Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least the one we got to know last year

He is one of the teams best spot up shooters, but we have not seen much of that sweet stroke this year. He has tried to expand his game by putting it on the floor, but looks uncomfortable doing so.

I would love him to get back to his bread and butter

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Matt's been fine last couple of games. Got another 4 steals last night plus a few boards and a 3pt shot.

He actually puts the ball on floor pretty well but his decision making is flawed. He's not a playmaker off the dribble. He has gotten himself some wide open 15 footers off the dribble but they haven't been going down consistently yet. Its a new part of his game and could take a while to develop.

The problem with Matt is that he doesn't want to shoot when a guy is 3 feet off him. He has a lower release than Donny who didn't need as much room to get off his shot. Matt seems scared of getting it blocked, even though nobody has blocked it yet. He's not selfish enough as a shooter. If you get a 3 blocked in the corner it just goes out of bounds, so who cares.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Matt cannot create his own shot when our offense breaks down, which is often. I hate having our guards give it to him at the top of the key with six seconds on the shot clock. His shooting strength is on the catch and shoot, not on the dribble-drive or off of a bounce. There's usually no sense in giving him the ball unless it's part of a rotation around the horn or if he's open.

It's on our guards to find him when the time is right and when he has his feet set. Expecting him to create for himself with any regularity is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
at least he's hustling on defense.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I aint hating on Matt, but really he wasnt worth anywhere near to what he got, your asking where the real red rocket is, this is the real red rocket, suspect defence, an average to good shooter when open and nothing else but the ability to hustle, I was so disappointed when the signing was announced. I'll give Matt credit, he milked his energy and fan appreciation into a 4 million dollar deal and for him to be in the starting line up is a disgrace to the NBA, hes an 8th man at best, sorry just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
lucky777s said:
Matt's been fine last couple of games. Got another 4 steals last night plus a few boards and a 3pt shot.

He actually puts the ball on floor pretty well but his decision making is flawed. He's not a playmaker off the dribble. He has gotten himself some wide open 15 footers off the dribble but they haven't been going down consistently yet. Its a new part of his game and could take a while to develop.

The problem with Matt is that he doesn't want to shoot when a guy is 3 feet off him. He has a lower release than Donny who didn't need as much room to get off his shot. Matt seems scared of getting it blocked, even though nobody has blocked it yet. He's not selfish enough as a shooter. If you get a 3 blocked in the corner it just goes out of bounds, so who cares.
I tend to agree.

Matt is expanding his game right now he has trippled his repertoire and is working on getting comfortable with he new moves. I seriously think he will be alot better in the months to come.

Alot more fake at the 3, 2 step dribble and then open jumper. and a little more jump hook in the key action. If you just watch him alone you can see he is likely the headiest player on the Raps right now does not have all the ability of a CV31 but gets more done to help the team play better.

Aside from that you can't ignore what a great locker room, unselfish humble hustler he is.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I Never Liked Bonner Anywayz, I Still Believe He Duzn't The NBA Body. I Don't Care What Ya'll Say.. :boohoo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts