Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's assume that the Blazers could get Vince Carter or Ray Allen for a sign-and-trade package of Shareef and Joel Przybilla. Obviously, giving up Shareef is something that we've all assumed would happen anyway, so that's the easy part of the deal. But if the other team demands Joel as a sweetener to the deal, would you do it? What if they want our first round pick this year?

Bottom line: What's it worth to you to add an All-Star shooting guard to our roster next season?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would do it if it came down to us not being able to get under the cap by getting rid of Miles and Ratliff for expiring contracts. It depends the kind of star we're talking about, Carter and Allen, no. They are getting up there in age and by the time this team hits its prime they will be long gone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't think we can or should get rid of Prizz for anybody, espscially with the way he has been preforming. I would rather see us get rid of frahm, but he wouldn't help us get anybody good either soo.. mabye trade SAR, frahm, and HA, and or a draft pick for someone like Cory Maggete or Quentin Richerdson

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I would wait till after the draft.

If we can somehow get our hands on Bogut (or another top big man), Przy becomes expendable - especially if we don't think we can re-sign him after next year. We would have Bogut, Theo and the possibility of Ha and Nedzad down the line.

It would be better to trade him for someone who is really going to help the team - Joe Johnson? - than to lose him like Gilbert Arenas.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I agree with waiting til the draft comes and then we will have to worry that Portland might be drafting for another team in a trade to nab a proven player. I think that unless Portland is picking in the top 3-4 of the draft they could be drafting for another team, happens all the time........doesn't it?

So does it mean that if Portland draft's a point guard or small forward it means that they are going to trade them? Maybe, maybe not. We just have to sit back and enjoy the ride, this should be a very interesting draft to say the least. :yes:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
As far as talent goes, Przybilla is untouchable, but with his contract, it might be better to get value for him while we can. Becuase of his contract, I would rather trade him than Ha, I would still like to keep him though. I think that we have enough young players at just about every position, but I like all of the ones we have now, so I would rather trade the pick, if any of the prospects. I'm not sure what a team might want from us, but a team that wants a high pick might be in rebuild mode, and therefore, prefer NVE's expiring contract to a sign and trade with Reef. And to answer the question of the thread, yes, I would like to trade almost anything except our newest young prospects for a top SG.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I'd be willing to trade Zach or Miles and fillers if it would return a solid 2 guard with some veteran leadership. If Joe Johnson isn't available, someone like Paul Pierce may do the trick in terms of leadership.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Silly thought, but anyone think it's possible to spin some combination of non-Telfair assets into the top two picks in the draft? Assuming Marvin Williams comes out, what if the Blazers could pick up both Bogut and Williams? Even if it meant giving up Randolph, Przybilla, Outlaw...wouldn't a young core of Sebastian Telfair, Marvin Williams and Andrew Bogut be worth it?

Of course, we'd have to take back major filler, but maybe something like Przybilla, Outlaw, Randolph and Portland's pick (assuming it is not top 2) would be enough. The pick and Przybilla for the top pick and Randolph and Outlaw for the second pick.

I guess I'm really feeding into the hype of the top-rated prospects. Plus I want Portland's dip into the upper reaches (lowest depths) of the lottery to be as productive as possible.

Reactions: gambitnut

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
ballerchick said:
I don't think we can or should get rid of Prizz for anybody, espscially with the way he has been preforming.
the point is that given the way Joel has been performing, and given that Portland does not hold his Bird rights, the Blazers have little chance of retaining him once his contract runs out after next season. Would you rather keep him through next year and lose him without compensation or trade him this offseason for value to a team under the cap that can resign him? I would presume a 26 year old starting center has significant value.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Minstrel said:
Silly thought, but anyone think it's possible to spin some combination of non-Telfair assets into the top two picks in the draft? Assuming Marvin Williams comes out, what if the Blazers could pick up both Bogut and Williams? Even if it meant giving up Randolph, Przybilla, Outlaw...wouldn't a young core of Sebastian Telfair, Marvin Williams and Andrew Bogut be worth it?

Of course, we'd have to take back major filler, but maybe something like Przybilla, Outlaw, Randolph and Portland's pick (assuming it is not top 2) would be enough. The pick and Przybilla for the top pick and Randolph and Outlaw for the second pick.

I guess I'm really feeding into the hype of the top-rated prospects. Plus I want Portland's dip into the upper reaches (lowest depths) of the lottery to be as productive as possible.
I wouldn't be opposed to that, necessarily. I like Bogut, and think he's going to be a solid player in the NBA (possibly a VERY good player in the near future), but the player I really would like to get is Marvin Williams (assuming he declares and is available when we pick). This guy has the potential to be a HUGE star in the NBA. His numbers would've been disgusting (in a good way) this year, in the ACC, if he (a) played more minutes, and (b) if he was more of a focal point on the team. And, it appears, the only reason he didn't get more minutes or become more of a focal point for the team, is because he's a freshman.

Of course, it's still unclear as to whether or not he'll actually declare, I have a feeling he will if the team reaches (at least) The Final Four. And he'd absolutely HAVE TO, IMO, if his team wins the the championship.

Not to say that I'd be upset to get Bogut, but I think if we actually have a choice between the two, you absolutely have to take Big Marv'.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
STOMP said:
Q. What's an All-Star Worth?

A. Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton

Baron is on ESPN tearing up the Mavs as I type.

STOMP

And by tearing it up you mean losing the game and shooting less than 50% then yea, he's tearing it up.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Sambonius said:
And by tearing it up you mean losing the game and shooting less than 50% then yea, he's tearing it up.
ahhh the benefit of 20/20 hindsite... still as I type 19 points on 17 shots, 5 rbs, 7 assts, 4 stls. The W's are losing to one of the top teams in the West without their starting 4 and having had their starting 3 tossed... here's to you Sam :cheers:

STOMP

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
2 years from now Joel will be an allstar, VC will be retired and Ray Allen will be fading into a backup role.

We are well into the rebuilding mode now and have some great pieces who will only improve. The last thing we need now are aging super-egos to clutter it up.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
STOMP said:
ahhh the benefit of 20/20 hindsite... still as I type 19 points on 17 shots, 5 rbs, 7 assts, 4 stls. The W's are losing to one of the top teams in the West without their starting 4 and having had their starting 3 tossed... here's to you Sam :cheers:

STOMP
Remember, Dale Davis is a former all-star too kiddo. I was actually pulling for GS, I want them to gain some wins so we can get a better lotto pick. There starting 4 is always injured so they should be accustomed to that, and Dunleavy got tossed because his backup acquired from Phoenix is out playing him, just my opinion though. Cheers.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Sambonius said:
Remember, Dale Davis is a former all-star too kiddo. I was actually pulling for GS, I want them to gain some wins so we can get a better lotto pick. There starting 4 is always injured so they should be accustomed to that, and Dunleavy got tossed because his backup acquired from Phoenix is out playing him, just my opinion though. Cheers.
kiddo? Seriously... pop your head out and enjoy the fresh air.

Their starting 4 is a double double machine whose one of the leading 3 pt% shooters in the league. He hasn't missed a game in a month plus and tonight he missed a game not to injury but for "personal reasons."

Dunleavy was tossed because he railed about a bogus charging call... he definitely lost his cool. We're all entitled to our opinion and all... but your claim :rolleyes: that he was tossed because his backup was outplaying him is a major stretch. 4 fouls in 11 minutes at home is probably more apprapro as to why he was frustrated, and the last foul was a plain stupid (if you were watching you'd know).

Anyhoo, Baron is a stud whose producing like the All-Star he is. According to those who report on Nash's email, John passed... I questioned that from day 1.

STOMP

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
STOMP said:
kiddo? Seriously... pop your head out and enjoy the fresh air.
Looking for an ego boost huh? Don't be so defensive kiddo.

Their starting 4 is a double double machine whose one of the leading 3 pt% shooters in the league. He hasn't missed a game in a month plus and tonight he missed a game not to injury but for "personal reasons."
Having your starting PF lead the league in 3 pt % really isn't something to brag about, I think staying healthy and being there for your team consistently is more important. You saying He hasn't missed a game in a month is pretty funny, as if he deserves an accolade for doing so.

Dunleavy was tossed because he railed about a bogus charging call... he definitely lost his cool. We're all entitled to our opinion and all... but your claim :rolleyes: that he was tossed because his backup was outplaying him is a major stretch. 4 fouls in 11 minutes at home is probably more apprapro as to why he was frustrated, and the last foul was a plain stupid (if you were watching you'd know).

I did watch the whole play, and it wasn't very stupid. He dropped his shoulder and went through the defender, the call could have gone either way. Get off his sack. His backup has INDEED out played him since arriving to GS. For a former #3 pick, Dunleavy looks as soft as his Dad is when coaching. He's a bust thus far.

Anyhoo, Baron is a stud whose producing like the All-Star he is. According to those who report on Nash's email, John passed... I questioned that from day 1.

STOMP
He's a former all-star, Dale Davis has been an all-star, Penny Hardaway too, doesn't really mean much because that was in the past. Though he's only 25 years old(less than a month from being 26), he's visibly out of his prime and is the biggest example of why owners want non-guaranteed contracts. He WAS a stud, I want to see him play a full season again before anyone crowns him as a stud, he's the NBA's new Allan Houston. I'm more than glad we passed on his injury prone butt. You would think the guy is made out of popsicle sticks with the games he misses.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
26 years old is not out of your prime.....

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
26 years old is not out of your prime.....
in fact according to most, it's two years from entering it.

I don't root for MDjr or the W's any more then Dirk and the Mavs. I'm a Blazer fan who's not happy with our lousy team. Unfortunately (IMO) Nash passed on a major talent that could have really helped the club.

I guess we'll see who's right down the line won't we Sam?

STOMP

1 - 20 of 69 Posts