Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be interesting to put together an uber starting lineup consisting of the best players from your teams.

Here's my Vermont team:

PG: T.J. Sorrentine - Great numbers and was on a winner.

SG: Eddie Benton - All-time leading scorer in school's history

SF: Tony Ociari - Was a personal favorite, great shooter

PF: Taylor Coppenrath - Don't need to say much about him

C: Kevin Roberson - School's leader in Blocks and Rebounds, some consider him the best player in school's history.

I'm going with a small lineup here because I can't really think of many good small forwards in Vermont's history. I think I may be too young to put together a good all-time starting 5 because I haven't seen any UVM basketball pre-Eddie Benton. Still...I think this is a solid line-up. I thought about putting Gaines in at the small forward but he was more of a power forward.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
We've actually been debating this on the Diehard Dogs site for a while, and here goes for NU

PG - JJB (by a nose over Andre LaFleur)
2G - Perry Moss
3G - Pete Harris (slightly edging out Wes Fuller)
F - Reggie Lewis
F - Mark Halsel or Dan Callahan (the loser would bump Pete Harris if NU wanted to play big)

Coach: Jim Calhoun

Yes, most of these guys you've never heard of, but any old time BU/Maine/UNH/UVM fans would probably remember them.

·
Premium Member
33,350 Posts
icemchine9 said:
Thought it would be interesting to put together an uber starting lineup consisting of the best players from your teams.

Here's my Vermont team:

PG: T.J. Sorrentine - Great numbers and was on a winner.

SG: Eddie Benton - All-time leading scorer in school's history

SF: Tony Ociari - Was a personal favorite, great shooter

PF: Taylor Coppenrath - Don't need to say much about him

C: Kevin Roberson - School's leader in Blocks and Rebounds, some consider him the best player in school's history.

I'm going with a small lineup here because I can't really think of many good small forwards in Vermont's history. I think I may be too young to put together a good all-time starting 5 because I haven't seen any UVM basketball pre-Eddie Benton. Still...I think this is a solid line-up. I thought about putting Gaines in at the small forward but he was more of a power forward.

Those would have to be mine as well, with Erik Nelson and Kenny White getting high honorable mention.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have to think a lot for BU... off the top of my head, Tunji is automatic, probably Joey Beard? and in my mind definetly Billy Collins... gotta figure out the guards...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
For UVM, I'd give Matt Johnson some honorable mention recognition - he could shoot, and was the heart and soul of some of those Kenny White/Roberson teams. He single handedly knocked NU out of the 1990 NAC's.

For BU, you've got to have Dredrick Irving on any All-BU team - and they did have some good teams in the 1950s, but I don't know if any of us ever saw that team play or could name a single player. Tony Dacosta and Jeff Timberlake would likely merit strong consideration.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trevor Gaines for UVM would be on the honorable mention team. Guy averaged a double double his senior year and was awesome in the post... and as for UVM small forwards, I can only even remember one actual small forward off the top of my head and that was Grant Anderson. Not all-time team worthy, but a very solid player...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I actually thought about this a couple weeks ago, with ESPN Page 2 doing that "All-Time Tournament" feature, with the best all-time Top 5's from the best schools. Glad someone started this thread...

For Vermont, 4/5 of the line-up is a slam dunk: Sorrentine, Benton, Coppenrath, Roberson. You have 3 2000-point scorers, one 1500-point, 1000-rebound, 400-block performer...2 retired jerseys, with probably 2 more on the way. It may not be kind to history, but there's no doubt the top 4 players in UVM history have all occured in the last 15 years.

But who gets to play the 5th Wheel? Who is the player who either adds some depth to an amazing front-court tandem, or completes a deadly back-court trio? I'm not even sure I know, as my pre-Kevin Roberson history of UVM is sketchy at best. But going through the UVM record books, here are some candidates (most of these guys, don't have much info except their stats)...in no particular order...

*Tony Orciari (97-01): I think Tony O gets a bum rap sometimes, historically, because (like every player prior to Coppenrath and Sorrentine) he could never really win a big game...in fact, did his teams ever win an AE Tourney game (play-in game vs. UNH, maybe)? There was a lot of pressure on him, being from VT and being such an amazing HS player (I'm not old enough to have seen Keith Cieplicki in HS, but Tony O is the best VT HS player I've ever seen). But the guy scored 1700+ points and was a record-setting 3-point shooter.

*Kenny White (88-92): Arguably the toughest player in UVM history...but, unbeliebably, maybe only the 3rd-best player to play PG at UVM. Averaged close to 5 assists/game over a 4-year career...started all 114 games. Also one of the school's leaders in steals...remarkably, didn't score 1000 points, a milestone many good players take for granted.

*Benny Becton (60-63): Now, I don't know much about this guy, but...1146 points, 986 boards: in 66 games. Yup, averaged 17.3 ppg and 14.9 rpg over his 3-year career...that 14.9 rpg mark will probably stand for quite a while. By comparison, Roberson, a great rebounder: 9.4 rpg. 1st player in UVM history to record 1000-points and 500-rebounds. One of only 2 players in UVM history to average a double-double for his career (Milt Goggins, 63-66). Again, in 66 games.

*Clyde Lord (56-59): 19.5 ppg was the highest career PPG mark in UVM history until Eddie Benton came along.

*Mike Evelti (78-82): 1697 career points, was the scoring mark to beat until Benton came along and set fire to it. 735 rebounds to go along with it. Shot over 50% for a career.

Anyway, food for thought...and some historical perspective.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
GCG, I'm like you, listed four Wildcats immediately! But I've got to go get a media guide to help me pick #5. And if I have to pick by position, then I'll need to do even more research because three of my four are guards!

I'll be back in a while..........

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
GCG -

No Matt Johnson or Joe Calavita (I hope I didn't butcher his name too badly)??

If I need a 3 late in the game, I'm going to Johnson every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Calavita was a pretty good player on some god awful UVM teams.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
UNH Alum predates me, but some UNH guys who come to mind...

Matt Alosa
Dirk Koopman
Derek Counts
Al McClain
Scotty Drapeau

And that only goes back to the NAC days....

·
Registered
573 Posts
In the 20 year Hartford D1 era-

Ron Moye
Justin Bailey
Lamont Middleton
Mike Bond
Vin Baker

And maybe Ryan Howse off the bench. Adeleke will probably bump Bond off my list by the end of the year, but that's up for debate since Adeleke will have only played one season.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
South End said:
In the 20 year Hartford D1 era-

Ron Moye
Justin Bailey
Lamont Middleton
Mike Bond
Vin Baker

And maybe Ryan Howse off the bench. Adeleke will probably bump Bond off my list by the end of the year, but that's up for debate since Adeleke will have only played one season.
A sentimental favorite of mine is Jarell Parker... if he could have been healthy for two years there he might have made the list... probably not, but who knows...

·
Registered
573 Posts
A sentimental favorite of mine too ginzo. Its too bad Jerryl caught a bad break and never saw his potential realized in Hartford.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
No, Ganly doesn't get much love from me. Sorry, Ginzo.

SE - No Larry Griffiths? For pure comedic relief, I'd have him on my All Hartford roster. But, he was a pretty good big man.

·
Registered
573 Posts
A very good big man... and tough to leave off the list. I still would have to go with Mike Bond who even at 6'4" was a very serious threat for a double double game in and game out.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Mike Bond was the best undersized player I have seen in the AE. Period.

I've known Larry Griffiths since we were little kids playing travel team ball as 9 year olds, and he's got one of the most sarcastic senses of humor around. The fact that he was a good basketball player was a bonus for all around him. He was like JJB in that if he was on your team you loved him because he was a bit chippy and had a bit of on court swagger. If he was on the other team, he was a bit of a punk and a pr-ick, but you had to respect his ability. He was Vinny's enforcer his first couple of seasons at Hartford.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
South End said:
A sentimental favorite of mine too ginzo. Its too bad Jerryl caught a bad break and never saw his potential realized in Hartford.
Jerryl, in my mind could have averaged in the high teens in points per game, definetly, if he was healthy. Very good shot, great penetrator, and maybe the strongest guard the AE has seen in a while... too bad...

NU Hoop Fan, why no love for Ganly? I wasn't saying he would be in the top five, but I would think he would merit some consideration, he was a very good player...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts