Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what happened to him? I don't think I've seen any posts recently - even the reclusive barfo is out-posting him.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
meru said:
Well, what happened to him? I don't think I've seen any posts recently - even the reclusive barfo is out-posting him.
I saw a post by TheWanker, last night I believe. But, I've noticed that he has been absent and unaccounted for, more or less, for the past few days.

Barfo, on the other hand, is "with the sumermodels". :wink: Hopefully my girlfriend isn't one of them. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I havent seen Beer&Basketball lately either.....

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Wanker and B&B disappear around the same time that Playmaker makes a comeback? Conspiracy? I think so...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I havent seen Beer&Basketball lately either.....
It is March, which, as we all know, is a GREEEEEEEAT time for, both, beer and basketball. Maybe he's been consuming too much of both. :banana:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Schilly said:
Wanker is taking time away to work on writing a Novel.
How does one do that? Did he cancel his internet subscription service? If I was supposed to be writing something (as indeed I am) I would find the lure of the internet irresistible.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"BEER & BASKETBALL" is the same poster who used to be called "JohnnyCash", right?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
truth is that I just came back the day before yesterday from England on a two week vacation. went and saw the inlaws up in Norfolk and drove around on the wrong side of the road in the Yorkshire Dales and moors (where the dude in "American Werewolf in London" gets bit. "Stay on the path.")

my inlaws convinced me to watch one of the funniest movies I've ever seen--"Withnail and I." have you seen that one, meru? the character Danny even beats Bill Murray/Caddyshack as the absolutely funniest drugged out zombie of all time. one of his many great lines is now in my sig.

but the best part was probably the short trip the wife and her dad and I took to Amsterdam. Erin and I shared about a gram of Bubble Gum marijuana (they had a selection of 17 different types), which the cafe described as "moderate, yet not too spacey." I don't smoke hardly ever anymore (certainly nothing compared to my U of O dayz), but the only time I remember being that high before was the last time I was in Amsterdam. the street bounced. walls rotated.

I woke up this morning at 2:34 am and won't go back to sleep. jet lag is a *****.

my wife's parents are actually discussing moving to Idaho to retire. they're getting old and cranky and fed up with the crowded lifestyle of England. there are roughly 55 times as many people there as here in basically the same size of area. if they make the move, my wife will be able to sponsor them, as she's going to be a US citizen in six months or so.

may sound strange, but I hope the inlaws move closer. it's not been easy for my wife to live so far away from them over the last five years, and I think she'd like to hear a few more English voices. my English impersonation leans a little too "Monty Python Man Impersonating Woman".

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theWanker said:
truth is that I just came back the day before yesterday from England on a two week vacation. went and saw the inlaws up in Norfolk and drove around on the wrong side of the road in the Yorkshire Dales and moors (where the dude in "American Werewolf in London" gets bit. "Stay on the path.")
Have you ever seen "The Young Ones" (stupid, if then-revolutionary 80s comedy show)? If so, you'd recognize Rik playing chess in The Slaughtered Lamb. "Must the world know our business?"

my inlaws convinced me to watch one of the funniest movies I've ever seen--"Withnail and I." have you seen that one, meru? the character Danny even beats Bill Murray/Caddyshack as the absolutely funniest drugged out zombie of all time. one of his many great lines is now in my sig.
"Sensitive crimes in a punt"
"Bugger the Wellingtons!"
"It's called a camberwell carrot, because I invented it in Camberwell, and it resembles a carrot..."

No, don't know what you're talking about.

What I don't know is how Richard E. Grant went from that movie to playing an action hero (of sorts) in another classic: Warlock.

(By the way, Grant wrote a book called With Nails. Check it out.)

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
just about every line of that film is a classic. I went to IMDB and nabbed some other favorites:

Peter Marwood: My thumbs have gone weird.

[Hungrily contemplating a live chicken]
Withnail: How do we make it die?

Withnail: Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.

Withnail: I feel like a pig **** in my head.

Uncle Monty: I mean to have you, boy, even if it must be burglary.

Withnail: I want something's flesh.

Withnail: Don't threaten me with a dead fish.

Withnail: I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

Withnail: I'm going to pull your head off, because I don't like your head.

Withnail: This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

Withnail: Liar. What's in your toolbox.
Peter Marwood: Nothing.
Withnail: Liar. You've got antifreeze.
Peter Marwood: You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks.

Withnail: We've gone on holiday by mistake.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
meru said:
Have you ever seen "The Young Ones" (stupid, if then-revolutionary 80s comedy show)? If so, you'd recognize Rik playing chess in The Slaughtered Lamb. "Must the world know our business?"
Loved the The Young Ones.

Introduced me to Tuxteth O'grady.

btw, I thought if you married a yank, you became a yank?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
nope. if you marry a yank you are entitled to apply for permanent legal resident alien status. you do this by filling out a miriad of contradictory, uninteligible forms that also ask if you have any affiliation to a communist party or are an alcoholic or served with or knew any government officials in Germany between the years 1938 and 1945 (no joke). I've got a liberal arts degree, and I needed a lawyer to decipher some parts of it.

after a year, you receive a piece of paper that tells you your permanent resident alien card will arrive in six months. after eight more months the card will arrive.

after three years of living in America, you receive notification that you are a legal resident alien.

after about five years or so, you can finally apply for US citizenship, and they tell us it'll be another six months before she'll take the test and get sworn in.

through the whole process, you will be treated like utter dog crap by rude and incompetent bureaucrats who (wisely) sit behind bulletproof glass and seem to make up policy right there on the spot. they will take every opportunity to be obnoxious, annoying, threatening, and obtuse. any visit to an immigration office will take not less than an hour and a half to talk to a warm body. and I use the term "warm body" somewhat loosely.

if you decide to leave the US at any time during this process, you (and your American spouse) can expect to be treated like dog crap upon trying to return. having all necessary paperwork and being polite only seems to piss them off.

throughout the whole process, they may lose the paperwork at any time, causing you to be living here illegally and also causing you to start completely over.

the way we treat our "huddled masses yearning to breath free" is an utter disgrace. I'm embarrassed for my country.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheWanker didn't mention the part where us furners get ripped off by cynical immigration attorneys.

Piece of advice: apply for your Green Card in Detroit, NOT Los Angeles.

And did you know, that all your immigration info is stored in a giant file cabinet in the middle of Nebraska? And if anywhere wants that info, it has to be flown out? Computers? What are they?

The writer/director of Withnail and I did a follow-up that was VERY weird (again starring the wonderful Richard E. Grant [who I last saw as a butler in Gosford Park] called "How to Get Ahead in Advertising." Grant grows an extra head. Yes, the title is a very strange pun.

My brush with celebrity - I stood next to Paul McGann ("I" of Withnail and, and also the last guy to play Dr. Who) in a pub in Santa Monica, at about 8 in the morning, watching the FA Cup final in the early '90s. Ah, good times.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I saw that film (because I actually studied advertising in college, not because of being an anglophile). truly a strange movie. I felt Withnail was better. on your advice, I just ordered the book With Nail on Amazon. looks like a pretty good read.

it truly is shocking how un-digitized Immigration is. I've got moderate Access database design skills, and I think I could design a system that would shave billions of dollars off that bloated mess in about two weeks. (maybe it'd be pretty easy to hack, but you get the idea.) six or seven talented database designers ought to be able to get a real solution in place in about two months. in addition, one smart attorney and one person with a grasp of the english language would be able to cut the paperwork in half and eliminate an entire service industry of sleazy immigration lawyers.

two months ago I was five feet away from Bruce Willis, who was playing with his band The Accelerators in a club he owns up here near Sun Valley, Id. Bruce Willis was in Hudson Hawk, which is one of a dozen crappy films Richard E Grant somehow got stuck in. fwiw.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
theWanker said:
two months ago I was five feet away from Bruce Willis, who was playing with his band The Accelerators in a club he owns up here near Sun Valley
So, naturally, you popped him one, and said "that's for being a no-talent Republican hack", right?

I can top that: in about 1990, my then-girlfriend and I were trying to find a parking spot in LA to see the re-make of Night of the Living Dead, and Andy from Twin Peaks walked right in front of our car! I know, I know, you're impressed. That and the time some arsehole started up an un-silenced Harley behind my friend and I on Melrose and we turned round and it was Mickey Rourke. Hey, wasn't he in something half-decent recently?

Id. Bruce Willis was in Hudson Hawk, which is one of a dozen crappy films Richard E Grant somehow got stuck in. fwiw.
I don't think people know what to do with him. Now he's latched on with Robert Altman he's in a little better class of movies. But really, after Withnail and Warlock, there's no way but down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts