Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG etc. era coming to a close, it got me to thinking. What team will the players that hopped around a lot through their career be associated with? Obviously guys like Duncan and Kobe have stayed put, but there's plenty of guys that moved around quite a bit. Will we remember Shaq as a Laker? KG as a Timberwolf or Celtic? I thought this could be kind of a cool way to reminisce over some of our older favoties.

Here's some names to throw around to get this started -

Shaq
Kevin Garnett
Tracy Mcgrady
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Grant Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

off the top of my head. I'm sure there's countless others that will be brought up throughout this thread, and even though he's not even close to being on the way out, why not -

LeBron

Have at it.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
fat bastard
fake tough guy
fragile flower
great shooter
the greatest laker PG of all time
wife beater
fragile flower 2
some old dude from a previous generation

right there with Mike

·
Mammal
2,299 Posts
Guys that have moved a bit, like Shaq, Ray Allen, they'll be remembered more for the unique aspects of their game rather than their time spent with one team. Although, I will say that despite any of Kobe's successes without the big fella, L.A. has a vested interest in possessing his reputation. He goes down as a Laker.

Dikembe, same idea. Although he'll be remembered for a lot more than his shotblocking.

KG's hard, man. That "fake tough guy" image is one he'll never fully shake, but he's a passionate dude and that can't be questioned when talking about his work ethic. I think he'll go down as a Celtic, but nobody's ever going to forget the 12 seasons he put in as a a member of the Timberwolves, especially Minnesota.

Steve Nash is a Sun, J-Kidd.. Nets. But, again, they'll be remembered more as incredible point guards.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Shaq - Lakers
Kevin Garnett - Celtics
Tracy Mcgrady - Rockets
Ray Allen - Celtics
Steve Nash - Suns
Jason Kidd - Nets
Grant Hill - Pistons
Dikembe Mutumbo - Hawks

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
How is Ray Allen remembered as a Celtic but Kidd as a Net? Both those guys had their best years on their original teams and got a single trophy on their ring-seeking excursions.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Shaq - Lakers
Kevin Garnett - Celtics
Tracy Mcgrady - Rockets
Ray Allen - Celtics
Steve Nash - Suns
Jason Kidd - Nets
Grant Hill - Pistons
Dikembe Mutumbo - Hawks
TMac has to be for the Magic I'd say. Allen is a toss up. I think he's moved around too much to be remembered for a team. When I think back on him I'll probably picture him in a Sonics or Bucks jersey though I think.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
You're right about KG though, which is crazy. I mean he was the Wolves. To picture him in a Celtics jersey and not a Wolves feels strange.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
How is Ray Allen remembered as a Celtic but Kidd as a Net? Both those guys had their best years on their original teams and got a single trophy on their ring-seeking excursions.

Because I think that most people will remember Kidd for turning around the Nets and Allen for his tenure with the Big 3.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm leaning towards Allen as a Sonic. I have no idea about KG.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I'm leaning towards Allen as a Sonic. I have no idea about KG.
KG is the hard one. I mean he was the Wolves, but now he is the Celtics.

Because of the championship I think he'll be remembered for the Celtics when it comes time to pick the primary for him.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Allen will be remembered for Jesus Shuttleworth.

McGrady is Magic.

Shaq will always be a Laker.

Amare would be an interesting topic.

Carter a Raptor?

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Shaq - Lakers
Kevin Garnett - Celtics
Tracy Mcgrady - Magic
Ray Allen - I can't even answer this objectively. I think he'll just be remembered for the 3-point record more than any of his eras with a team
Steve Nash - Suns
Jason Kidd - Nets
Grant Hill - Pistons
Dikembe Mutumbo - Nuggets (Rockets by the younger crowd)

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Allen will be remembered for Jesus Shuttleworth.

McGrady is Magic.

Shaq will always be a Laker.

Amare would be an interesting topic.

Carter a Raptor?
Hard call on Carter too. He's played for too many teams.

Should be Raptors but for some reason when I try to picture him right now, its in a Magic jersey, and that ain't right.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
With the Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG etc. era coming to a close, it got me to thinking. What team will the players that hopped around a lot through their career be associated with? Obviously guys like Duncan and Kobe have stayed put, but there's plenty of guys that moved around quite a bit. Will we remember Shaq as a Laker? KG as a Timberwolf or Celtic? I thought this could be kind of a cool way to reminisce over some of our older favoties.

Here's some names to throw around to get this started -

Shaq
Kevin Garnett
Tracy Mcgrady
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Grant Hill
Dikembe Mutumbo

off the top of my head. I'm sure there's countless others that will be brought up throughout this thread, and even though he's not even close to being on the way out, why not -

LeBron

Have at it.
All Great Players

Shaq, overopinion of himself, and a liar. Most dominant player in the game for a number of years
KG, Obnoxious POS leader. Clutch player
T-Mac, couldn't make it out of the 1st rd
Ray Allen, Great, great shooter, big baby.
Nash, Great, great shooter and great, great passer. Sold out to the Lakers
Kidd, great passer, best court vision I've ever seen, unbelievably instinctive rebounder, Big ego that he doesn't like to show to the public, very big liar to the media
Grant Hill, humble, talented a whole lotta heart
Deke, shotblocking, rebounding cookie monster. Not really a winner.
Lebron could wind up being the greatest player ever, and he will always be remembered for 'The Decision'.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Ray Allen - I can't even answer this objectively. I think he'll just be remembered for the 3-point record more than any of his eras with a team
I actually completely agree with you, he'll go down as a bit of a hired gun who was the best three-point shooter to date. Especially assuming that he wins one or more championships in Miami before retiring. He did too much in Milwaukee and Seattle to just write those two places off, was never really a "core" guy emotionally to the C's(although he was as a talent), and he'll be a supporting character in Miami(albeit the best supporting guy). I don't think he really gets remembered as a member of any one franchise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts