Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
116,017 Posts
I hope we do get rid of him. Keep James Jones (rumor about getting rid of him to extend Barbosa) or even if we don't. Barbosa keeps someone else from coming in lol.. I'm not sure as to why our front office loves Barbosa so much. erratic, and too frenetic for my taste,

Reactions: Floods

· Registered
381 Posts
Barbosa played in a Brazilian minor league before being drafted. He had to learn English and how to play in the NBA. Injuries slowed him a bit, but he's been improving a lot this season.

Some people dump on Leandro because he's not a classic point guard, but he is beginning to become a distributor even though Diaw and House tend to split the backup PG role. What Leandro adds to the Suns is an unbelievably fast player who can get to the basket, shoot threes, and increasingly kick out to shooters. His defense has improved from awful to average but should keep getting better.

The guy Barbosa most resembles is Bobby Jackson of the Grizzlies, but Leandro is a much better shooter.

Leandro Barbosa
Phoenix Suns
Position: G
Height: 6-3 Weight: 188
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 12.4
RPG 2.4
APG 2.5
SPG .77
BPG .09
FG% .491
FT% .738
3P% .459
MPG 26.9

Bobby Jackson
Memphis Grizzlies
Height: 6-1 Weight: 185
College : Minnesota
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 11.4
RPG 3.2
APG 2.9
SPG .85
BPG .02
FG% .377
FT% .730
3P% .377
MPG 25.5

· Premium Member
116,017 Posts
SunsFan57 said:
I agree with Dissonances.

Barbosa is not the future 2 guard or point guard for this team.

We should get rid of him as soon as possible.

I can't stand his stupid decisions.

and if we could get a future first rd pick for him which I think is easier to come by. I'd love it.

Can't believe the ******* NY Knicks gave up a first rder this yr for Eddy Curry, probably didn't think they'd be this bad with Curry but funny thing is they prolly be just as bad or even worse w/o him. They had a chance to take Gay or Morrison or Aldridge potentially..for Curry. At least that would've been a start for something. Bulls though have a choice of making it this yrs pick of next yrs. Knicks could live with this yrs going to them, if Oden is in next yr.

· Registered
410 Posts
Last year I wanted Barbosa's head.

This year he has played quite well. His defense has picked up, his shot has improved, and he might be the fastest Sun ever...even faster then KJ.

I want to keep him. He fits is perfect with this team and can really cause matchup problems. He makes a tall point guard and a stupid fast off guard. When it comes time for Nash to retire or take it down a notch Barbosa may be ready to assume the PG duties. I also have seen Nash out and about with Barbosa a few times in Phoenix. Perhaps Nash is mentoring him? That is good.

Barbosa now does not seem out of control and makes much better decisions then he did last year.

I now know why the Suns are so high on him. He could be the next KJ if his passing improves.

Sorry but not even a high #1 would interest me at this time. However, we may try and steal Bosh away when he becomes a free agent. :banana:

· Premium Member
116,017 Posts
sunsaz said:
If the Raptors do business with us, I will cut somebody.

Colangelo leaving was no sweat off my balls. I could careless. He didn't do everything himself as in make decisions with drafting players/bringing in players. So, I don't take it personal cuz him leaving doesn't mean we'll suffer or be worse in the future.

· Registered
523 Posts
i agree with Barbosa supporters. Kid is one of the top 3 three point shooters in the league, not to mention one of the fastest. He can score on anybody. No, he isnt the pg the Suns wanted him to be, but the kid is good. I'd take Barbs over James Jones any day of the week. What has James Jones done for me lately? Absolutely jack ****.

· _(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
azirishmusic said:
The guy Barbosa most resembles is Bobby Jackson of the Grizzlies, but Leandro is a much better shooter.

Leandro Barbosa

Bobby Jackson
Memphis Grizzlies
Height: 6-1 Weight: 185
College : Minnesota
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 11.4
RPG 3.2
APG 2.9
SPG .85
BPG .02
FG% .377
FT% .730
3P% .377
MPG 25.5
So does Leandro take terrible shots that kill the offensive flow, never pass the ball, hold the ball for 18 seconds at a time, fire up airballs, hardly ever get back for defense, and just generally not have a conscience?

Because that's Bobby Jackson in a nutshell.

· Registered
523 Posts
dannyM said:
Do you think Barbosa has the ability to run the point?
Yes, I believe Barbosa has the ability to run the point. If u wanted to get techinical, i think Kobe Bryant has the ability to run the point, but the fact of the matter is, Barbosa is not a natural point guard. Hes a shoot first, pass second type of player, and i guess the Suns organization wanted him to be a Steve Nash, but hes not. The Suns, I believe have realized this and should go elsewhere to try to find the Steve Nash/Jason Kidd player they were trying to find in Barbosa. Barbosa has proven that hes a prolific scorer, and he'd rather do that than get everyone involved. Thats wat he likes to do, and hes damn good at it. We should pursue Ridnour!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
622 Posts
RebelSun said:
Right now, a 1st rounder in the near future. They're not gonna let him walk with another year left for nothing.

they wouldn't trade him for a first rounder. he's quickly becoming too valuable. i see shades of microwave in him. he's instant offense. too quick for most defenders and a developing long-range stud. he's surprised me with his development. will he ever be a point guard? prolly not. but an excellent third guard off the bench. i see him winning multiple sixth man of the year awards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.