Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I'd have to say Terry Porter.

He had a stellar career as a player, was/is a solid citizen, and is well on his way to have a successful coaching career. Seems to always say and do the "right" things.

Clyde is my #2 choice. Better player, but hasn't had as suucessful post-playing career. Plus, he seems a bit impetious, or waffles, at times. No biggie, but I'm just more proud of TP.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
Personally, I'd have to say Terry Porter.

He had a stellar career as a player, was/is a solid citizen, and is well on his way to have a successful coaching career. Seems to always say and do the "right" things.

Clyde is my #2 choice. Better player, but hasn't had as suucessful post-playing career. Plus, he seems a bit impetious, or waffles, at times. No biggie, but I'm just more proud of TP.
:yes: Same thing. ABM, Genius' think alike.:grinning: Terry was the Blazer I am most proud of, he was always smiling on the court. IDK but that guy is a fav. of mine. His game is like mine I guess.

BFreak.:D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Terry Porter

Pure class on the court and off. To think we gave him up for "great guy" like Rod Strickland. There is no way Porter should have left this organization. We just let another quality guy go in Jerome Kersey. Drexler can't get in the door. Buck Williams couldn't leave quick enough. Vandewegh is doing an amazing job in Denver. Johnnie Davis is one of the classiest coaches in the league. The Blazer have always had quality individuals on this team and we always screw them over.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I don't know about being "proud" of someone I've never even met but Arvidas Sabonis has certainly impressed me with what he has accomplished and experienced in every public arena he has walked through in his life.

Aside from owning his own team, Olympic medals, Euroleague honors (MVP this year for the old man) and NBA highlights, he has established perhaps the world's finest basketball school in his home country of Lithuania.

He speaks several languages fluently, has travelled many countries, and in Europe he is bigger than Michael Jordan.

I've followed his career since we drafted him and have never seen a negative comment about him.

That alone is an incredible accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Duds, why laugh? He has contributed a great deal of time,money and effort into at least one orginzation that has recieved national attention. Diabetes related(?), I think. Amazing person. He wasn't the most gifted player either but he gave it his all and one time was a decent center.

I think Jerome Kersey deserves a mention here. Not amongst guys like TP or Kiki but he has done a lot for himself in a short period of time.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RoseCity</b>!
Duds, why laugh? He has contributed a great deal of time,money and effort into at least one orginzation that has recieved national attention. Diabetes related(?), I think. Amazing person. He wasn't the most gifted player either but he gave it his all and one time was a decent center.

I think Jerome Kersey deserves a mention here. Not amongst guys like TP or Kiki but he has done a lot for himself in a short period of time.
I was laughing at Dudley as a player. He is a great person, don't get me wrong, but in my eyes, he just wasn't a good basketball player.

BFreak.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well,it surely is not Rasheed Wallace.
A player who forever tarnished the Blazers,and cost us wins
with nothing more than his sour personality.

Sabonis,Sabonis,Sabonis is really the only player to be proud
of in my mind.
Weren't the others just doing their job?
Not sure what there was to be proud of really with their pasts.

Sabas could have gone after so much fame and fortune,but
always came here to little old Portland.
Try getting a bigger name than that here..ever !

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I picked Duds because he was a massive over achiever and made the team better for it. He may not have been the caliber of player to make statistical history but I think he was the sort of person that made others around him better players.

Besides the topic was who to be proud of, not greatest Blazer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting question.

Is there a lot of difference between favorite former and proudest of?

The Former Blazer that I am proudest of is Kermit Washington for all the effort he has put into making a difference in Africa as well as working with kids here.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm not sure about 'proud' but I think the blazer that I'm most impressed with their overall accomplishments is...

I guess there are a few.

Terry Porter - small school, great work ethic, clutch performer (is there such a thing as clutch? j/k), good citizen, post playing success.

Dudley - intelligent, good citizen, great work ethic (to make up for no talent), fantastic community guy both during and post-playing.

Greg Anthony - loved his defense, stayed out of trouble and a very good tv guy now.

Trying to pick one current guy....

I guess Theo. He hasn't really been here long enough but based on reputation and a half of season, great defense and work ethic and seems like another outstanding community guy.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Bill Walton.

An outspoken, pot smoking, counter-culture icon who is now very well paid to sit on TV and spew mindless defense of the establishment.

For a scum-sucking hypocrite, he has gone far!:love:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
A couple more to add to the list.....

Geoff Petrie - from All-Star Blazer, One-On-One NBA Champ, to successful President/GM for Blazers and Sac Town.

Rick Adelman - from average Blazer guard, to loyal Asst. Coach, and successful Head Coach at Blazers and Sac Town.

TP ain't bad though.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by <b>RedHot&Rolling</b>!

Geoff Petrie - from All-Star Blazer, One-On-One NBA Champ, to successful President/GM for Blazers and Sac Town.
I once had a girlfriend from Wilsonville who worked at Smith's Home Furnishings corporate office there. (Now, out of business, I believe.)

She was pretty good friends with a Smith's exec that was a sort of venture partner with Geoff. Anyway, she also knew the person that supplied them their pot.

Not sure why I even related this. Ahh, well............ :)

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

I once had a girlfriend from Wilsonville who worked at Smith's Home Furnishings corporate office there. (Now, out of business, I believe.)

She was pretty good friends with a Smith's exec that was a sort of venture partner with Geoff. Anyway, she also knew the person that supplied them their pot.

Not sure why I even related this. Ahh, well............ :)
hrm..are you suggesting that Geoff Petrie partook in the use of marijuana? but he's a saint.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts