Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you still think they will have it in them to bounce back like the Celtics or OKC did, or will it be a wrap? I was at ease going in to this series but man these OKC cats are looking scary.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Miami can still win but IMO they will not win 3 in a row on their home floor. Game 2 is more important for Miami than it is for OKC.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
It was a 3 point game with 6 minutes left in the 4th. It was a 5 point game with 2 minutes left. You act like we got blown out.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The Heat have been involved in two finals series (and last year's ECF) where the eventual winner lost game 1. They also blew a 2-0 lead against Boston just one series ago. Their opponents also came back from 2-0 against what was thought to be an unbeatable Spurs team. All I can say is things can turn around in a hurry and you know Spo, for all his faults on offense, will have his defense fixed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They also blew a 2-0 lead against Boston just one series ago.
Pretty sure Miami won that series.

The challenge of being down 2-0 isn't whether you can tie it at 2 (or even take a 3-2 lead), it's whether you can come back and win 4 of 5.

IF Miami goes down 2-0, they will have to either sweep all three of their home games or win both games 6 and 7 in OKC. I don't know how many times the road team has won both 6 and 7, but only twice out of 27 times has the home team won all of the middle three games.

So no, being down 2-0 isn't a death sentence, but it certainly makes things more difficult.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Heat can win only if

1. Double team Durant

2. Bosh and Haslem make long range jump shots to take Perkins out of the game

3. LeBron efficiency rate is minus 11, improve it!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Pretty sure Miami won that series.

The challenge of being down 2-0 isn't whether you can tie it at 2 (or even take a 3-2 lead), it's whether you can come back and win 4 of 5.

IF Miami goes down 2-0, they will have to either sweep all three of their home games or win both games 6 and 7 in OKC. I don't know how many times the road team has won both 6 and 7, but only twice out of 27 times has the home team won all of the middle three games.

So no, being down 2-0 isn't a death sentence, but it certainly makes things more difficult.
We just have different perspectives. Miami won but Boston came back and took a 3-2 lead in great position to win the series, that qualifies as blowing it to me. I try not to get hung up on results and focus more on opportunities. If Miami were to go down 2-0, win 2/3 at home (plausible) and head into OKC down 3-2 the perspective before game 6 and potential game 7 would be different. Before game 6 everyone would talk about how difficult it would be for Miami to win 2 in a row in OKC. If Miami wins game 6, everyone would forget that previous talking point and focus on game 7 only which at that point I'm pretty sure would be a complete toss-up. You have to look at these things one at a time, not in terms of streaks of wins and losses.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You have to look at these things one at a time, not in terms of streaks of wins and losses.
If the odds of winning game 6 is 50/50 and the odds of winning game 7 is 50/50, the odds of winning both games 6 and 7 is not 50/50.

All I said is that it would be harder to win the series down 2-0 instead of tied 1-1. That seems so obvious I don't even know how it can be debatable.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If the odds of winning game 6 is 50/50 and the odds of winning game 7 is 50/50, the odds of winning both games 6 and 7 is not 50/50.

All I said is that it would be harder to win the series down 2-0 instead of tied 1-1. That seems so obvious I don't even know how it can be debatable.
No, you're right. I'm getting too hung up in semantics.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Do you still think they will have it in them to bounce back like the Celtics or OKC did, or will it be a wrap? I was at ease going in to this series but man these OKC cats are looking scary.
Remember your "when the Celtics play the Thunder in the Finals" thread? What's with your threads? I don't get it, are you a Heat fan or what? You confuse me.

It was a 3 point game with 6 minutes left in the 4th. It was a 5 point game with 2 minutes left. You act like we got blown out.
Right? This game has been proof to me that the fanbase will freak out regardless how we lose. Can't ask for an easier loss to take. We weren't blown out, controlled most of the game, and didn't lose a game close enough to be lost by poor late game execution (see: clutchness). Remember how bad Chicago whooped our ass in G1 last year? Shit, how about how bad OKC looked against SAS the first two games. Not saying we'll definitely bounce back and win G2 and/or the series, but its hardly doomsday yet.

The Heat have been involved in two finals series (and last year's ECF) where the eventual winner lost game 1. They also blew a 2-0 lead against Boston just one series ago. Their opponents also came back from 2-0 against what was thought to be an unbeatable Spurs team. All I can say is things can turn around in a hurry and you know Spo, for all his faults on offense, will have his defense fixed.
Not to mention in '06 we were BLOWN OUT by New Jersey in G1 of the 2nd round...AT HOME.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
It aint over until OKC have 4 wins. We controlled them for a half, they took it back to us on their home floor and grabbed game 1.

It's a series guys, there will be swings in momentum and public opinion on who'se going to win. Last series we all thought Miami were screwed after game 5. LBJ comes in and has a historic game and we closed out at home in game 7.

Would I prefer to go back to Miami at 1-1? Absolutely. Is it over if OKC hold home court? Nope, we just have to do the same and finish them in 6 or 7.

·
Whiteside of the Moon
9,694 Posts
As Wade goes so goes the Heat. I said it before the series if he doesn't turn back into his normal self we're going to lose.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
What will be the next reverse jinx thread?

"No way the Heat win the next 3 home games"
"Shane Battier can't keep this up"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts