Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Where will Shelden Williams get drafted?

• Top 10

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Late lotto

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • 15-20

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • 20+

Votes: 4 8.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally think he is top ten material, but I gather some of you think he is only worthy of a later pick. I don't want to get into a critique on his game just your projection.

Top 10
Late Lotto
15-20
or 20+

If a mod could turn this into a poll that would be great. Thanks.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
there's ya poll

unless something unforseen happens... no way he drops out of the lottery.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
With his physique, rebounding and shot-blocking ability, and four years of college, I don't see him falling out of the lottery, let alone top 10.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
He doesn't strike me as too great, but if he can settle into a Buck Williams, Charles Oakley kind of enforcer role, he could have a decent career.

I say he gets picked 8th.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
His knock its he is undersized. Diogu is undersized and he got picked in the top 10. Williams should have no problem.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
HKF said:
He doesn't strike me as too great, but if he can settle into a Buck Williams, Charles Oakley kind of enforcer role, he could have a decent career.

if he goes 8th it is a testament to how bad the draft is,he's undersized and has been outplayed in every matchup with anyone that resembled a decent pro prospect. i'm not sold on the duke players,they'll get drafted but to me they're too hyped. someone is going to have to show me where mcroberts is any great prospect, he's a long way from that.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
rainman said:
if he goes 8th it is a testament to how bad the draft is,he's undersized and has been outplayed in every matchup with anyone that resembled a decent pro prospect.
one player and where they are picked says absolutely nothing about the strength of that draft. what draft has not had some top 10 busts?

that said, sheldon williams should be drafted in the top 10 and i think he will end up being a really solid player. he'll be a pf/c that can rebound, block shots, and score a little bit inside.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
rocketeer said:
one player and where they are picked says absolutely nothing about the strength of that draft. what draft has not had some top 10 busts?

that said, sheldon williams should be drafted in the top 10 and i think he will end up being a really solid player. he'll be a pf/c that can rebound, block shots, and score a little bit inside.
6-7 centers arent exactly in vogue nowadays, he is maybe a udonis haslem type or a wayne simien. certainly he isnt in a league with a sean may or a nick collison,guys who went later than people are now projecting for shelden.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
He rebounds and blocks better than all those you mention. His O is underrated due to the perimeter Duke game.

I would rather have Shelden than all those names.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given the run on bigs this year, I can't beleive any of you voted outside the top 10.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the problem for shelden is that most teams in the lottery draft based on potential. it's unfortunate but in the draft, potential usually matters more than what you have achieved in college. look at what happened to jameer nelson. i think williams will be picked in the late lottery or just outside of it at worst. but then he'll make a lot of teams look stupid for passing him up. he won't be a superstar, but he will be a real solid player in the charles oakley mold.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
The tide is turning against "upside" and it's almost like there is a backlash against potential drafting. Unless a kid is obviously a great prospect, most teams now will probably take the polished player over the athletic freak who can barely dribble the ball.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
^^^^^
I hope that you're right about the tide turining on drafting based on potential. If there is one word that I'm tired of, it has to be 'upside'. I think actually production is often put behind 'upside' with too many people. This leads to too many busts.
I'm really hoping that in the upcoming draft, the GMs will look more at production than perceived upside. Drafting on upside is a guess at best, no one can know for sure. Guys like Dorell Wright, Qyntel Woods, Darko all were claimed to have tremendous upside, but look at what they've done.
Drafting upside is too big of a risk for too many teams, some teams can afford to do it, but most teams with high picks can't.
Back to Williams. If he's available late lotto and the Denver pick is late lotto, I wouldn't mind seeing the Raps pick him up. I think he would fit well next to Bosh or Villy and be able to D up the opposing centre with Bosh and Villy being able to provide help defense and blocks. The Raptors are really lacking in interior toughness and Williams could definitely provide that a la Oakley or AD style. I'm not saying that Williams will be a Ben Wallace caliber player, but the Pistons seem to be doing alright the past few years with a very undersized (short) centre (the afro really makes him look a lot taller than he is) and Sheed, a PF who is long and capable of shooting the mid-range or outside shot (something that Bosh and Villy can both do).
I see Shelden being a much better fit for Toronto than a guy like Aldridge, who is basically CB4 V2.0.
And maybe even a better fit than Magloire, but we'll see what transpires between now and Draft night.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I can't believe so many GM's want to draft guys who may help the next GM keep his job,but may only help you get fired.If I am a GM I would want to draft guys that will contribute while I am still around.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
HKF said:

Just for you HKF ;)

If Channing Frye can get picked 8th, Shelden can get picked 8th.

I view Shelden strickly as a center prospect and not a PF prospect. As long as the team that drafts him lets him play that way, I think he'll have a decent, long term NBA career.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Diable said:
I can't believe so many GM's want to draft guys who may help the next GM keep his job,but may only help you get fired.If I am a GM I would want to draft guys that will contribute while I am still around.
Because if you take a 17 win team to a Conference Championship under your GM tenure, you're going to have your pick of any job in the league. You don't do that by drafting Sean May, sorry, you don't.

Comparing Sheldon's pro potential to Ben Wallace :laugh: How many other successful 6'10'' or below Centers have there been in the last decade?

Drafting established guys also leads to Luke Jackson and Bryce Drew. The test should just be "can they play in a game?" If a player with outrageous physical talent can already pass at the pro level, you take him and forget about the Sean Mays of the world.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts