Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 19th - 20th

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This topic has been bantered about in a couple of threads, but it may be worthwhile for us to reframe the topic. The Knicks will get better -- there's no doubt -- but, I'm not sure that necessarily means the Knicks will convey a low pick.

The pick is for all purposes unrestricted. The only way the Knicks retain the pick is if San Antonio finishes worse then 22nd or the Knicks finish in the top four. http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html.

There are a number of interesting patterns in the standings that could lead to a higher pick for the Bulls:

[1] Few teams are tanking. This season, Toronto, Atlanta, and the Hornets are the only three teams that are in a rebuilding phase. All of the rest have a legitimate chances to make the playoffs. Compare this to last year when there were seven teams in a regrouping mode: Hawks, Toronto, Bobcats, Hornets, Trailblazers, Jazz [post Kirilenko injury], and to some extent Milwaukee. In 2003-04 there were also seven teams rebuilding: Clippers, Suns, Raptors, Hawks, Toronto, Bulls [post Rose trade] and the Wizards.

[2] Clippers Syndrome, A.K.A. Parity out West. In past seasons, you could always depend on there being two or three teams out West, that despite being average, got the beatdown. With the West being weaker this season, I see marginal teams such as the Clips, Grizz and Sacremento being able to place better then the Knicks even though they may not be as strong.

[3] A stronger East. A.K.A. Reverse Clippers syndrome. There likely could be one or two teams out East who get the beatdown even though they play mediocre ball. Atlanta and Toronto are going to have a tough time this season. Will the Knicks be pushed on to this list?

I see Toronto, Hornets, and Atlanta, finishing worse then the Knicks with the rest being up for grabs.

In the East, Orlando, appears to be at least momentarily on the up-swing. Pierce is playing better and the Celtics are deeper then they have been in years past. Philly is getting their usually production from AI, and Iguodala has been putting together some big games. Charlotte looks ready to take the next step, and from the last few games it looks like the Bulls have not lost last season's fire.

Out West, the Clips are playing great ball. Baron is playing well for Golden State, and the Jazz have rebounded with Kirilenko back in the lineup. Houston, Seattle, and Sacramento will play better, and Portland always surprises me when I predict them to self-destruct.

Bottom line, the league looks much deeper this year. The Knicks could finish with a slightly below-average record and still pass along a high draft selection.

In 2006, where do the Bulls pick?

Edit: when I ask where will the Bulls will pick, I'm asking which draft place the Knicks will convey. I realize the first three picks will be decided by the lottery.

·
Banned
900 Posts
If the draft was today New York will draft at 3 which is according to www.nbadraft.net Daniel Gibson 6-2 190 PG Texas So. So if I was Pax i would trade right away our draft via trade from new york 3 for 11 Tiago Splitter which will get drafted by Minny and our own draft pick no9 Rodney Carney 6-7 205 SF Memphis st. along with our 2nd drat pick to a team for a superstar along with TT and Ben

·
Banned
900 Posts
and i will also sign Diamantidis or Zisis from PAOBC and Benneton Treviso,those guys along with Papaloukas are awesome to fill our backcourt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts