Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of the names I have listed below please put in order from most overrated to least overrated.
If you don't think a player is overrated then say it.
Please only use the players listed below.
I am leaving off the really big names like Shaq and Kobe because I pretty much know how people feel about them (so does everyone else)

Please take into consideration
How they make their teammates better/worse
If they are the only marque player on the team
Are they better or worse then they were last year (Did they have more or less help)
Are they team players?
Are their stats such as points, rebounds and assists based on the fact they are the only name on the team



Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Allan Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd

I edited out Vince Carter because I didn't mean to have him there. Sorry.
 

·
duke of new york, a#1
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
I don't think any of those guys are overrated, actually.
All five are true superstars who are absolutely essential to the success of their teams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>24-7</b>!
Of the names I have listed below please put in order from most overrated to least overrated.
If you don't think a player is overrated then say it.
Please only use the players listed below.
I am leaving off the really big names like Shaq and Kobe because I pretty much know how people feel about them (so does everyone else)

Please take into consideration
How they make their teammates better/worse
If they are the only marque player on the team
Are they better or worse then they were last year (Did they have more or less help)
Are they team players?
Are their stats such as points, rebounds and assists based on the fact they are the only name on the team



Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Allan Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd

I edited out Vince Carter because I didn't mean to have him there. Sorry.

KG
Kidd
AI
P2
Dirk

I think all of them are well-rated. I can't imagine too many fans thinking any of them are overrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
None of those guys are overrated. It's impossible to rank them by a criteria that doesn't apply to any of them.
Base it on any criteria you wish. I just wanted those ones included in part of your reasoning.

I feel when a player is on a team where they are the only option their points, rebounds and assists differ from someone who is on a team where they have to compete for the ball.
(A good example is Dirk has to fight for points, rebound, asists etc... with 4 other guys where as Allan Iverson is basically the only guy)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,139 Posts
garnett is not overrated but if you look at his stats they are the best in the league every season
because of flip saunders system

i would say Dirk is the most overrated out of those
i hate his game
and he only puts up points and rebounds
he is a ball hog
and has NOOOOO D
he isnt a bad player but he is not top 5-10 like most think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>24-7</b>!
Of the names I have listed below please put in order from most overrated to least overrated.
If you don't think a player is overrated then say it.
Please only use the players listed below.
I am leaving off the really big names like Shaq and Kobe because I pretty much know how people feel about them (so does everyone else)

Please take into consideration
How they make their teammates better/worse
If they are the only marque player on the team
Are they better or worse then they were last year (Did they have more or less help)
Are they team players?
Are their stats such as points, rebounds and assists based on the fact they are the only name on the team



Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Allan Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd

I edited out Vince Carter because I didn't mean to have him there. Sorry.
care to explain whats your criteria for being "OVERRATED" ?????
what is the standard measure for overrate ??
overall production vs. salary ?? or overall production vs. fame ??
overall production vs. team impact ?? or overall production vs. all of those 3 combine (salary-fame-team impact) ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Originally posted by <b>24-7</b>!

Paul Pierce
Dirk Nowitzki
Allan Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd

I edited out Vince Carter because I didn't mean to have him there. Sorry.
LOL, the only 1 that I would say is overrated is Carter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,840 Posts
Kevin Garnett as overrated?


I would say Pierce is the most overrated, out of those listed players. It doesn't seem as if he has improved since the Celtics went to the Eastern Conference Finals.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>24-7</b>!


Base it on any criteria you wish. I just wanted those ones included in part of your reasoning.

I feel when a player is on a team where they are the only option their points, rebounds and assists differ from someone who is on a team where they have to compete for the ball.
(A good example is Dirk has to fight for points, rebound, asists etc... with 4 other guys where as Allan Iverson is basically the only guy)
I consider someone to be overrated when they're getting more attention than is warranted for what they are doing. Richard Jefferson of last year was a good example.(He's not overrated now though).

I think all of these players have proven themselves enough, that the team they are playing on doesn't really change how I rate them.

I've seen Dirk carrying the german national team before. And it's not anymore or less impressive than Iverson carrying the Sixers. And I've seen Iverson compete on the Olympic team and many all-star teams for his due and he's recieved it no matter who is playing around him. People on Team USA were raving about how good Iverson was this summer.

I think with Dirk on the Mavs you get to see more dimensions of his game. But on the Sixers I think you only really see a few dimensions of Iverson's total game. Same with Mcgrady. And all of the others.

I don't know. Why did you pick these players for this question?

It's like if you gave me this list:
Marbury
Nash
Parker
Baron

And asked me who was the better power forward.
I just couldn't tell you. The question has no relevance to the players chosen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

It's like if you gave me this list:
Marbury
Nash
Parker
Baron

And asked me who was the better power forward.
I just couldn't tell you. The question has no relevance to the players chosen.
Marbury for sure;)
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Kevin Garnett
Jason Kidd
Paul Pierce
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki

I don't think any of them are overrated, really, so I just ordered them by talent. Garnett's the best. ;)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top