Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Which former NHL city is most likely to have the NHL back in town?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some teams are struggling and it's only a matter of time before a team(s) get relocated. Personally I hope the NHL recognizes Winnipeg as an obvious hockey market to relocate. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stay in the states and move a team to a sustainable hockey market like Hartford.

If a team were to relocate which city do you think the NHL would lack at?

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
I think both could be done, Winnipeg and Hartford can support teams, I think another team in Southern Ontario could work but I doubt anyone would want to pay the enourmous money they would have to give the leafs to move into their backyard.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wink said:
I think both could be done, Winnipeg and Hartford can support teams, I think another team in Southern Ontario could work but I doubt anyone would want to pay the enourmous money they would have to give the leafs to move into their backyard.
Is Hamilton in southern Ontario, perhaps they could support a team?

Slight off topic: Some idiot on HNIC suggested Toronto get another franchise. I almost vomited, what a sickening idea.

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
I see no problem with it, we have two teams in New York, two teams in LA(well Anaheim), Toronto is one of the larger hockey markets there is. I can't see it happening though because of the huge amount of money they would have to give the Leafs to move into their no competition zone.

And to Kid Canada, yes Hamilton is in Southern Ontario, infact I think they are within the competition zone.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I voted Hartford.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toronto gets more then enough media attention, giving them two teams would be to much for me to handle.

I don't mind if Ontario gets another team, but another team called Toronto is overboard.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Cleveland has the market and has huge support for the minor league team already there. "Gund" Arena downtown which is where the Cavs play basketball is setup for hockey.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
what about the bluejackets how close are columbus and cleveland?

i think winnipeg should get a team again and bring back the Jets jerseys

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I would love to see a team in Portland...the new owners of our arena Global Spectrum are apparently pushing hard for a NHL team in the next 4-6 years. We have been a 1 sport town for to long.

·
Registered
261 Posts
sa1177 said:
I would love to see a team in Portland...the new owners of our arena Global Spectrum are apparently pushing hard for a NHL team in the next 4-6 years. We have been a 1 sport town for to long.
A few years ago they're was suggestion that the Flames might move to Portland due to financial instability, well with Flames spirit injected into this city due the the play-off run, that won't be happening anytime soon. Thank god for the bandwagoners!

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Pens with Crosby should be good attendence wise this year add the fact they have a good team that has not connected chemistry wise or they are just a good team on paper.

I think Washington possibly could move, terrible attendence, give them a 2 years with Ovechkin and more young talent if nothing then I think ownership could think about relocating.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hopefully it would be Winipeg, but I think the most reconized city would be portland or cleveland.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Bring hockey back to the 'Peg, that would be cool.
You probably need to consider that if a team goes into Winipeg or Portland, the NHL would probably want to add a team to the eastern conferance to keep things balanced.

Maybe Hartford, that'd be cool, but I'd prefer Hamilton, the place is a hole and could use and NHL team to give it some life. the Ti-cats have sucked forever and even though it's only 45 minutes aways from Toronto, the market is the biggest in the world and could easily support another franchise. Might as well put a team somewhere it would do well.

the problem with new Canadian franchises is that the league gains nothing from them. They're not winning over any new fans, the people in those place (say wininpeg and hamilon) already watch hockey, they're already making money off them. that's why the NHL will probably prefer to kick those teams is the states.

*OT: this is may 469th post. tee-hee, uhh geez I gotta grow up :no:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Winnipeg

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Not sure if Houston had an NHL team before, I know they have the Aeros, but it's listed as a possible city for the Penguins' relocation since they aren't getting a new arena and the current arena lease ends in 2007.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would love for Winnipeg to get back a team, but I think it will come down to either Kansas City or Portland.

·
now named...THE ICEMAN
5,218 Posts
I want an NHL team in London Ontario (Home of the London Knights). London is in Southern Ontario, exactly halfway between Detroit and Toronto, and its a big enough city to support an NHL team.

But, realistically I would say that Winnipeg or Cleveland or even a city out in the Maritimes would get the NHL team, if a current NHL team was to relocate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winnipeg *should* be the choice. New arena, great fans.

Portland is more likely... although Hartford and Cleveland are solid possabilities. I also heard something about Indy?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts