Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The Sigma variant will probably get us all by then so who really knows. There definitely has to be some level of contingency if this really does get out of hand and hasn't subsided by March in a major way.

Yes, Indy is the only place that can probably do it from start to finish. Whether that's needed again, should be on the table. Whether they simply need everyone in one place (or state) up until the Final 4, they'd have more options. Off the top of my head, you could do the whole tourney up to the Final 4 (where you'd have to find the indoor football field as you say) in North Carolina and have enough venues within a reasonable distance of one another.

I don't know what will happen but if the NCAA isn't making sure they have it as a fallback plan at this point, they're being woefully unprepared.

Also, UVM requiring boosters from students by February 1:

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted but the 1/2 UVM/Albany game was postponed due to Albany COVID and this Saturday our game at Hartford already postponed due to Hartford COVID. Game vs UNH on ESPNU tomorrow night sounds likd it’s on, for now(?).

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted but the 1/2 UVM/Albany game was postponed due to Albany COVID and this Saturday our game at Hartford already postponed due to Hartford COVID. Game vs UNH on ESPNU tomorrow night sounds likd it’s on, for now(?).
Yeah, it sounds like it, though until the game tips, I wouldn't get too excited. UNH has been off since Mid-December as well, so assuming the teams are staying safe, on campus, there should be a pretty good chance this game goes off.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Unfortunately, I can't watch ESPNU because Burlington Telecom doesn't seem to offer it. I wish it got bundled with ESPN+.

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
Playing 1 out of every 3 scheduled conference games doesn’t seem…..sustainable?

Reactions: plash.ricrem

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't watch ESPNU because Burlington Telecom doesn't seem to offer it. I wish it got bundled with ESPN+.
Are you sure that you don't? I've seen games on ESPN+ that were promoted on ESPNU. I have U in my cable package, so perhaps that's why, but I wouldn't just assume that you don't get it with a ESPN+ subscription.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Playing 1 out of every 3 scheduled conference games doesn’t seem…..sustainable?
Agreed, the games are technically, "postponed". The teams are supposed to try to schedule a make up, or the league will. Things could definitely get crowded, schedule-wise in February.

I always wonder how seeding will happen if there are teams with different numbers of games played and significantly similar records...hopefully everyone gets their games in.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
It's my understanding that if a game can't be made up, the school that had to cancel the game because of their COVID issue will forfeit the game, creating a loser (them) and a winner (the other team). We could end up with champion who didn't play many games but kept their masks on.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
It's my understanding that if a game can't be made up, the school that had to cancel the game because of their COVID issue will forfeit the game, creating a loser (them) and a winner (the other team). We could end up with champion who didn't play many games but kept their masks on.
They amended this. It is not a forfeit but a no contest. They did what every other league has done. It will be niether a win or a loss.

"In the America East, it’s been decided that teams must play if they have at least eight players and one coach available. Teams are allowed to play with fewer than eight available players at their own discretion. If a game “is postponed due to an unavoidable and unforeseen conflict,” the schools have 72 hours to agree to a new date to play.

“If institutions are not able to agree to a date within the 72-hour time frame, the conference office, in consultation with the directors of athletics from the involved institutions, will determine the date for the rescheduled contest,” the league’s policy states. “If institutions are not able to agree to another date, then the conference office will make the final decision regarding the competition. If the conference office determines that a make-up contest is not feasible, the contest will be considered a ‘no contest.’”

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thanks Catpower. The forfeit thing was what I read early on and I'm glad it has been changed.

If classes go remote again I'm hoping that gives the teams more flexibility in scheduling the make-up games. I'm sure every player, coach and fan wants to play as full a schedule that's possible.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The NEC has kept the "forfeit" rule for its members - but as we know the W/L is not recognized by the NCAA; it is only reflected in the conference standings for purposes of conference seeding. I think the league simply decided it would have been to difficult/expensive to try to reschedule multiple games.

Also, usually only 8 teams qualify for the NEC Tourney; however, for this season only they have expanded the tourney to all 9 eligible schools (Merrimack remains ineligible as it transitions to D-I). This ensures no team misses out on the conference tourney due to these COVID forfeits.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Saved by a Youtube TV free trial! Burlington Telecom does have ESPNU (ch 26) but it's not HD.

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
Soooo….when we we play again? Looks like 1/12, is that correct (as of now?)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So far it's SBU at UVM 7PM 1/12. God willing and the creek don't rise, that's what will happen, but I'm not going to get excited until I see the tipoff.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
AE just announced new dates for Hartford's postponed games with UVM's men's and women's teams. Men will play 2/14. The women play 1/21 and 1/23.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Comprehensive list of changes from the league: 2021-22 #AEHoops Conference Game Schedule Adjustments - America East Conference

New changes today:
  • The New Hampshire at Stony Brook men’s basketball game scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 15 has been postponed due to COVID-19 issues within the UNH program. The game has been rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m.
  • The Maine at New Hampshire men’s basketball game originally scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 12 has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m.
  • The Maine at New Hampshire women’s basketball game on Wednesday. Jan. 26 will now be played at 4 p.m.
  • The New Hampshire at Maine men’s basketball game scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 25 has been moved to Monday, Jan. 24 at 7 p.m.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I’m a little surprised at how many fans were at the UVM-SBU game last night (this is based on the television angle, I wasn’t there). With omicron and the level of cases and virus both in Vermont and nationally right now I wouldnt have suspected so many in the stands.

At this point I‘m wondering if UVM or any school will out new restrictions in. I did watch the Devon Booker scandal the other night and it looks like Toronto is now barring any fans again at their games.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts