Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pax has recently reiterated his position that the assets the Bulls currently have (draft picks and young talent) could be perfect for a team that decides to blow up and rebuild. He thinks that's the best shot they have at landing a real star. If such a rebuilding were to happen, I think Pax would pay very close attention.

Here's my list of teams that might possibly do that.

Team: Minnesota
Player to acquire: KG

Enough said here. Minny has missed the playoffs yet again, and while Ricky Davis gave them an injection of energy, they are still a terrible team. Garnett is probably one of the most frustrated guys in the league, and the time to trade him would be now, while he still has 3-4 years left in his prime. He's turning 30 this year, but in the last seven seasons, he's only missed 3 games. Durable enough, and still getting it done with 22 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.37 spg and 1.41 bpg. KG is still KG, even if the rest of the world is looking for the NEXT one.

Possible trade for him: Gordon, Noch, Chandler, and our own pick.

Duhon/Hinrich/Deng/Garnett/Aldridge? A more talented lineup than he's played with for a while.

Team: Golden State
Player to acquire: Jason Richardson

I've brought this up before, but all that talent just isn't working out over there. They'll probably keep Baron Davis, but I could see them shipping out Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson to get some new talent and flexibility in there. They'd probably want Deng and a pick, maybe the Knicks one. I'd do it for that much, although Deng is the toughest player to let go on the squad and I'd even rather see Hinrich go (and I think that might make more sense for GS).

Gordon or Duhon/J-Rich/Noch/our pick (Noah?)/Chandler

Team: Utah
Player to acquire: Andrei Kirilenko

He might be their best player, but the Jazz might begin thinking that it's time for a more classic SF to fit in with Boozer and Okur up front. Deng would be a perfect option there, as would Hinrich to take some pressure off of Deron and to be a gritty defender at the 2 guard spot, where they play Devin Brown a lot.

Possible trade: Deng + Hinrich for Kirilenko (Pax would never trade Hinrich, but this might be enough bait to make it happen)

Duhon/Gordon/Kirilenko/draft pick/Chandler
with Noch and another draft pick off the bench.

Option 2 with Utah
Player to acquire: Carlos Boozer

I know that Boozer isn't really popular, and he's coming off an injury season, but I watched the Utah game that was on tv the other day and he looks like a really solid PF. He does a lot of what K-Mart does, is really active on the floor, but has a lot more strength in the paint. Moving Kirilenko to the PF spot would make sense, since he's so long anyway, and acquiring a true SF to take that spot would be helpful. More importantly, the Jazz just don't want Boozer to take up cap space anymore, so it would probably take less to really get him. Nocioni is the type of player that they like over there in Utah.

Possible trade: Nocioni + Songaila + our pick for Boozer

Hinrich/Gordon/Deng/Boozer/Chandler
(and that's before we even use the Knicks pick for anyone).

·
Premium Member
6,650 Posts
Showtyme said:

I've brought this up before, but all that talent just isn't working out over there. They'll probably keep Baron Davis, but I could see them shipping out Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson to get some new talent and flexibility in there. They'd probably want Deng and a pick, maybe the Knicks one. I'd do it for that much, although Deng is the toughest player to let go on the squad and I'd even rather see Hinrich go (and I think that might make more sense for GS).

Dream on. I hate to burst your bubble with the Golden State chapter of your dream, but even Chris Mullin knows he's got a great talent at a decent price. The priority in Golden State will be to find players that have low-post offense and can provide good defense for a team lacking in defensive-minded players. In exchange, the Warriors will offer one of their small forwards (Pietrus or Dunleavy), power forwards (probably Murphy before Diogu), and if the offer is right, your choice of a point guard (Fisher...but I can see Baron even being offered out).

The one guy who WON'T be traded is Jason Richardson. Mark my words.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bruindre said:
Dream on. I hate to burst your bubble with the Golden State chapter of your dream, but even Chris Mullin knows he's got a great talent at a decent price. The priority in Golden State will be to find players that have low-post offense and can provide good defense for a team lacking in defensive-minded players. In exchange, the Warriors will offer one of their small forwards (Pietrus or Dunleavy), power forwards (probably Murphy before Diogu), and if the offer is right, your choice of a point guard (Fisher...but I can see Baron even being offered out).

The one guy who WON'T be traded is Jason Richardson. Mark my words.
I lean towards believing you, as you seem to be someone that follows the team more closely, but it's hard for me to buy that they're happy with their stars. They've had all sorts of talent there for so long, yet never a playoff berth. Every year, we hear in the offseason that "this is going to be the year". Jason Richardson has been there through it all.

Luol Deng is a great talent as well, a savvy defender with great length, and there's some good low-post talents in the draft this year. If we held out the Knicks pick, the #1 overall pick, and the Warriors have their own #9ish pick as well, along with Luol Deng, our best young talent, it wouldn't make them consider it? If they could get LaMarcus Aldridge AND Joakim Noah to bolster their frontcourt, along with Luol Deng, they wouldn't consider giving up their dynamic scorer?

·
Premium Member
6,650 Posts
Showtyme said:
I lean towards believing you, as you seem to be someone that follows the team more closely, but it's hard for me to buy that they're happy with their stars. They've had all sorts of talent there for so long, yet never a playoff berth. Every year, we hear in the offseason that "this is going to be the year". Jason Richardson has been there through it all.

Luol Deng is a great talent as well, a savvy defender with great length, and there's some good low-post talents in the draft this year. If we held out the Knicks pick, the #1 overall pick, and the Warriors have their own #9ish pick as well, along with Luol Deng, our best young talent, it wouldn't make them consider it? If they could get LaMarcus Aldridge AND Joakim Noah to bolster their frontcourt, along with Luol Deng, they wouldn't consider giving up their dynamic scorer?
The silver lining in the disaster that is the Golden State Warriors is Jason Richardson. This guy has morphed into one of the best players in the league. It's a shame he's on a poor team on the West Cost merely because he doesn't get nearly the publicity he ought to.

Considering the talent he is, and how cheaply we were able to sign him for (2 seasons ago he signed a long-term contract extention), I doubt he's leaving anytime soon...even for the likes of Deng and Aldridge/Noah.

To put it in perspective--Mullin was hesitant to trade Pietrus and/or Murphy to the Pacers for Artest. I know this isn't the best comparison, but do you think a guy who has Ike Diogu on his 'untouchable' list is going to be rid of J-Rich? Probably not.

Besides, that would be damn near the straw that breaks the back of what support I have left for that organization.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

I know that Boozer isn't really popular, and he's coming off an injury season, but I watched the Utah game that was on tv the other day and he looks like a really solid PF. He does a lot of what K-Mart does, is really active on the floor, but has a lot more strength in the paint. Moving Kirilenko to the PF spot would make sense, since he's so long anyway, and acquiring a true SF to take that spot would be helpful. More importantly, the Jazz just don't want Boozer to take up cap space anymore, so it would probably take less to really get him. Nocioni is the type of player that they like over there in Utah.

I believe this idea makes more sense, mainly because it's the one that allows us to keep our core and we wouldn't lose much. I've been mentioning this idea quite alot, but always get the "why would Paxson openly trade for the player that dissed his brother" remark everytime, which I just find silly. But i'm glad to see someone else considering it.
One thing which I like about the Boozer scenario is that unlike the Garnett or Pierce scenarios listed in the past, we are not limited to this trade as our only move. We would have ample of cap room left to work out another or sign a free agent. Another positive is that with the post scoring void filled, we could look at drafting the best player available with the Knicks pick, whether it be Noah, Aldridge, Thomas or even Roy (my personal favourite out of this draft). No Bowie like mistake on our end hopefully!
Oh and lastly, I'd modify that trade to Sweets, Songalia and our first rounder. They were really high on Sweets at the deadline and quite pissed off with Boozer, not sure how they stand now, but I don't want to part with Nocioni, not just yet.

Besides, that would be damn near the straw that breaks the back of what support I have left for that organization.
The contract extension to Dunleavy was it for me. Chandler is overpaid, but atleast I can keep myself in denial that good big men are always overpaid.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
bruindre said:
The silver lining in the disaster that is the Golden State Warriors is Jason Richardson. This guy has morphed into one of the best players in the league. It's a shame he's on a poor team on the West Cost merely because he doesn't get nearly the publicity he ought to.

Considering the talent he is, and how cheaply we were able to sign him for (2 seasons ago he signed a long-term contract extention), I doubt he's leaving anytime soon...even for the likes of Deng and Aldridge/Noah.

To put it in perspective--Mullin was hesitant to trade Pietrus and/or Murphy to the Pacers for Artest. I know this isn't the best comparison, but do you think a guy who has Ike Diogu on his 'untouchable' list is going to be rid of J-Rich? Probably not.

That's fine with me, because honestly I'd rather have Luol Deng than Richardson straight up! Not because he's better now, which he isn't. But Deng is rapidly morphing into a VERY complete player with very few holes in his game. Scoring-wise, I expect him to be putting up close to 20 per game within the next year or two. Frankly, I think it's amazing that he's putting up 14 per game at a good % after coming off that wrist injury. For a 20-year old wing player, it's hard to many guys better than Deng. When he reaches Richardson's age, I fully expect him to be a better player with a more complete repretoire.

·
Registered
31,974 Posts
bruindre said:

I happen to wear a Warriors jacket here in the winter. It was a gift, but it's also a really nifty jacket. Anyhow, I'm at a trade show the past week and a number of people come up to me and talk to me about the Warriors. The Warriors fans' consensus seems to me to be that the problem in Golden State is the coach, not the players, not the level of talent.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
If we ever be guaranteed a healthy Boozer, I'm all up for it. A healthy Booz is a 18+10 waiting to happen.

Edit: I forget how the draft occured. I think Cle picked right before us, and grabbed Booz. We had to grab the leftovers of the ACC, in Baxter. As a Duke and Bulls fan, I was so hoping Booz would have gone to us. For some reason, I always thought on draft day, the Lakers would have grabbed him to replaced Madsen/Samaki/Horace/AC Green haha.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A trade that makes sense to me is Gordon for Pietrus. Pietrus won't bail the team out in the fourth quarter with double digit point production like Ben but I think his overall skills would mean more total wins for the team.

I honestly believe drafting Gordon was a mistake for the Bulls. If he were the second coming of Alan Iverson I could see Pax taking a chance on him with the third overall pick. But Gordon does not have the skill level to ever come close to an Iverson, Baron Davis, or Gilbert Arenas. We should have taken Deng with that third pick and Iggy with the 7th pick we got from the Suns.

This is not to disparage Gordon really. He is a good player who has a role on a team who needs what he brings to the table. What the Bulls need is a tall, defensive minded two who could also contribute offensively. Kirk needs to go back to playing point guard. The question is whether Mullin would entertain trading Pietrus at this time. I suspect that he will not seek to move him, however, until he is about to become a free agent.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Showtyme said:
Pax has recently reiterated his position that the assets the Bulls currently have (draft picks and young talent) could be perfect for a team that decides to blow up and rebuild. He thinks that's the best shot they have at landing a real star. If such a rebuilding were to happen, I think Pax would pay very close attention.

Here's my list of teams that might possibly do that.

Team: Minnesota
Player to acquire: KG

Enough said here. Minny has missed the playoffs yet again, and while Ricky Davis gave them an injection of energy, they are still a terrible team. Garnett is probably one of the most frustrated guys in the league, and the time to trade him would be now, while he still has 3-4 years left in his prime. He's turning 30 this year, but in the last seven seasons, he's only missed 3 games. Durable enough, and still getting it done with 22 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.37 spg and 1.41 bpg. KG is still KG, even if the rest of the world is looking for the NEXT one.

Possible trade for him: Gordon, Noch, Chandler, and our own pick.

Duhon/Hinrich/Deng/Garnett/Aldridge? A more talented lineup than he's played with for a while.

Team: Utah
Player to acquire: Andrei Kirilenko

He might be their best player, but the Jazz might begin thinking that it's time for a more classic SF to fit in with Boozer and Okur up front. Deng would be a perfect option there, as would Hinrich to take some pressure off of Deron and to be a gritty defender at the 2 guard spot, where they play Devin Brown a lot.

Possible trade: Deng + Hinrich for Kirilenko (Pax would never trade Hinrich, but this might be enough bait to make it happen)

Duhon/Gordon/Kirilenko/draft pick/Chandler
with Noch and another draft pick off the bench.

Option 2 with Utah

Hinrich/Gordon/Deng/Boozer/Chandler
(and that's before we even use the Knicks pick for anyone).
I like the first and last trade ideas the best.I would not ,could not deal Deng however.He will be a complete player ,guys only 20!! Thats a Sophmore in college if he stayed.And I don't want to deal Noc eaither but if we got a good return for him what can I say?Noc however has been the man keeping our playoff hopes alive!! Why can't we draft and sign a Big man.Its not that complicated.Forget a trade save it for the following season.We will have a million options then.Free agents and draft picks( oden,03-04 contracts will be up,we will be very strong and some of those guys may want to play for us)Then you make the moves.Man they can make this team or break it,If they trade away everything I'm willing to say it would break. :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Indiana, by the way, is apparently ready to be blown up by Bird, who's not a happy bunny. If they do go that route, I'd like to enquire about Granger (no chance), Harrison (not likely) and Foster (might be possible purely because of his contract).

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
ShamBulls said:
Indiana, by the way, is apparently ready to be blown up by Bird, who's not a happy bunny. If they do go that route, I'd like to enquire about Granger (no chance), Harrison (not likely) and Foster (might be possible purely because of his contract).
I'd be happy to get Foster myself, assuming we don't have to do anything crazy to get him.

I wouldn't trade Gordon for Pietrus. Why not just keep Gordon and draft Ronny Brewer?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Golden State that a new coach wouldn't fix. The only real deal for them to do is to possibly deal Dunleavy so they can play Pietrus more. They could use some low post scoring of some sorts. But theoretically Diogu could do that. Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy, and a draft pick for KG would be an inspired move on their part though.

Fisher
J-Rich
Pietrus
Murphy
KG

Would be a title contender, you would imagine.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
charlietyra said:
A trade that makes sense to me is Gordon for Pietrus. Pietrus won't bail the team out in the fourth quarter with double digit point production like Ben but I think his overall skills would mean more total wins for the team.

I honestly believe drafting Gordon was a mistake for the Bulls. If he were the second coming of Alan Iverson I could see Pax taking a chance on him with the third overall pick. But Gordon does not have the skill level to ever come close to an Iverson, Baron Davis, or Gilbert Arenas. We should have taken Deng with that third pick and Iggy with the 7th pick we got from the Suns.

This is not to disparage Gordon really. He is a good player who has a role on a team who needs what he brings to the table. What the Bulls need is a tall, defensive minded two who could also contribute offensively. Kirk needs to go back to playing point guard. The question is whether Mullin would entertain trading Pietrus at this time. I suspect that he will not seek to move him, however, until he is about to become a free agent.
I like Pietrus, but no way would I deal Gordon for him straight up...

Unless we can acquire an assertive offensive presence in return, Ben's not somebody we ought to think about dealing.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
futuristxen said:
There's nothing wrong with Golden State that a new coach wouldn't fix. The only real deal for them to do is to possibly deal Dunleavy so they can play Pietrus more. They could use some low post scoring of some sorts. But theoretically Diogu could do that. Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy, and a draft pick for KG would be an inspired move on their part though.

Fisher
J-Rich
Pietrus
Murphy
KG

Would be a title contender, you would imagine.
Interesting idea. Not sure I'm in love with the idea of KG banging with centers on a nightly basis though and I like Fisher better as a point on a team with a 2 that handles a little better than Richardson.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Don't forget NY. And the team below:

As long as we've touched on the Sixers, sources say their locker room is more contaminated than the Knicks' - as if we can't tell merely by watching them play.

From what I'm told, most of the players don't think the coaches have anything worthwhile to say, from Maurice Cheeks to Henry Bibby to Moses Malone and right on down the bench and in back of it, too. Players are longing for the serene old days of Jim O'Brien.

I'm also informed the young guys could not care less what Chris Webber says to them about being professional, playing with a sense of urgency, whatever. Apparently, it's difficult to lead by example and vocally when you rarely practice yet take the second-most shots to Allen Iverson.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/64146.htm

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've actually thought about getting AI from Philly.

Team: 76ers
Player to be acquired: Allen Iverson

This team is always looking for turnover, but has remained constant with Iverson. A season like this, where he performs at his best, but the team may miss the playoffs... that sort of cements the idea that the Sixers just don't go as AI goes. He's playing the best basketball of his life and with even more talented players around him, they should EASILY be a playoff team. They're far more talented than Indiana at this point, even more talented than Washington.

Possible trade: Gordon, Nocioni, Sweetney, our pick for AI

AI
Hinrich
Deng
Al Harrington
Chandler

Tough to say no to that. Duhon and Songaila and LaMarcus off the bench. AI's the league's craziest scorer, and he does have the ability to make his team better.

In terms of jib, no one works harder come gametime but it's hard to forget the "practice?! we're talking about practice here..." and then think of Tim Thomas.

But this is one way to acquire a star player and make the team much better, very quickly. That lineup is good for a 3 seed, and with another young player and MLE signing and an improved Deng, that squad may be ready to contending for the championship in 2008. The problem is, that's the tail end of AI's window, probably.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.