Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking for one specific thing, more of a list. I'll post my opinions later today (just wanted to get this in before school so I wouldn't forget). Just curious as to what others think are the biggest problems right now (because there are obviously some that need addressing).

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Kuskid said:
I'm not looking for one specific thing, more of a list. I'll post my opinions later today (just wanted to get this in before school so I wouldn't forget). Just curious as to what others think are the biggest problems right now (because there are obviously some that need addressing).
A few problems come to mind....

1.)Finishing games. Nobody on the Nuggets seemed to be able to hit a big shot last night.

2.)Letting up on energy. And some games not coming out ready to run as George Karl likes to say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The biggest problem I see is that again, we have no outside shooting. If we could make 3's, it would force the defending team play honestly and quit their doubling down on the low post.

We starting winning last year when Person, Boykins and co. were nailing their threes. If we can't stretch the D, this season is over already.

I'm not screaming panic, but dang, I hit 3's consistently from NBA range (not with Garnett in my face, though), but these guys should be shooting better. If not, resign Wes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Kuskid said:
How about that we're missing two of our top three big men. On just about every team in the league, that equals losing.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Horax said:
The biggest problem I see is that again, we have no outside shooting. If we could make 3's, it would force the defending team play honestly and quit their doubling down on the low post.

We starting winning last year when Person, Boykins and co. were nailing their threes. If we can't stretch the D, this season is over already.

I'm not screaming panic, but dang, I hit 3's consistently from NBA range (not with Garnett in my face, though), but these guys should be shooting better. If not, resign Wes.
Heck of a point here. The outside shooting is killing this .500 team. If there are no improvements made either through "practice" We talkin' bout practice? Haha. Or a trade the Nuggets will float at .500 again this season.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
It doesn't help when you start having injuries affecting your strength (post play) and top of the outside shooting.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
scooter said:
How about that we're missing two of our top three big men. On just about every team in the league, that equals losing.
I'll buy the fact that KMart being out is a problem for sure. His energy brings a lot, but again he's not a shooter. His game is also an inside one that jams up the inside.

Nene is not missed. What did he bring to the team? Great shooting? No. Great rebounding? No. Passing? No. I don't see what this kid brought to the table? He does hustle on the break and run the floor well, but again he's a liability in the half court along with countless others. In my opinion Fransico Elson is a better player than Nene. Now Elson is 30 and Nene is like 24?? so the potential for Nene to get dramatically better is there, but we can't see it this season obviously and who knows if he'll be here next season or not. I'd say not with his money concerns. So get used to not having the 3 big man rotation that never really materialized anyway, with Nene's injuries.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My views on the Nuggets team

1.) Too much standing around -
the team waits and waits in the half court set and has done so for 2 full seasons and 8 games into this season. Like Scott Hastings said last night during the Nuggets telecast on Altitude TV: Earl Boykins dribbling the ball for 19 or 20 seconds in the half court set is really bogging the team down.
There has to be movement without the ball. I'll say at times the Nuggets move well, but they do too much standing and waiting.

2.) Rebounding -
I believe Marcus Camby is leading the team and the league in rebounds. What's going to happen when he gets hurt? The Nuggets will lose games in bunches. Melo has been much improved on the boards, but his teammates need to join in. Miller is usually a better rebounder and a better player, he needs to step up and find his stroke.

3.) Shooting -
This team is built to dunk and drive the lanes. When the team is settling for jumpers they lose. The Nuggets don't have one strong jump shooter on the team. This allows defenses to heavily guard the lane and get the Nuggets away from their game. The team cannot depend on Marcus Camby to nail 18 footers all season from the top of the key and the baselines. Melo's jumper does not look any better than it did from day one. He is improved over last season, but not at the rate he could be. He still has lots of work to do. When Kevin Garnett entered the league he could hardly hit the broad side of the barn and now he's amazing from anywhere on the court. Melo needs to develop a deadly jumper.

4.) Allowing refs to enter the game -
The Nuggets are a very emotional team. Against Dallas in the third quarter the Nuggets were up 16-19 points and laughing and smiling. Then when Dallas got the "MO" back Denver began to get upset with what they perceived to be bad calls and let their emotions drive them to get mad and play mad. The Nuggets play good when they are happy and BAD when they get upset. It's a hard thing to gage, but just watch the emotions come into play tonight against the Hornets.

Those are my biggest worries on about the Nuggets. I would really like to see Karl turn some PT over to Klieza, Watson and Hodge. Watson may not be able to handle the offense any better than Miller or Old Earl B., but why not give him some opportunities? Having him sit there really irks me into maybe falsy believing he could make some kind of difference. I now want Karl to prove me wrong. Put Watson in and show me why he should be relagated to the bench. The team is 3-5, time for a change.

Klieza may be unproven, but he's a big body that might be able to take some pressure off Najera and Elson. The NBA does have something called the Rookie of the Year right? Well how can we cross Klieza off the list as a contender if he never gets a chance?

Same goes for Hodge. I saw the kid almost single handedly win games for NC State last season during the year and in the torunament. He's a proven winner and stayed all 4 years in school. If he doesn't have what it takes to play then why the **** draft him in the first place?

We'll never know if these guys could ball unless they get on the floor. Handicapping yourself (Karl & Co.) does not help. Maybe these guys are not ready, but again at 3-5 what do the Nuggets have to lose besides more games?

Signed,
--Frustrated Nuggets fan--

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
kamego said:
It doesn't help when you start having injuries affecting your strength (post play) and top of the outside shooting.
Nuggest have never been strong in the post. But yeah the outside shooting is a major concern.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
I'll add my two personal favorites to the list: Floor Spacing and Perimeter Defense. In theory, both would be helped by playing Watson.

With Kenyon hurting, I would like to see the Nuggets run more 4 small, 1 big lineups to get DJ, Hodge & Watson some PT.

I also agree with getting Kliza some minutes to not wear out Eddie Energy so early in the season. I know Karl doesn't like playing rookies, but :curse: play the guys already.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
cpawfan said:
I'll add my two personal favorites to the list: Floor Spacing and Perimeter Defense. In theory, both would be helped by playing Watson.

With Kenyon hurting, I would like to see the Nuggets run more 4 small, 1 big lineups to get DJ, Hodge & Watson some PT.

I also agree with getting Kliza some minutes to not wear out Eddie Energy so early in the season. I know Karl doesn't like playing rookies, but :curse: play the guys already

Heck yes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts