Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The celtics getting walker back or the nets getting vince carter for scrubs? not just short term, but long term as well. who do u guys think got the better trade?nets or the celtics?

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Hard to tell right now. It really depends where the Nets and Celtics go this year and for years to come. Both teams basically got mini-superstars for nothing, especially the Nets, who had a plethora of picks they could afford to lose.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
The Nets will battle with Miami for the best record in the EC next year. With Richard healthy, Nenad with a year's NBA experiance, and a marginally talented PF added through either FA or the draft (or both), the Nets will cause devastating match-up problems, as well as being an improved team defensively.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
EHL said:
Hard to tell right now. It really depends where the Nets and Celtics go this year and for years to come. Both teams basically got mini-superstars for nothing, especially the Nets, who had a plethora of picks they could afford to lose.
18.9 PPG, 8.8 RPG, and 3.1 APG is a mini-superstar.

26.3 PPG, 6.1 RPG, and 4.7 APG is a superstar.

I realize that your intention there was not to compare them as players (atleast I don't think it was), but I just wanted to note that Vince Carter is a significantly better player than Antoine Walker.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I'm totally biased here as a Net fan and a 'Toine hater. Nevertheless, w/ those caveats, I say the Nets by far. The way I look at it is that a team w/ VC as the #2 guy could win a title, and I don't believe any team w/ 'Toine as the #1 or #2 guy could ever do so. And I don't mean this year, I mean w/ further steps taken, btw/.

I will say that 'Toine has given the Celtics alot of what they've needed both on the court and emotionally. Kudos to him and for the Celtics. Don't be surprised, though, if Danny lets him walk next year, depending on his contract demands.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Nets got the greatest return on value, by far, in my opinion. Since Vince Carter stopped tanking his season and got back to his high level of play, the Nets made out like bandits. It could have gone the other way, but what is, is. The Nets did the best.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
7M3 said:
18.9 PPG, 8.8 RPG, and 3.1 APG is a mini-superstar.

26.3 PPG, 6.1 RPG, and 4.7 APG is a superstar.

I realize that your intention there was not to compare them as players (atleast I don't think it was), but I just wanted to note that Vince Carter is a significantly better player than Antoine Walker.
Yeah, you're right, I wasn't so much debating that. Carter is indeed a better player, and playing like a superstar right now. However, it needs to be said that he has been wildly inconsistent and unhealthy for the last few years, so that's a legit concern if you're going to call him a superstar for the rest of his career. At his current level, no question he's a superstar.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
carter trade was much better.Like7M3said, next year the Nets are going to challenge for one of the top spots in the east. Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson is a great threesome and Krstic aint' too shabby either. Give them a PF and they'll be real good

·
Registered
153 Posts
Truth to be told, they both got equally good trades for the time being.

However, in my humble opinion I think Walker`s return in Boston bring more significane along. As far as the long term in concerned, I don`t think we can talk about it from this moment. Let us wait and see what the off-season brings.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Judging by the results, it shows that Walker's presence has changed the Celtics a lot. They've only lost once since they got him, the Vince Carter has helped New Jersey, but hasn't had the impact of the Walker trade. So I would say that the Celtics got more in their trade.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Another Walker trade!
Well... I admit, Mr. Watermelon has contributed well, thus the wins. But I'll state this right now, I think it helped the Nets more longterm... Market wise and talent wise.

The Celts would be able to make this deal brilliant if they will be able to surround #34 and #8 with a superior supporting cast. Otherwise, just a team that would eventually lay down during playoffs.

On the other hand, the trio of the Nets is not only fun to watch but dangerous and would create havoc on the perimeter for other teams. Plus, defending the fastbreak would be the main problems that the opposing teams would have to deal with. Krstic is developing, and who knows what the Nets will do in the offseason.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Well, frankly, Walker isn't the number two guy on the Celtics. They have six or seven guys that can score the rock. What they needed was a guy to provide them with toughness and leadership. For this year? Boston made out better. Hard to say for the future, a lot of it will depend on how far Boston goes in this playoffs. If they take a first round dive or get swept out of the second round then Walker will probably be allowed to leave. However if they take the Pistons to seven games, or God forbid, make the eastern conference finals, then the owners will likely disregard Ainge and sign him. As for the Nets they acquired a grumpy, injury prone player, so I'm not all that impressed by the deal. Carter's like Pierce with less toughness and more bad attitude.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Sith said:
The celtics getting walker back or the nets getting vince carter for scrubs? not just short term, but long term as well. who do u guys think got the better trade?nets or the celtics?
Well, I think the Nets trade was better regardless of whether Walker resigns. The Nets will be pretty damn good next year, and should be for the next couple of years. Their window isn't too long with Kidd in Jersey, and they did well getting a player like Vince to run with Kidd and RJ.

Who knows? If the Celts resign Walker (maybe Payton as well), they should be contenders next year also. The Celts have a lot of young talent and should only be better next year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Right now I think Walker has improved his team more than Carter did his.

But in the long run I can definitely see the Nets coming out with a great lineup with Kidd and Carter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts