Votes: 2 6.9%
  • other (Specify)

Votes: 4 13.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in knowing of all the teams speculated in the last few weeks, which rumored offers most interest you?

Please make it a deal that actually comes close to working, and mention some of the players you would like to come here for Sheed and possible others, and perhaps why?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I voted "other" for Indiana. Detroit second.

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK ....... what players interest you the most from those teams, Ed?

G

·
SAR of course! I would take him over Sheed! He is one of MANY that would compliment Zach in the front court. We could use Ratliff as a shot-blocker, and have Vlade off the bench. V is a good tool off the bench for a long time, if we can sign him for a long term low contract( 1.3 million+ 20% over the year by year thing). He (Stepania) will end up being our version of a center, based on what we gave Aaron Mckie. A very good role player, with a very good contract, who will do the dirty work and not beg for the cameras.

IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My criteria: I am picky. I want a deal that returns worthwhile talent or potential talent to Portland without ruining its opportunity in 2005, when it could have cap room to pursue Free Agents - and the prize of 2005 will be Tracy McGrady who may be dying to escape Orlando if things don't do a 180 there. Otherwise the return in talent must be high and proven. Anything less, and the Blazers are likely better off hanging on to Sheed until the summer and working a sign and trade or letting him walk.

Dallas: No to the Jamison and junk trades. No way to Wahad. What a joke. I would require Nash coming back, and even then it would depend on the other elements as Nash will be a FA and could bolt for Utah or Phoenix. Jamison is ok, but not a good match for Zach and has a horrible, long, MAX contract. I like Walker's game even less, but his contract ends soon, so I would rather have him come to Portland.

NY: They have nothing I want. Don't like Van Horn's game. next.

Detroit: Okur is an intriguing big man. Unfortunately Portland would likely lose him to Denver or Phoenix if they are foolish enough to trade for him. You know Phoenix is dreaming of their Okur/Amare fronline for the next 6 years. And Denver is salavating over an Okur/Nene wall. They will both offer more than the MLE that Portland can.

The only centerpiece to Portland I want is Darko. If he isn't coming back to PDX, then Detroit can kiss their shot at the NBA finals goodbye. Sheed is the only guy they can get in a trade now that can handle Kenyon Martin and Jermaine O'Neal. Watch them put Darko on them and see what happens. Their choice.

Cleveland: Too late for us to get Z. He is a solid Center, but has a big contract, is injury prone (bad feet), and too old to grow with a young team. I don't like Darius Miles. I advocated a Damon for Z trade last year (before Z's new wheels were battle tested and they drafted Dejan and LeBron.) Cleveland does have trading pieces, valuable picks, young talent. Would have to be a multi-team deal.

Chicago: I have interest in Jamal Crawford. Not so much Eddy Curry. He is a bust this season so far, and he is a wider version of Zach. They would get in each other's way. Tyson Chandler as a shotblocking rebounder might fit better.

Atlanta: Jason Terry has talent, but isn't the PG the Blazers are looking for. Not sure we should move in that direction. My opinion is if a team is going to have a star PG who is primarily a scorer, they better be a BIG TIME scorer - Payton, Marbury, Francis. Shareef Abdur Rahim is a good offensive player who has never lead a winning team. Makes you wonder. Since his contract is up soon, he might be ok as a stopgap, trading piece. But I don't see him as a good match with Zach. He doesn't have the range needed. He doesn't play defense either. Which of the two is supposed to guard the other team's best frontline scorer? Ole...Ole

Toronto: Vince Carter?? Ha ha. Are they supposed to send Chris Bosh?

Orlando: What I voted for. Let's see. The Blazers say they want cap in in 2005 for Free Agents. Who would that be? Tracy McGrady who can opt out that summer (and probably will). Why don't they trade him now and get some value coming back and start their rebuild that much sooner. It also gives Orland the chance to make a FA offer to Kobe this summer because of Sheed's expiring contract. Wouldn't that be funny? If the Blazers are going to go through all this torment they should use the opportunity to make a run for a star player. Occording to the papers Nash has made a play for McGrady. Keep trying Nash. Don't settle for Jamison!! Don't do it.

Phoenix: They made their deal. They are unlikely to trade a player with the rep of a Sheed. If they change their mind, Shawn Marion and Amare are the only players of interest.

Other: (Indiana) Al Harrington please. He would fit in very nicely at SF. I think he is ready to break out. He is just stuck behind a better player (Artest) The rest of the players involved needed to make the salaries match will make a big difference in the palatabilty of the deal.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
OK ....... what players interest you the most from those teams, Ed?
Masbee did a pretty remarkable job of covering the bases for me, as well. The main place I'd differ from Masbee a bit is that I'd still be interested in Z, especially if we could get Wagner to go with him.

I guess I like Curry more than he does in his post, too.

And I'd like to throw in the Darko semi-dream, too, from Detroit.

It's a tough group of players to acquire...

Ed O.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I voted Toronto. We trade Rasheed and Zach and Qyntel Woods (and/or draft picks) for Vince Carter and Chris Bosch and Lamond Murray (filler). I think Chris Bosch may turn out to be a better overall player than Zach. I guess Toronto would only do this if they were desparate to save money.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Of the players we've discussed recently, I don't think it's a big stretch to say McGrady is far and away the best player and potencial fit in Portland... but... I just can't see Orlando's motivation for shipping out their talented favorite son and don't see it happening. I also don't see much reasoning for Indi to deal for Wallace... maybe the poll is more asking who we'd like Portland to fleece (in which case I'd like them to deal for that big guy in San Antonio ;) ), but I'm factoring in the amount of people it takes to tango and don't see it happening with them either.

Next up is Darko of Detroit based on his supposive potencial, which is who I voted for. The recent NY PHX swap increased this possibility IMO as the Suns now look to be lining themselves up for a potencial run at Detroit's other quality young big man Okur. The reasoning that the Pistons might put together a package with Darko for Sheed is to choose a future with Okur and Sheed over one with just Darko. I wouldn't see such a deal happening until just before the deadline as Joe D would probably be exploring other ways of clearing the necessary room for Okur without giving up their other young prize. IMO adding Sheed could make Detroit a defensive monster and a legit contender for the title this and the next 3-4 years. I think they'd be right there with the top teams in the league.

We'll see what (if anything) shakes out...

STOMP

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
One of the reasons that I would like to see the Detroit ( Darko ) trade is that I think not only would it make the Blazers better in the LONG run, but I would love to root for Detroit against whatever west team goes to the finals. With Sheed, I think they would truely have the final piece to compete with the best of the West.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I think if we can get a nice young team together by 2005, we will have a better chance of getting T-MAC through free agency than trade....

Plus it will be much more costly to trade for him...

Also, we are not gonna get Darko...i guarantee it.

Players/Teams i like

Cleveland- Big Z and WAgner would be good value for Sheed

Indiana-I like Al HArrington alot, but i am not sure i would take on some of Indy's bid contracts.

Detroit-Any package where we get Okur, Prince or both of their 1st rounders would make me happy.

Boston-They are struggling, maby they would trade Mihm, Mills, Stewart, Banks and their 2 1st rounders for Sheed

Chicago-I like the idea of Curry or Crawford. I would only take on A.Davis's contract if we got Curry though

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
Also, we are not gonna get Darko...i guarantee it.

Detroit-Any package where we get Okur, Prince or both of their 1st rounders would make me happy.
Since Okur has only been in the league two years, Detroit won't have his "Bird" rights. As it stands right now, neither Portland or Detroit will have the cap space necessary to extend anything more then a MLE offer to him. Unless moves are made that clear adequate space prior to the trade deadline in Feb, both teams would be unable to match a greater then MLE contract he might sign with another franchise that does (like the Suns). It's the same situation that Golden State was in last season with Arenas. Portland has next to zero chance of clearing that much space, but Detroit realistically could.

One option to achieve this would be dealing for Wallace. With his 17 mil coming off their cap, they could match offers for Okur plus be in the best position (by far) to resign Sheed. Thats why I feel that Portland has a shot of prying Darko from Detroit (no offense to your guarantee), and probably has zero interest in Okur despite his obvious size, talent, and potencial.

STOMP

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If we can't get a superstar like T-MAC, I would like to have a multi team trade and try to work it so we only get the players we want and don't have to take any cap killer filler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts