Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea after a few years.. the word potential changes into bust..
ALA Moiso and chris Mihm...
But when are people gonna say deshaun stevenson is a bust.. the kid started like 30 games last year and utah won like 20 of them.. then they benched him.. he seems to have a lot of potential even though he cant shoot.. but if he doesnt produce this year him and buddy bender are bust!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wasn't Stephenson drafted in 2000? I think it takes four years for most HS kids to break out. I think Bender will break out if they get rid of Artest. He can't break out if he is 3rd string.

I don't really know much about Stephenson. I know it takes longer for HS kids to produce than it does college kids. So if this year coming will be his third I would not yet call him a bust.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
4 years for high school
3 years if they went to college only partially
2 years if they stay at school for all 4 years

·
Registered
924 Posts
When a player gets quality minutes and doesn't produce.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Originally posted by IMX
When a player gets quality minutes and doesn't produce.
Well if it is a rookie or a HS player they need to get their feet wet with quality minutes before they produce. If you give them quality minutes for the first time and they only produce about 10 points a game then that is okay because they will come back next year and have more knowledge and more confidence. Also the minute have to be consistent. If you give him 30 min. and he gives you 12 points don't give him 4 min. the next game. Cough-Isiah-Cough

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Stephenson better produce soon! For a guy who's came out with some far off comparisons to Jordan, all he's known for is that situation with the little girl last year.

Hopefully he can straighten up, because he is a great athlete.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Stevenson was picked in the mid-20s. If he produces at all, he wasn't a bust, with what's come from that area lately...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think you can set a certain number of years before you call a player a bust. Some players spend their first five years or so in the league learning, and then they become great players toward the end of their careers. A bust can't be decided after a few years, but more or so after a career.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Exactly. For example... look at Michael Olowakandi. Now he's supposedly the second best center in the league, after years of being called the worst number one pick ever. Look at baseball; Randy Johnson is now looked at as one of the three best lefties ever. When he was drafted, he was a big prospect, but he didn't actually become a pitcher (rather than a hard thrower) until he was about 32. Now he's great. A player is a bust when the team gives up on him or when the player proves he doesn't have the ability he was supposed to posess when he was drafted.

·
Registered
920 Posts
He is not the second best center in the league:no:

It is all hype that was started by the media that got some crazy idea in their head that Olowokandi has the potential slow down Shaq. The man is 27.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know about Michael Olowokandi being the #2 cente rin the league, that's a bit of a stretch. Anways, it depends on how well a player plays compared to others in the same draft class. I mean, you could look at Kenyon Martin and say he was a bust for his average numbers so far in his career, but who else in that weak *** draft was better and should have been selected ahead of him? Now look at Olowokandi. He went #1 ahead of Carter, Pierce, Jamison, and Nowitzki, all much better players. That makes him somewhat of a bust (not a Pervis Ellison sized bust but around a Joe Smith sized bust).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts