Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
He's got a little Charles Barkleyness about him. No one really talked about Charles being a freak athlete either. But he would sure throw it down on guys in his day. Melo has the same approach. Some of those dunks in the laker game were pretty sick.

He's definitely more athletic than Glenn Robinson. His agressivness is what I love the most. When he decides to score he's like a devil possessed by ten devils. I can't wait to see how he matures.

For him it's going to be rebounding. He can be one of the best rebounders in the league. He just needs to make the concerted effort. He should get a double double every single night.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Melo has an unathletic style that does make him look unathletic.

However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Melo has got hops and quickness that only one or two dozen players in the league have.

LeBron is probably top 5 in athleticism.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
LeBron is truly an athletic freak. If you made a list of all the guys in the league who have hops like LeBron (a short list, too), I bet none of them weigh 240 pounds and are built like that. And he's so fluid.

Everyone says Carmelo is smooth, and he seemed that way in college, but watching him in the NBA, I think he moves kind of herky-jerky and kind of hastily, awkwardly sometimes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and expect him to become more graceful as he learns what moves work for him in the NBA.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
Everyone says Carmelo is smooth, and he seemed that way in college, but watching him in the NBA, I think he moves kind of herky-jerky and kind of hastily, awkwardly sometimes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and expect him to become more graceful as he learns what moves work for him in the NBA.
He's got an NVE-type style I'd say, though obviously in a bigger body.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
He's got an NVE-type style I'd say, though obviously in a bigger body.
I kind of see what you mean... the way NVE moves, it kind of looks like different parts of his body are moving at different speeds and going in different directions ;) But it works for him because it's hard to guess which way he's going to go.

Carmelo kind of reminds me of Antoine Walker too, especially when he's handling the ball on a fast break.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
He reminds me of a Glenn Robinson who embraces, not fears the post. Not terribly athletic, but enough to make him above average.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
Ive been seeing him dunk on guys all season
The only time people said he was not athletic was when compared to LeBron James. For a small foward he does not have superior athleticism than the rest. He is still not quick enough to guard two guards like Marion can but he is still more athletic than Peja and Rahim are.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
He's an average athlete. Just because he's had a few nice dunks doesn't move him into the upper echelon of the league. Hell Chris Mihm jammed on Yao last night. Melo doesn't have great lateral quickness and he's got decent hops, at best.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!
He's an average athlete. Just because he's had a few nice dunks doesn't move him into the upper echelon of the league. Hell Chris Mihm jammed on Yao last night. Melo doesn't have great lateral quickness and he's got decent hops, at best.
No thats not what I'm saying. Never said he was in the upper echelon. There were actually people saying he cant dunk, and or couldnt dunk on anyone

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I don't think that anyone that saw him play last year would think he couldn't dunk or couldn't dunk on someone. Just that he was not in the upper echelon as far as athleticism for a small forward. What I like about him more than anything is his attitude. He definitely is not shy about dunking on someone. To be honest I wish LeBron had his offensive tenacity.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
He's dunking makes him athletic? Maybe relative to your local obese american, but if you're 6'7" and a small forward in the NBA you should be able to dunk with a broken leg.

I wouldn't list athleticism as one of his assets... or weaknesses really.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!
He's dunking makes him athletic? Maybe relative to your local obese american, but if you're 6'7" and a small forward in the NBA you should be able to dunk with a broken leg.

I wouldn't list athleticism as one of his assets... or weaknesses really.
NO,NO,NO. Right before and after the draft there were posters saying he could barely dunk and wont be dunking on anyone in the league and things like that, I was jsut bringing up the fact that, that was silly because hes been doing it all season

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
NO,NO,NO. Right before and after the draft there were posters saying he could barely dunk and wont be dunking on anyone in the league and things like that, I was jsut bringing up the fact that, that was silly because hes been doing it all season
Exactly, I remember that as well. I think LeBron is more athletic than Carmelo. Yet, Carmelo is fairly athletic in his own right. He has proven a lot of folks wrong this year for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts