Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I do not expect to be a playoff team so if we dont make the playoffs I wont be heartbroken so here are some things that if I see happen I will be pleased.

-If the baby bulls (EC, TC, and JWill) progress and show alot of improvement from the beginning of the season to the end I will be happy with them.

-If JK can pull off some good roster moves that will either help the team now or in 2003 I will be pleased in that respect.

-A win loss record isnt what ill look at as a success even though I would be happy if we won around 35 games, what I am looking for is to see how competative we can be against the teams in the NBA. As long as we can stay in games it will show that we will be contenders in the future, and after a season of gel-ing together we will be able to turn close losses into wins.

-If Erob and Crawford can somehow avoid injuries and play a productive role for the team that would be great, though I am not sure whether or not they will be part of our roster by the trading deadline.

-If we play well as a team and can hold our composure that will be a positive sign for the upcoming seasons.

-If Baxter can show that he can come off the bench and play solid minutes when needed and not be a liability, play solid D and pick up rebounds and show potential to be a Dennis Rodman type,(hopefully with a better attitude) I will be very excited about this guy.

-If Jay Williams is in the running for the rookie of the year I think the future may come sooner rather than later.

I will be dis-satisfied if we end up being the worst team in the league and our young guys dont show improvements and we finish the season just as good as we started. But anything can happen to alter the definition of a successful season, depending on injuries to key players and so on. So what will you guys consider a success or a blow to the team?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jwill scoring 20.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
If the Bulls Sign Lewis i think they got a shot at the Playoff the Eastern Confernce is Weak

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>SUandLAC#1</b>!
If the Bulls Sign Lewis i think they got a shot at the Playoff the Eastern Confernce is Weak
Yeah, they would have a legit shot at the playoffs but if they signed lewis would they be able to sign JWill, Curry, and Chandler when their contracts are up. Id rather have a shot at being a championship calibre team tomorrow then being a first round playoff team today.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
We have all seen it in the past....

Originally posted by <b>ScottVdub</b>!

Yeah, they would have a legit shot at the playoffs but if they signed lewis would they be able to sign JWill, Curry, and Chandler when their contracts are up. Id rather have a shot at being a championship calibre team tomorrow then being a first round playoff team today.
For the most part there is only one, but a lot of the times, TWO bonafide superstars on a championship team......Whether it will be Jay Williams, Tyson Chandler, Eddie Curry, Jamal Crawford, Eddie Robinson, Jalen Rose or even Dalibor Bagaric(I added him to soothe the hurt some might feel over his being "picked on" in another thread!! LOL), the others on this roster will have to, or MUST assume the roles of the Ron Harpers, Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc, BJ Armstrong, John paxson, Steve kerr and others for this team to return to any resemblence of a champion. Some here figure those two stars to be Curry and Chandler. I am not sold on that. I could see it being others such as Jay Williams and a Rashard Lewis. It could happen.:grinning:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Individual & team goals

Tyson - rebound in traffic and alter shots.
Curry - avoid stretches of invisibility on court.
ERob - play 70+ games.
Craw - show increasing aggression and assertiveness.
Jay - continually improve decision making, when to drive, pass, shoot
Fizer - show patience and control on O, effort on D & boards
Jalen - less whining to the refs
Hassell - just fill in all the gaps

Team - show growth on d, share the ball, be patient, and show continuous effort, focus, and improvement. 30+ wins.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, this thread is already starting to get a little off topic, back to the topic. What would have to happen for you to be pleased with the Bulls this season? and what would have to happen for you to be disapointed in this years team?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For the Bulls to fininish..

...with 45 wins and/or to finish ahead of the pacers!!! :laugh: eh, VinDiesel???:grinning:

But seriously, to see, by the all star break, a flow of "continuity" amongst our players. For Jay Williams to be beginning to have a handle on the duties of PG. His numbers could be 12-15pts, 7-9 assists, 1-3 steals, and 2-4 rebounds. Chandler, well, (him being our PF STILL goes against my feelings of where he should be playing, but I have submitted to the ideas of others!) to bulk up SOME, and not be used as a human pin ball in the paint, to score 15-20 pts, 10-12 rebounds, and maybe 3 blocks per game. Curry, to stay OUT of foul trouble, score 10-15 points, 10-18 rebounds, and 2-4 blocks per game. Rose, to be consistently scoring 19-25 pts, 5-7 assists, 4-6 rebounds. Hassell, 15-20 pts, 3-5 assists, 5-7 rebounds, and 3-5 steals a game. I feel these will be our starters barring any unforseen injuries(God please not this year again?) I look for Jamal Crawford to be our 6th man, fizer, erob, baxter and mason to be an adequate bench. I hope and pray Bagaric will hold down his position on the bench or the I/R as this is where he plays his best.(There, was THAT too strong against poor dali???) This all changes if Harpring and or Lewis come into the picture. I still would love to see Timmy hardaway be brought in as a mentor for Jay...this would help him immensely, in my opinion. I hope it is not necessary by the all star break to have to see Fred Hoiberg playing SF due to injuries. No offense Fred, but your game should not be on the court more than 5-10 minutes a game, MAX.

Its time to see what we got when we let Elton go......Chandler, Curry, TIME to step it up....lets see what you have learned and maybe a "taste" of what we can come to expect as Bulls fans?:yes:

What NOT to see? hamstrings, groins, muscles pulled- these are avoidable injuries through proper training. I will always use MJ as an example, with the exception of a broken foot, this guy could NOT be kept off the court! Personal trainers and actually taking time away from selfish issues, to condition themselves, will go a LONG way to maintaining their durability in this league. No more SILLY and inexcusable injuries causing further delays in the maturing and "gelling" process this team must still go through, please???? :upset:

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Bulls go 82-0, and 15-0 in the playoffs. Well, maybe not.

If the Bulls show that they are going to progress into a playoff team the following year and Curry, Chandler, and Williams all show that they are going to be stars in the league I will be satisified. That doesn't mean they will be stars this year, but you can tell when a player is going to be something really special. After Pippen and Grant's rookie year you knew those two were going to be forces in the league. I want to know by the end of this year that those 3 will be stars in the near future and not just potential.

I would also like to see Fizer and Crawford play well enough to increase their trade value and we get something valuable in return for them. I really don't see them as being part of the future for the Bulls. If Williams, Curry, and Chandler do in fact develop into solid pro's then fizer and Crawford have little playing time on this team in the future. E-Rob also needs to show enough to at least convince another NBA team to take on his salary.

Bagaric on a plane home would also be a success.

The main thing this season is seeing "potential" transpire into solid NBA player. I don't want to hear next summer on how these guys dissapointed during the season but they need a few more years. This is the year these guys have to get through the growing pains and show how next year they will be a force in the NBA.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
BamaBull -- I really like your optimism, but I think your number predictions are a bit inflated --

I know we all like to imagine that guys like Jay Williams, Crawford and Fizer, Hassel, Chandler and Curry are all going to average more than 10pts/game, but that's just unrealistic

you didn't post a points scored average for Craw or Fizer, but the guys you did post averaged a total of 78pts/game -- even being very optimistic about this teams offense, they're not going to score more than 90pts on a nightly basis

i think given their roles, and the amount of time spent on court, guys like hassell and crawford are going to average about 8pts a game. if they can stay out of foul trouble the kids will also put up close to 8pts a game.

the only players on the team i can really see averaging more than 10 are Rose and Fizer... perhaps Williams as well

eventually, when the younger guys fulfill their potential, you'll probably start seeing the Bulls average around 100pts/game, and perhaps even those inflated stats were so fond of

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I will consider it a succesful season if:

A.) The Bulls are at least sniffing an eight seed playoff berth, even if they miss it. Winning 35 games would be a huge improvement.

B.) Curry is showing a nasty streak, dunking on players often and improving on his defense and rebounding. Chandler is playing more like a man, intimidating in the lane, getting put back dunks and occassionaly showing a little base line jumper that works.

C.) Crawford is able to play heatlthy all season and he asserts himself driving to the basket and converting at a high %, he also becomes better at fighting through screens because of better upper body strength and more practice.

D.) E-Rob stays healthy all seaosn and proves to be a major contributor.

E.) Fizer continues to show the ability to score at will, but he also becomes more cognizant of where his teamates are at and he begins to pass out of the double team effectively. His defense improves, he gets the rotations and he shows an ability to pull down some boards.

F.) Rose continues strong play from last year, passing to the younger players who actually catch it this time.

G.) Whatever free agents we add actually help the team

H.) JWill shows flashes of being a good NBA caliber pg

I.) Baxter and Mason show something.

J.) Cartwright continues to be a good young coach, his assisstants gel with him.

K.) No knee jerk trades are made.

Of course, it is unlikely that ALL of these circumstances will be met. But, if the majority of them are met then I will be happy. If the team fails to bust the 30 win mark this year I will be very dissapointed.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
No, this is not about Balla....

Thought some guys might want to check their predictions...... had some very good ones on this thread, and some posters right on the money.

Good job, guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts