Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never was a huge fan of UNLV but they did add something to the landscape of college basketball..... They were the Miami Hurricanes of Basketball. Will they ever return?? What is there problem right now??

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Cycloneandy</b>!
I never was a huge fan of UNLV but they did add something to the landscape of college basketball..... They were the Miami Hurricanes of Basketball. Will they ever return?? What is there problem right now??
That core of '90 and '91 was a very special team, and I think the credit goes to Tark, Grgrich, and his staff for putting together an athletic group that had a killer instinct. Tark believed in tough, athletic players moreso than heady, fundamentally sound players. Cincy reminds me of the old school UNLV programs, because of their toughness, but they don't put up 100 every game like the Rebs used to.

However, in this age and the way kids are leaving to the NBA, it is unlikely that we will ever see a team dominate college hoops like UNLV did in the early 90's.

Many people remember the '90 and '91 Rebs for their huge point totals, but they were also a killer defensive team. The key word for the old school Rebs was action. They were going at 150% on both ends all game. They forced huge amounts of turnovers on D, and then sprinted back to get the quick 2.

I just watched the NCAA video from 1990 when they won the whole thing, and for even 13 years ago, they played at a faster pace than any college team I have maybe ever seen. They were so fast on both ends, it was really awesome to watch. I don't know if we'll ever see that kind of sustained dominance in college hoops ever again.

Just think if the '90 chamionship Rebs had Shawn Kemp in the lineup! (he was academically inelligible in Juco and went pro)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts