Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nobody
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following this, I think it's very interesting from Cleveland's standpoint. What's the latest talk about this? I heard Portland has offered Rasheed for Ilgauskas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,537 Posts
Last I heard on this was that both sides like the basic idea of a Sheed for Z swap. The problem is That Sheed makes significantly more than Z and as such extra guy(s) would have to come over from Cleveland's side. Maybe I'm remembering this horribly (or making it up as I go along, not sure) but seems Cleveland would like Miles to be that guy and we'd rather it be Wagner. But I haven't heard anything nearly so specific for a long time so the deal is probably dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
I thought it was going to be Sheed for Z and someone named LeBron James as filler :D

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Portland receives: C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
PG LeBron James (19.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +17.4 ppg, +6.7 rpg, and +4.9 apg.

Cleveland trades: C Zydrunas Illgauskas (14.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
PG LeBron James (19.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Cleveland receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 33 games)
Change in team outlook: -17.4 ppg, -6.7 rpg, and -4.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

We can throw in a draft pick and some cash if necessary...


THOUGHTS? :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
I'd love to have Ilgauskas! He's been injury free for the last year and a half. Maybe he can play till he's almost 40 like Sabonis. Heck, maybe we could hire Sabonis to be his personal tutor! That would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yega1979</b>!
I'd love to have Ilgauskas! He's been injury free for the last year and a half. Maybe he can play till he's almost 40 like Sabonis. Heck, maybe we could hire Sabonis to be his personal tutor! That would be awesome.
Ugh. Ilgauskas? Sheesh, what kind of positive difference could he make with this team? Yeah he can score and he's tall, but he's a wimp and slow and quite dour looking too. I have a hard enough time dealing with Vlad wearing #11, but Ilgauskas would put me over the edge.

No thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Sabonis was very good his years in Portland despite being very slow..it's sort of an advantage of being 7-4 300 pounds. You just have to have great court awareness. Ziggy already has a good scoring touch; perhaps Sabonis could come in and really mentor him into being a great player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yega1979</b>!
Sabonis was very good his years in Portland despite being very slow..it's sort of an advantage of being 7-4 300 pounds. You just have to have great court awareness. Ziggy already has a good scoring touch; perhaps Sabonis could come in and really mentor him into being a great player.
Z has a good shooting touch, but he doesn't have any toughness, nor does he have even a fraction of the passing skills/court awareness that is the genius of Sabonis, and I really don't see Sabas coming back just to mentor and bond with a fellow Lith center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
Z has a good shooting touch, but he doesn't have any toughness

Z has much more toughness down low than Sheed. Sheed is a horrible rebounder per minute, and never ever crashes the boards.



I absolutley love this trade. Big good centers are VERY rare in the NBA.

Here are the reasons i LOVE this trade...

1) We could get more than Z from Cleveland. They could send us Wagner or Miles or Diop or any of their other good young players.

2) Big Z has a contact that ends in 2005, thats after next year just like Damon and Dale, so we do not have to take on a big contract, unlike other players that are being offered such as KVH, Jamison and K-Mart.

3) Big men are hard to find. Z is a underrated defender, though he is no defensive stopper. He is a great post player and would force double teams in the post opening up room for Zach.

4) Z is a year younger than Sheed. He is also still improving and seems to me a late bloomer due to injuries.

5) The possibility of having one of our boradcasters saying "Q passes to Zbo down to Big Z in the post"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!


I absolutley love this trade. Big good centers are VERY rare in the NBA.

Here are the reasons i LOVE this trade...

1) We could get more than Z from Cleveland. They could send us Wagner or Miles or Diop or any of their other good young players.

2) Big Z has a contact that ends in 2005, thats after next year just like Damon and Dale, so we do not have to take on a big contract, unlike other players that are being offered such as KVH, Jamison and K-Mart.

3) Big men are hard to find. Z is a underrated defender, though he is no defensive stopper. He is a great post player and would force double teams in the post opening up room for Zach.

4) Z is a year younger than Sheed. He is also still improving and seems to me a late bloomer due to injuries.

5) The possibility of having one of our boradcasters saying "Q passes to Zbo down to Big Z in the post"
Like you said, we would have to get more from Cleveland just to make the salaries work, and that could be a good thing (Wagner, Diop, or even Miles...my preference would probably be in that order).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
I would be estatic if we could get I would be estatic if we could obtain Wagner from Cleveland, but i would still make a Wallace for Z/Diop/Miles trade and love it.

I already said why i liked Z

Diop is maby 20 or 21 and is already a great defender. He is a nice rebounder and amazind shot blocker.

Miles will never be a starter, but he could make a nice bench player to energize both the team and the crowd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
Z + Wagner? Sure. Wagner might be a shooting guard in a point guard's body, but he's still only 20 (21 in like 4 weeks) and he's potentially very, very good.

Z + Miles? No, thanks. Miles is still only 22, but we've got Outlaw, who's a younger Miles (athletic, limited skill set). I think that I'll pass on the original Miles.

Z + Diop? I don't know, but it's not going to happen because Cleveland seems pretty high on Diop and I can't believe that the Blazers would be.

Overall, I don't see Cleveland trading Wagner with Z for Rasheed, and I don't think that Z + worthless filler (like Newble) is enough for Wallace.

Ed O.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top