Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was actually strangely optimistic Gar would take over for a while. I thought some players would excel away Brown for a while. I also thought the team hasn't been very responsive to Brown all season. And that Brown hasn't picked up on some of our perpetual problems, or has been unable to. Well, Gar obviously has me begging for Brown back.

It also has me thinking about next season. I'm ok with Brown returning. I really don't know who could do a better job for us. People mention Flip Saunders, but I really don't know much about what he brings personally. ESPN even mentioned Phil Jackson last night, but I'm sure he doesn't want to come here anymore than most fans would welcome him. Who else?

I think Brown brought a lot of improvements to the team, but there are some areas where he neglects, and I don't think his leaving would take away what he's brought (unless Gar takes over permanently). I'd love to get Laimbeer as an assistant coach, another position that needs attention.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I read reports that LB and Rip are hoping to be back friday. I agree that I was optimistic about Gar takin the reigns for a few games, but alas I am also begging for LB to return. I think Flip would be a welcome addition and I would love to see Laimbeer get a shot at assistant so he could eventually get a head coaching gig. Laimbeer is one of those guys that you know he knows the game and I think he will make a fine head coach some day.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
My first choice would be to have Brown back, but if he doesn't return I have no idea where we turn. You can't justify handing the keys to a rookie coach, so Laimbeer is out. I guess you just go after the top guy, whoever that may be.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I wish Mike Woodson would've stayed for one more season and maybe he could get the job, but I can't blame him from moving on to a head coaching position.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
CJ said:
My first choice would be to have Brown back, but if he doesn't return I have no idea where we turn. You can't justify handing the keys to a rookie coach, so Laimbeer is out.
Why not? We did it with Carlisle and despite his fairly unsuccessful playoff resume he did a better job than most of the experienced coaches in that same year. I don't know much about Laimbeer or even how he coached with the Shock, but they won a championship so obviously he isn't a complete idiot.

I say give Laimbeer a chance, definitly before Phil Jackson and maybe even Flip Saunders. Our best strength in the years leading up to the championship was our identity of being tough, gritty, and hardworking and now even Ben Wallace rarely does it.

I would welcome Laimbeer and have confidence in him at least getting us back to a respectable contendor because all we've got going for us right now is that we're the reigning champs.

We need Brown back until the end of this year if we plan on having any immediate success, that's obvious. Here's to hoping he's back on friday.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Could you picture Laimbeer as head coach and Mahorn as assistant? Has there ever been a case of a coach coming onto the floor to protect a player?
I would like this alot more if Laimbeer had some assistant coaching experience. But as Ive said before he is smart in Basketball IQ. He will be a head coach soon and he will probably do well. He will defenitely not tollerate the half a$$ performances that have been all too farmiliar with this years squad, Im sure he would change things up pretty quick.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Lope31 said:
Why not? We did it with Carlisle and despite his fairly unsuccessful playoff resume he did a better job than most of the experienced coaches in that same year. I don't know much about Laimbeer or even how he coached with the Shock, but they won a championship so obviously he isn't a complete idiot.

I say give Laimbeer a chance, definitly before Phil Jackson and maybe even Flip Saunders. Our best strength in the years leading up to the championship was our identity of being tough, gritty, and hardworking and now even Ben Wallace rarely does it.

I would welcome Laimbeer and have confidence in him at least getting us back to a respectable contendor because all we've got going for us right now is that we're the reigning champs.

We need Brown back until the end of this year if we plan on having any immediate success, that's obvious. Here's to hoping he's back on friday.
Hiring a young coach in Carlisle to lead an up and coming team -- fine. Having a head coach with no prior NBA coaching experience take over a championship caliber team -- no.

You just don't have a rookie coach coaching a championship contender, it just doesn't work that way. I'd like to add that Carlisle is a special coach as well. He's a top coach in the league. He put in years as an assistant, so he has experience. Laimbeer as much as I like him hasn't even coached in the NBA yet. No team coming off a championship or in a position to win one would hire him to run their team. Guys like Carlisle, Mike Woodson, or Lawrence Frank have years of experience, so it's not such a big deal when they are hired as head coaches especially after coming from successful situations. You can say with confidence that these guys have been in pressure situations or on the sidelines during a plyoff series. Laimbeer played in some tough and great series and he led a WNBA team to the title, but he hasn't been in those situations as a coach in the NBA/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts