Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
VC, T-Mac, Desmond Mason, Darius Miles, Ricky Davis, Kedrick Brown, Jason Richardson, and Samuel Dalembert are just a few off the top of my head.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Who knows.

I would bet it is not nearly as many as Charlotte______ listed.

Vertical jump is jumping off of 2 feet standing. Not running to the basket and taking off.

I remember when McDyess came into the league he was measured with a 41 or 43 inch vertical and that was said to be one of the highest ever measured in the NBA.

Amare Stoudemire was registered with 38 or 39 or something like that before the draft. Dalembert is certainly not a higher leaper.

Marion and Francis are maybe the only ones with a vertical of +40.

·
Registered
490 Posts
basketball math

i don't remember the measurements, but many people around that time swear that they saw larry nance touch the top of the backboard from a standing jump several times back in the mid-80's when he was a leaper on the cavs.

nance was 6'10" so i don't know if that's a 40" vertical leap or not, but everyone seemed pretty impressed.

can anyone figure out the distance of that jump? here's my un-scientific guess:

a 6'10" guy stretching his arm up could touch about halfway up the net. you have to be well over 7' to touch the rim on your feet. distance from rim to top of backboard is what, around 2.5 feet/32 inches? if that's the case, adding the 6" from below the rim that is his mark when standing, then he would have had to jump about 38 inches to touch the top.

THEN if a train left gund arena for akron carrying lebron james' entourage of 5 people, and gloria james got off the train at university circle and got in the hummer, then traveled 65 mph to akron, a distance of 32 miles, how many darius miles would it take to make an open jumper? and for a bonus, calculate the circumference of lebron's nuts - being sure to take into account the swelling caused by the number of hangers from said nuts.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
the new guy-

Ronald Dupree

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!

Marion and Francis are maybe the only ones with a vertical of +40.
*buzzer* Wrong!

Ronald Dupree (signed recently by the Bulls) recorded a 41.5" vertical at the predraft combines, and Troy Bell recorded right around 40" as well before the draft. The Bulls' Eddie Robinson also has a 40". Contrary to what many people think, Desmond Mason has never recorded a vertical leap of 40" (close, but no cigar). Kobe's is said to be at 38" right now, and it was measured at 33" right before he got drafted. Marcus Haislip has a 40" vertical, and I bet Stromile Swift has one right around there as well. Vertical leap is a strange and variable thing, and a measurement that is often skewed one way or another.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I doubt those numbers because a few years back they had a machine measuring verticals at the slam dunk contest.

This was while dunking, mening full on run up, not standing and going staright up. Francis and Carter were measured as the best, but nowhere near 40 inches. both were around 36 inches.

Nobody can touch the top of the backboard. That's a popular urban myth. Forget about that one once and for all.

And finally, I thought the argument has been that players are getting more and more athletic. How come then Davis Thompson supposedly had a 43 inch vertical back in the 70s and Darrel Griffith ( Dr. Dunkenstein ) was said to be measured at 48 inch vertical.

Good Question about Darius Miles too. You'll be asking the same about Lebron 5 years from now.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!

This was while dunking, mening full on run up, not standing and going staright up. Francis and Carter were measured as the best, but nowhere near 40 inches. both were around 36 inches.
I remember that. Francis got up to 40", and Carter got above 40". I have it on tape. Also, one doesn't get as high as they possibly can when they're dunking, especially when they're trying to win a dunk contest with an acrobatic maneuver. Physics, man.

Nobody can touch the top of the backboard. That's a popular urban myth. Forget about that one once and for all.
How are you so sure?

And finally, I thought the argument has been that players are getting more and more athletic. How come then Davis Thompson supposedly had a 43 inch vertical back in the 70s and Darrel Griffith ( Dr. Dunkenstein ) was said to be measured at 48 inch vertical.
Increased athleticism is the trend, not the rule. Ever hear of Michael Wilson, 6'5" G/F who played at Memphis a few years ago? He had an official recorded vertical of 51", and held the world dunk record of 11'6" or thereabouts until someone else (I don't know who) broke it recently.

If you question the evolution of athleticism, just take a look at the NFL.

Bingo.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Keon Clark - 6'11 40" vert.

Rediculous athlete, not much discipline.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hmmm, are you sure.....

I don't remember Carter or Francis getting above 36+

Anyway, that is with full run off, so jumping as they should, with 2 feet firmly planted , then jumping straight up, it would be less than when dunking with a full run up.

The problem with verticals is that people often measure these with running starts and you get higher numbers.

Nobody can touch the top of the backboard because we'd all be seeing tapes of it on ESPN and before games, during the all star break, etc............. Trust me , if somebody could do it, they'd be showing it off a lot.

Sure I do question the evolution of athleticism. It happens, but it's very slow. You could put body builders on a basketball court, they still would suck and wouldn't jump very high. Just because player looks bigger and more like World Wrestling guy doesn't make him a better athlete.

Didn't track and field records from 1968 Olympics last for almost 30 years ( long jump , 200m 400m sprints ). When was the high jump record broken last?

Sotomayer in 1989 2m and 44 cm, then 4 years after than he improved 1 cm

Before that we have a Russian guy jumping 2m and 41 and a swede jumping 2m 42 in 1985 , 20 years ago. Doesn't seem like they've improved much since, does it.

All you have in the NBA is more guys on steroids who look more muscular than the average guy 20 years ago. Doesn't necessarly mean they are better athletes, and definitely doesn't mean they are better players.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i think vince carter for sure cause he jumped over that french guy, and i think he did a similar dunk on duncan byt did not go over duncan, kedrick brown, Spudd webb probably had more than 40

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
Ronald Dupree (signed recently by the Bulls) recorded a 41.5" vertical at the predraft combines, and Troy Bell recorded right around 40" as well before the draft.
I remember that. Dupree was the highest, followed by Bell. Troy was the best overall athlete at the combine.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I bet Lebron has a 40 inch vertical leap. Carter too. Especially a younger Carter.

I bet Iverson had one back in his college days.

·
Registered
490 Posts
backboard

i still think someone could touch the top of the backboard. yao ming can touch the rim flat-footed! big z can touch the rim on his tippy toes. someone like garnett, who's already 7' and a big leaper, probably can. lebron is a candidate too. it seems to me that if you can get your head to the rim (which is done time and time again and recorded in pictures) and you had a big wingspan you could touch the top. the question becomes why? people don't do it because it means nothing to do it, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts