Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I have a feeling they are going to be a trendsetter, which really does suck.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Northeastern has canceled the game due to positive Covid results within the program. They will try to play again next Wednesday against St Bonaventure.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
So, Seton Hall, after canceling today's tilt with Iona, has also canceled Monday's game vs St John's. It will have to count as a forfeit for Big East standings but doesn't go against their overall record.

A few days ago, Cleveland State notified Duke they wouldn't be able to play. Duke plugged in Loyola (MD) but then the Greyhounds had to back out due to Covid. Well, they now are scheduled to play Elon today. Crazy.

Syracuse has canceled their next 2 games, vs Lehigh and Cornell.

Undefeated #23 Colorado State canceled today's game vs Tulsa as well as their game Tuesday night vs #6 Alabama.

I saw that this makes at least 20 men's games and over 35 women's games canceled thus far. I have a feeling that is going to grow rather quickly over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
So, today alone, this the list of games that were originally scheduled and have been either postponed or outright canceled:

Iona vs #16 Seton Hall
#18 Tennessee vs Memphis
#23 Colorado State vs Tulsa
Grambling at Tulane
DePaul at Northwestern
UCF vs Florida State
Penn State at VCU
UT-Martin at Evansville
Rider at Rutgers
Lehigh at Syracuse

AND 4 women's games:

VCU vs Tennessee State
St Bonaventure at Robert Morris
Eastern Michigan at IUPUI
Canton at Albany

That is not good.

·
U of AZ 72
168 Posts
So, today alone, this the list of games that were originally scheduled and have been either postponed or outright canceled:

Iona vs #16 Seton Hall
#18 Tennessee vs Memphis
#23 Colorado State vs Tulsa
Grambling at Tulane
DePaul at Northwestern
UCF vs Florida State
Penn State at VCU
UT-Martin at Evansville
Rider at Rutgers
Lehigh at Syracuse

AND 4 women's games:

VCU vs Tennessee State
St Bonaventure at Robert Morris
Eastern Michigan at IUPUI
Canton at Albany

That is not good.
Get used to it . I think it will be a repeat of last year. The Omicron variant is way more contagious and looks like it will dominate in the future. The good news is that it appears to be way less lethal which may be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Get used to it . I think it will be a repeat of last year. The Omicron variant is way more contagious and looks like it will dominate in the future. The good news is that it appears to be way less lethal which may be a blessing in disguise.
I'm afraid you are probably right. This is just the leading edge of the omicron variant and the number of cases is breaking records already. I wonder if students will return to campus after the break.

Since teams forfeit and take a loss in conference games if they can't play due to covid, we may end up with a very unexpected conference champion. It may be Maine's big chance. It's going to be another weird season.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Looks like another 7 men's and 7 women's games were canceled/postponed today.

Also, my son was watching the Premier League and I happened to hear that they are having a zoom call tomorrow amongst all the teams to decide what they are going to do moving forward. There has been some serious push back from certain clubs about continuing to play when some are down several players, some of them key members.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Tonight had 21 D1 games scheduled, but 6 (29%) were cancelled/forfeited today. It's going to be another asterisk season, or probably half-season. Omicron has gone from being low level a couple days ago to 73% of US cases today, and it's like a windblown fire now. Please do everything you can to stay safe.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
The NHL is shutting down a couple of days early for the holiday. Including the games they will lose this week, they will have now postponed 49 games. Over 15% of all the players in the league are currently in covid protocols and 11 teams have paused operations.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Looks like almost 30 men's & women's NCAA hoops games are postponed/canceled today alone.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
NFL is a mess too. I imagine a pause is coming with the amount of players in protocol each week.
I'm not a gambling man, but I would have to assume the players that are out from week to week in not only the NFL, but also day to day in the NBA, NHL and NCAA is really making it difficult on the people that set the betting lines. Are bettors able to request refunds or cancel if a guy is all of a sudden ruled out just before a game? I don't know how that works.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I don't think anything such as seasons being shut down for good or anything is going to happen (pro leagues/broadcasters/schools just don't want to take the loss of money anymore)...maybe some schools/leagues go no fans (I don't see the AE doing this at the moment but who knows)....but I do know if the NCAA wants to make sure it can get off a tournament for men's basketball, it probably needs to be investigating single-site cities where they can make it happen for bubble-like environments as they did last year, and probably have attendance capacity caps at most venues.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I don't know that there is any other city/area that can do it like Indy. The proximity of all the hotels, the facailities, the walkways, etc. The city is just designed perfectly for a massive event like this. Having a professional football stadium with a roof is pretty much a necessity. I really can't think of another city that has all of that, plus all within just a few miles of each other (obviously Mackey Arena and Assembly Hall aren't right there, but they were just used for early round games).

Here's a question...with how damn fast this variant seems to infect everybody, is there a possibility that it comes & goes before the NCAA Tournament? I mean, it has infected so many people already and got here only a short time ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,970 Posts
I don't know that there is any other city/area that can do it like Indy. The proximity of all the hotels, the facailities, the walkways, etc. The city is just designed perfectly for a massive event like this. Having a professional football stadium with a roof is pretty much a necessity. I really can't think of another city that has all of that, plus all within just a few miles of each other (obviously Mackey Arena and Assembly Hall aren't right there, but they were just used for early round games).

Here's a question...with how damn fast this variant seems to infect everybody, is there a possibility that it comes & goes before the NCAA Tournament? I mean, it has infected so many people already and got here only a short time ago.
They’re already starting to see it subside in South Africa, it’s fair to think so.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.