Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if anything, to make this team relevant while Pierce is still here? The other thread got me thinking - the Wally/Ricky trade doesn't make sense unless Ainge is trying to build something while Pierce is still in his prime. So my questions to you are:

1) will Ainge make moves to become serious while Pierce is still here?

2) What moves will these be? The only chips we have are young guys and picks.

3) Danny Ainge sucks, I don't want to answer seriously to this topic.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
There really isn't anything else they can do shy of a Pierce trade. Right now their roster is divided between high salary/long term contracts and rookie scale contracts. The only two players in between those extremes are the (at present) untradable & indigestible Veal & Spotted Dickau. Their rookie scale contracts, except for Jefferson's, are all for low first round picks & second round picks, and even Big Al's is a low money non-lottery deal. Even to trade for another rookie scale deal involves packaging two or three of their young players together. Their other possible asset, a low lottery pick from LA has been rendered void by Bryant's spectacular play this year, because that pick will now end up in Phoenix. If LA had missed the postseason and Boston got the 13th/14th pick as a result, they might have been able to flip it to Detroit or Phoenix for a better future pick, but that shot's gone too. That leaves their long term/high salary contracts as trade bait, and two of those three deals are untradable. That leaves Pierce as their only tradable asset. Sad to say, but there it is. Presuming Garnett is not dealt to either New York or Chicago, Pierce will probably be a Bull next year.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I think they REALLY, REALLY need to focus on developing their young talent. In particular, I would like to see WAYYYYYYYY more minutes given to Perk and Tony Allen. It is also very important to bring along the two Green<e>s and let them do a trial by fire.

I am not sold on Delonte West yet. His numbers aren't bad at all, actually, but for some reason he just doesn't seem like a great shooter to me.

As for Al Jefferson, the guy just does not have "it." He'll be a really good 6th/7th man backing up Ryan Gomes.

West
Pierce
Wally
Gomes
Perk

Allen
AJ

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
Premier said:
...and for the right to take Adam Morrison with the Knicks pick.

:cry:
Thankfully we'll be spared that indignity, I hope. Let's put it this way, if the Bulls choose Adam Morrison, we'll know that Pierce will be traded there July 2nd. If not, it will be another deal later in the summer. As of now the Bulls are over the cap, and don't have the salary to match up with Pierce outside Tyson Chandler, but TC's a BYC player until 7/1/07, so unless a third team's involved, a Pierce to Chicago deal can't happen until the start of free agent season. Otherwise I see Chicago taking the best big man available in hopes of using him to entice Minnesota into a Garnett trade.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Ainge was going to trade Pierce, he should've done it sometime this year in order to a) get the most value and b) get a higher pick.

Also, if DA is planning to trade Pierce, the Wally trade officially makes NO sense.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
Then they're standing pat. Because there are no moves to make. If there's going to be a trade, it has to be Pierce because they don't have anything else left. Unless you think that Thomas will trade Jalen Rose and Channing Frye for Raef Lafrentz Pierce has to win with the teammates he has, and I agree, they're spinning their wheels as is. If they stand pat he'll leave in 2008 to play for a contender.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Attila said:
I don't know, Pierce and Wally are both 3's. I suppose if they Pierce for a 2, then I could see why they made the move.
those guys can both easily play the 2 spot.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't understand why people think Pierce will be moved? I'd say the chances are very slim. It is apparent that they want him to be the face of this franchise for many years to come and are trying to add pieces around him. I think that is the right plan, but it won't get you anywhere with the way that the Celtics, especially Doc Rivers, develop young talent. Seriously, it would take about 52 NASA scientists to figure out some rhyme or reason to Doc's rotations, not to mention why Scalabrine ever gets off the bench for more than 4-6 minutes a game.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Paul is not being traded, the Wally trade proved they have made their decision and they are sticking with Paul. Tony Allen was not named as part of the "core" by Danny.....he is trade bait to me. The "core" he named was Paul, Wally, Perk, Delonte, Al, Ryan and Raef. I think they could easily get rid of Raef at this point if they put him in a package with TA and a draft pick etc...I think we could get some solid help, we don't need stars, just solid guys.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
They have no way of adding pieces. They can't sign any full MLE deals without busting the budget in 2008-09 (and threatening $100 million in payroll expenses, luxury tax inclusive). The only possible trade left is Pierce. So what you see is what you get, a team stuck in the bottom half of the Eastern conference. And that's why Pierce will be gone, one way or another, in two years.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If we trade Pierce, in order to get Morrison aka Wally Szczerbiak Jr....

ugh....

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Well I disagree, I think a lot of teams are interested in a healthy Tony Allen and a 1st round draft pick that we most certainly don't need........Raef is the salary and we have fringe guys like Scal, Dickau, and Orienn that can be added if needed to match salaries. What I think this team needs the most is a veteran pass first point guard and for Delonte to become the 6th man. I'm not sure who I think would work, not a superstar, just a solid guy like Brevin Knight or Luke Ridnour. Honestly, at this point I'm not totally adversarial to putting Al in a deal if it brings us a true PG because I like our lineup if it's
Vet Passing PG
Paul
Wally
Ryan
Perk

6th Man Delonte

Bench
Gerald
Whoever else is left

By the way I'm not giving up on Al, but if it was the right deal, I just don't think he's untouchable anymore.

·
Where he belongs...
3,813 Posts
DWest Superstar said:
Do you really think West would be benched for Brevin Knight?

uhhhhh....YEA...brevin knight is MILES ahead of west as a pg...i mean its not even close...and if u would like to disagree please give me proof cuz heres mine...knight already has 48 games this year where hes had 7 or more assists...MANY of then being 10 or more...delonte has 13 games this years with 7 or more assists...one of them being 10...there is no comparison when ur looking at whos a better pg...none

·
Registered
614 Posts
Lets get Steve Blake for some garbage so the dude can run the uptempo offense. Hes nasty at controlling the flow, and he can shoot the rock. If we could get him for cheap hell motha ****in yeah.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.