Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think if the Nets can manage to finish this season strong and end up with 50 wins then get to at least the 2nd round in the playoffs this season, 60 wins should be our goal for the Nets next season.

This season the Nets have been inconsistent because of the team trying to find itself, wierd and changing rotations, understanding the offense, Carter and RJ trying to figure out how to play together, and a lot of experimenting. Lack of size up front and shallowness on the bench have had something to do with it too. The Kidd/Carter/Jefferson/Krstic core will only get better overall. I think if the Nets can land a decently talented big man this off-season and the bench will take care of itself (Wright and Z will get better, McInnis will be healthy, Collins probably moved to bench) then the Nets will have a legit shot at 60 wins. I believe the Nets will prove themselves to belong in the same breath as the upper echelon teams in the NBA like Detroit, San An, Dallas, Miami, and Phoenix.

What do you guys think? 60 in '07? :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
the same thing we try to do every year pinky, take home the championship.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
PHeNoM Z28 said:
I think if the Nets can manage to finish this season strong and end up with 50 wins then get to at least the 2nd round in the playoffs this season, 60 wins should be our goal for the Nets next season.

This season the Nets have been inconsistent because of the team trying to find itself, wierd and changing rotations, understanding the offense, Carter and RJ trying to figure out how to play together, and a lot of experimenting. Lack of size up front and shallowness on the bench have had something to do with it too. The Kidd/Carter/Jefferson/Krstic core will only get better overall. I think if the Nets can land a decently talented big man this off-season and the bench will take care of itself (Wright and Z will get better, McInnis will be healthy, Collins probably moved to bench) then the Nets will have a legit shot at 60 wins. I believe the Nets will prove themselves to belong in the same breath as the upper echelon teams in the NBA like Detroit, San An, Dallas, Miami, and Phoenix.

What do you guys think? 60 in '07? :D
Defend the 2005-06 championship, of course.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was trying to be a little more realistic of course :D

I mean a championship would be great next season but the Nets still may have some issues and to win a championship you damn near have to have a perfect team.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
Goal is to win it all, now that the Big 4 have had a full season to ride the ups and downs of a full season. Offseason, players stay out of the player personnel issues, allow Thorn and Stefanski to do their magic and get a solid rebounding/defender in the paint. It doesn't have to be an earth shattering stud, but a guy that can take 25-30 minutes a night at the 4 and grab 7-9 rebounds. It can be a combo of 2 guys, depth is also a question too, adding 1 or maybe 2 paint guys can address that immediately. Cliffy becomes the 4th-5th guy in the rotation something that will preserve him. Our wings are set with Wright and Zoran battling for minutes. I think getting 2 quality paint guys and a backup point is the goal going into the offseason. 60 wins with the time the starters spent this whole season together, should be a given, the ring is the thing.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Z goal is to keep da mosquitoes out of D swamp.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Actually, to have a stellar draft focusing exclusively on big men unless a super PG falls.

To acquire someone like Wilcox (curse SEA) or better in the offseason via free-agency.

To trade for another VC type player at the 4. Hear that Ben Wallace? Lessee, do we have enough beads?

To develop enough talent and depth so the NETS'd go all the way, if they don't get lucky this post-season.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
The future is hazy.

There are a lot of unpleasant financial and logistical factors weighing on the organization.

That's why I was so adamant about trying to win this year while the conference is so weak.

Every year that passes, Kidd gets older and the unstable situation in Brooklyn makes winning less of a reality.

At the very most, the Nets have two seasons beyond this one to win a title. After that it's likely going to be a huge challenge to keep the team at a level where they are legitimate title contenders.

Thorn cannot mess up this coming offseason like he did the last one. He just can't. He has one last shot to add the right players and make the team the one to beat.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
DemonaL said:
Is Kidd on a contract of a free agent after this? He might try to sign with someone else like last year.
He has a maxed out long term deal.

The only way he is going anywhere is if the Nets trade him. (And that wouldn't be easy.)

If you are interested in player contracts, pull down the menu labeled "NBA Links" (next to the forum tools) and click on "Storyteller's Salary Site". It is very accurate and informative.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.