Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerry West, I bend to kiss your toes. The sweet salt of a basketball mastermind is too much for my hoopjunkie emotions. I cry like an infant. For I have seent the light, and yes my friends it is DAMN beautiful.

I'm givin Jerry 5 years to make us and unreal team. Potent talent at every position. Do your magic baby, do your magic. Am I obsessed? Probably, but so is every other Grizz maniac who is thinking that the dark ages are over. I cry tears everynight wishing that my Grizz were still in Van City, but spilt milk will eventually taste bad.

Imagine teams running scared of our crushing uptempo game. Basketball fundamental's, and smarts overpouring. I know, I know, it may still be rough around the edges, but Jerry found the diamond and he's a wicked polisher.

This is for all Grizz enthusiasts who crave more and more. Spill your beans, so the rest of us can eat em up. If you have anything to say about the Grizzles, do it. Trade rumours(in reason), news, hopes, needs, current, fantasy, outrage, frustration.

I want a franchise player in 2 years. That's an order.

I've got a first class ticket into the Grizzlies glory days, and I ain't sellin.

Grizz Piez 4 Life

Yo Yo Ma to all the Muffin Bakers and Pillow Biters.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
If anybody can turn the grizz into a contender, it is Mr. West! I like to see a devoted fan and your post shows me that you are! :)

Who knows if there is a Great center out there that'll come to the Grizz, just like Jerry West brought Shaq from the east to the west.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jerry West is the most overrated guy in pro sports. Ok, you were a somewhat great player and yuou're the NBA logo, whoopdy doo, you're still not the best GM. Don't give me that "Look what he did for LA" crap, anyone of those players would have went to the big, birght lights, of L.A. wether old man West was there or not, also his ability to scout talent and find the "diamond in the rough" is overrated too. Get it straight people, Devean George is a below average NBA player, he will never be more than the 8th man of the bench. Then who all has West gotten that makes you people say hes such a great GM? Noone, thats who. Drew Gooden will be a bust, shouyld have went with Butler, but oh well. You all will see how overrated Jerry West is when the Grizzlies win 58 games - combined over the next 5 years. Thank you, that is all.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
<i>"You all will see how overrated Jerry West is when the Grizzlies win 58 games - combined over the next 5 years. Thank you, that is all."</i>

58 games total won over 5 years?

You're saying that the grizz will win only 11.6 games per year for 5 straight years?

I hope you're around during these next 5 years. :D

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Lets see SWINDLED the Jazz out of JAMES WORTHY
Lets See SWINDLED the Bucks out of JABBAR
Lets see SWINDLED the Hornets out of a 17 year old sg , gave them a starting center for a player that could be the next Jordan,
For got who they SWINDLED TO GET MAGIC.
Found an ALLSTAR in EDDIE JONES
SWINDLED GSW OUT OF JAMAL WILKES.
FOUND A GEM IN COOPER ,BYRON SCOTT, AC GREEN
FOUND A GEM IN FLOPPY DIVAC

What else has he done Laker fans I might have missed some.

and you call JERRY WEST OVERRATED man please can't even argue your statement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all, Kobe's ugly *** thought he was too good to play in lil' ol Charlotte and demanded a trade. Second of all, Eddie Jones may be decent but if you recall he traded him away for an old washed up loser by the name of Glen Rice. 3rd of all Scott, Green, and Divac are all AVERAGE PLAYERS. They are not gems, Antonio Davis in the 2nd round was a gem, understand this little man.

---Any Chance you could refrain from referring to your fellow posters as "little man" (smile) Pot---

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mr. Vin Diesel</b>!
First of all, Kobe's ugly *** thought he was too good to play in lil' ol Charlotte and demanded a trade. Second of all, Eddie Jones may be decent but if you recall he traded him away for an old washed up loser by the name of Glen Rice. 3rd of all Scott, Green, and Divac are all AVERAGE PLAYERS. They are not gems, Antonio Davis in the 2nd round was a gem, understand this little man.
In your opinion, they are not gems, but obviously to others they are gems. Personal opinion is JUST that - personal opinion, young man.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wow!

It's hard to believe that ANYBODY would sit here and deny the greatness of Jerry West! I mean, SERIOUSLY, dude! JERRY WEST! Here's something I typed up a while back--I got tired of hearing everybody bash West over the Drew Gooden pick. Take a look:

"Okay, people, Jerry West is the best evaluator of talent in NBA history, it's completely ridiculous for you people to do anything other than give him the benefit of the doubt here. Nobody drafts better--here's the past 11 drafts (1991-2001), take a look:

2001 He got rid of his pick, because nobody worthwhile was available. This is always a smart idea, because first round picks get guaranteed contracts. No reason to draft somebody who is going to sit at the end of yr bench.

2000 Mark Madsen at #28. Yeah, he probably should've unloaded this pick on somebody. He probably tried and couldn't find a taker.

1999 Devean George at #23. You people who are throwing a fit about Robert Archibald at #31--do you think anybody had any idea about Devean George back in June 1999? Guys who were taken ahead of George include: Trajan Langdon (#11), somebody named Alek Radojevic (#12), William Avery (#14), the immortal Frederic Weis (#15), Cal Bowdler (#17), Quincy Lewis (#19).

1998 Sam Jacobsen at #26. He missed on this one--Ruben Patterson was taken at #31, Rashard Lewis at #32, Cuttino Mobley at #41.

1997 He got rid of his pick this year, too.

1996 Kobe Bryant at #13, Derek Fisher at #24. I get tired of reading this crap about how Kobe Bryant's agent told every team in the league that Kobe wouldn't play for anybody other than the Lakers, this is such bunk. If any of these teams had ANY IDEA how good Kobe was going to be, I'm sorry, they obviously would've drafted him, regardless of what his agent was or was not saying. The fact is that Jerry West was the only person who knew how good Kobe was going to be. Maybe Kobe put on lousy workouts for every other team, beats me, but I doubt it. And take a look at some of the guys who were taken before Fisher: Walter McCarty (#18), John Wallace (#19), Dontae Jones (#21), Roy Rogers (#22), somebody named Efthimis Rentzias (#23).

1995 Traded the pick.

1994 Eddie Jones at #10. Taken after Donyell Marshall (#4), Juwan Howard (#5), Sharone Wright (#6), Lamond Murray (#7), Brian Grant (#8), Eric Montross (#9). Please, do not tell me that Juwan Howard has been a better pro than Eddie Jones, PLEASE.

1993 George Lynch at #12. Not a great player, obviously, but this was a remarkably lousy draft. The only guys taken AFTER Lynch who were better are Sam Cassell (#24) and Nick Van Exel (#37). Of course, guess who drafted Van Exel? That's right, JERRY WEST.

1992 Anthony Peeler at #15. Also not a very good draft, but he did pass on Doug Christie (#17), Latrell Sprewell (#24), and PJ Brown (#29). I remember thinking that Peeler was going to be a good pro, not sure what happened; decent but not good.

1991 No pick.

SO! The thing is, do you think Lakers fans were jumping for joy when he drafted Nick Van Exel? How about when he drafted somebody out of Arkansas-Little Rock named Derek Fisher? How about when he traded a legit center (Divac) for some little punk HS kid? How about when he took some NAIA player named Devean George?

I think you fellers need to shut the hell up and give Jerry West, WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOWS A LOT MORE ABOUT BASKETBALL THAN ANY OF US, a damn break! He knows what he's doing! The Grizzlies are a lot better now! And he's not finished, either! JERRY WEST WILL GET IT DONE IN MEMPHIS! Maybe a lot sooner than you think!

And what the hell is wrong with Drew Gooden? Have you guys watched this guy play? He's a hell of a matchup for other teams' small forwards, he's a winner, great attitude, terrific rebounder, great athlete. Maybe some of these other guys have more "upside"--or maybe Drew Gooden just keeps getting better? Or maybe West didn't buy into the "upside" of these other guys (Tskitishvili, Hilario, Wagner, Wilcox, Stoudemire)?

If West thinks Drew Gooden was the best player on the board at #4, that's good enough for me, and it should be good enough for all of you! So there!"

I can go on and on and on, Vin. But how about this: you tell me who is a better NBA GM, and you back it up. Look at the guy's track record, give us some facts. I CANNOT IMAGINE who you could POSSIBLY come up with, but give it a shot. If you CAN'T come up with a better NBA GM, and if you CAN'T back your argument up, well, that means that you've acknowledged that West IS the best! So get to work, Mr. Diesel! [By the way, I sort of want to see that "XXX" movie, how is it?]

·
Registered
924 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
1992 Anthony Peeler at #15. Also not a very good draft, but he did pass on Doug Christie (#17), Latrell Sprewell (#24), and PJ Brown (#29).
West may have passed on Christie in the draft but Seattle could'nt agree on a contract with Doug so they traded him to the Lakers where he played for 2 seasons.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
Lets see SWINDLED the Jazz out of JAMES WORTHY
Lets See SWINDLED the Bucks out of JABBAR
Lets see SWINDLED the Hornets out of a 17 year old sg , gave them a starting center for a player that could be the next Jordan,
For got who they SWINDLED TO GET MAGIC.
Found an ALLSTAR in EDDIE JONES
SWINDLED GSW OUT OF JAMAL WILKES.
FOUND A GEM IN COOPER ,BYRON SCOTT, AC GREEN
FOUND A GEM IN FLOPPY DIVAC

What else has he done Laker fans I might have missed some.

and you call JERRY WEST OVERRATED man please can't even argue your statement.

You can add Nick Van Excel to that list...
A hidden Gem found in the 2nd to 3rd Rd of the NBA Draft
The Grizz will be successful in time, and Mr.West just loves that challenge of building

1 - 10 of 10 Posts