Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Which of these two NBA Finals was more exciting?

523 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  The MAMBA 
#1 ·
Basketball became my favorite sport over Baseball ever since the Rockets won the Finals back to back. I wanna bring back those memories of the Rockets' glory days, and I'm trying to decide which finals video (damn, no DVD) to pick up, the '94 finals or the '95 (I know, the right answer is probably 'both'). All I can remember really is that the series against the Knicks was a tense, well-fought 7 game series, and I think the team was weaker since they didn't have Drexler (though the Rockets had a >70% win record that season). In '95, they were the underdogs, everyone predicted it was Shaq's time to get his first ring, but they absolutely destroyed the Magic in 4 games. So which is the more entertaining series to watch... which showcases the Dream at his absolute best? I was 12-13 at the time, so I don't really remember well enough.

#2 ·
mysterio said:
Basketball became my favorite sport over Baseball ever since the Rockets won the Finals back to back. I wanna bring back those memories of the Rockets' glory days, and I'm trying to decide which finals video (damn, no DVD) to pick up, the '94 finals or the '95 (I know, the right answer is probably 'both'). All I can remember really is that the series against the Knicks was a tense, well-fought 7 game series, and I think the team was weaker since they didn't have Drexler (though the Rockets had a >70% win record that season). In '95, they were the underdogs, everyone predicted it was Shaq's time to get his first ring, but they absolutely destroyed the Magic in 4 games. So which is the more entertaining series to watch... which showcases the Dream at his absolute best? I was 12-13 at the time, so I don't really remember well enough.
Obviously i loved both. But if i have to choose again, i would go with the 95 Finals. Simply because every game was justy wonderful. Esp watching Horry and Cassell just tear it up. Game 1 was a killer NBA finals game. Kenny Smith simply turned that game around.

I have both, but i peronally like the 95 series better. The 94 was just very brutal and just a bunch of guys beating the hell out of eachother.

#6 ·
'94 was a slugfest. The Rockets averaged 87 ppg for the series. When you have nortoriously trigger-happy shooting guards, and arguably the greatest defensive frontcourt of all time going up against another great defensive frontcourt with both sides' leading scorers being big men, you know it's not going to be easy on the eyes. It was basically Olajuwon battling in the low post with Mason and Ewing, and Derek Harper talking trash and abusing the Rocket point guards.

But it's still a very enjoyable series, IMO. Watch Olajuwon, Mason and Ewing exhibit their awesome defense. Watch Derek Harper beat the **** through Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell every time they bring the ball up court. Watch Oakley and Thorpe wrestle under the basket for 40 minutes each game, and watch Robert Horry go flying all over the place. Also watch the flare up on court during the OJ chase. Great stuff.

'95 was Shaq vs Hakeem. Neither could contain the other. Fast-paced. See Drexler and Penny play very well. The Magic were young and athletic, but were simply outclassed. Olajuwon seemed to be in control the whole time.

Most people liked '95 better. But '94 is my favorite series of all time. It depends what you're buying. If it's the whole series, get '94. If it's just the championship video, get '95 (better highlights).

#7 ·
Excellent post.

94' was the closest Finals I ever watched. Every game went down to the wire. Olajuwon vs Ewing was a dream matchup considering Ewing beat Olajuwon in the 84' NCAA finals.

Penny played great in the 95' finals. It was just a matter of experience beating talent.

Hakeem said:
'94 was a slugfest. The Rockets averaged 87 ppg for the series. When you have nortoriously trigger-happy shooting guards, and arguably the greatest defensive frontcourt of all time going up against another great defensive frontcourt with both sides' leading scorers being big men, you know it's not going to be easy on the eyes. It was basically Olajuwon battling in the low post with Mason and Ewing, and Derek Harper talking trash and abusing the Rocket point guards.

But it's still a very enjoyable series, IMO. Watch Olajuwon, Mason and Ewing exhibit their awesome defense. Watch Derek Harper beat the **** through Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell every time they bring the ball up court. Watch Oakley and Thorpe wrestle under the basket for 40 minutes each game, and watch Robert Horry go flying all over the place. Also watch the flare up on court during the OJ chase. Great stuff.

'95 was Shaq vs Hakeem. Neither could contain the other. Fast-paced. See Drexler and Penny play very well. The Magic were young and athletic, but were simply outclassed. Olajuwon seemed to be in control the whole time.

Most people liked '95 better. But '94 is my favorite series of all time. It depends what you're buying. If it's the whole series, get '94. If it's just the championship video, get '95 (better highlights).

Reactions: CbobbyB
#8 ·
Definitely go for '95. That was their back-to-back yr plus they had Glide.

Reactions: CbobbyB
#9 ·
The MAMBA said:
All I remember about the 94 Finals, was that one of the games was completely interrupted by the O.J. Simpson highway chase.
lol MAMBA I never looked at Broncos the same after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.