Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
sherwin said:
Juwan Howard out for season because of a heart infection. What the hell?
I knew it 3 days ago.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
its certainly been strange... eddy curry and stro both come down with irregular heartbeats and now howard all within a couple weeks? wierd

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
could it have something to do with basketball?? I know its probably far fetched, but maybe

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, basketball players have always played basketball, so that wouldn't really explain a sudden change very well. Maybe they all got into cocaine together.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Probably Vioxx.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
all three are isolated cases. the thing i find strange, is this season has more ankle related injuries than any i can remember. al jefferson, carmelo, tim duncan...list goes on.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Well, injuires in general seem to be at a high this season long. I know injuries happen every single year, but this year the serious injuries seem to be inflated.

·
Registered
690 Posts
-James- said:
its certainly been strange... eddy curry and stro both come down with irregular heartbeats and now howard all within a couple weeks? wierd

Sports are harder than they were before...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Curry got it from shock that the Bulls don't suck anymore.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
just an innocent question, but do steroids result in heart problems?

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Howards' condition has nothing to do Curry's most likely.

Irregular heartbeats are rather common if you look at the population as whole

Howard got a viral infection. That most likely means he has something called viral pericarditis (inflammation of the lining of the heart) or worse viral cardiomyopathy (where the heart enlarges). Really completely different from Curry's condition which is a problem of electrical wiring/pacemaker of the heart.

Steroids can rarely cause enlargement of the heart leading heart failure but I don't believe do anything with irregular heart beats. Other drugs definitely can so if they're using a new designer drug who know. Seriously doubt though that any of these heart issues are due to any steroid use.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Ballscientist said:
I knew it 3 days ago.
we have a modern day nastradamus

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
viral cardiomyopathy (where the heart enlarges).

My friend has this I think, he isnt allowed to drink more than 1.5 litres of liquid per 24 hours. He also had to taker down 30kgs off his body weight since he was a overweight.

NBA players in the other hand are very fit, however someone told me drinking too much caffeine or liquid is actually a factor on getting this condition.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Alcohol, not caffeine, is a risk factor for developing a cardiomyopathy. Of course there are lot of other causes: infectious, vascular, blah blah. but caffeine definitely isn't one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts