Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that i've always wondered...

I've heard about Pete Maravich's offensive exploits...
Kareem and Walton's UCLA dominance...
Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson and few more...

What would you say were the players who dominated College? Why?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Because Bill Walton dominated in college at UCLA

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I think Austin Carr and Pistol Pete are up there for best players.

How would you define best players because college is different from the NBA because these guys are only there 3 (remember freshmen were ineligible for a long time) or 4 years.

If I had to say one player, it had to be Lew Alcindor. He came out of Power Memorial and was absolutely dominant. UCLA was basically untouchable with him and they actually outlawed the dunk to prevent him from dominating and they still won all those championships with him.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I didnt watch much college ball when I was younger, but somebody tell me why Christian Laettner is in such high regard. Also why do you think some of the greatest college players ever dont become some of the NBA greatest players. Like Danny Manning, Laettner, Carr..etc...

I know its a combination of things and a pretty broad question, but it just baffles me how it happens in a lot of cases. Some of the best college players turn out to be the worst pros..

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
I think Austin Carr and Pistol Pete are up there for best players.

How would you define best players because college is different from the NBA because these guys are only there 3 (remember freshmen were ineligible for a long time) or 4 years.

If I had to say one player, it had to be Lew Alcindor. He came out of Power Memorial and was absolutely dominant. UCLA was basically untouchable with him and they actually outlawed the dunk to prevent him from dominating and they still won all those championships with him.
What was that game ("The Game" before 78-79) where UCLA was defeated in the Final 4? Was it ElvinHaye's team?

Austin Carr? I'll look him up... :greatjob:

·
Registered
69 Posts
HallOfFamer, Laettner is considered a great college player because he had a great college career at Duke. He played in 4 straight Final Fours, and had 2 straight Nat'l Championships. It helped that he had great teammates like Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill, but Laettner was just a spectacular player. I think he is the NCAA Tournament's All-Time Leading Scorer.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>HallOfFamer</b>!
I didnt watch much college ball when I was younger, but somebody tell me why Christian Laettner is in such high regard. Also why do you think some of the greatest college players ever dont become some of the NBA greatest players. Like Danny Manning, Laettner, Carr..etc...

I know its a combination of things and a pretty broad question, but it just baffles me how it happens in a lot of cases. Some of the best college players turn out to be the worst pros..
Some say it's the "Duke's curse"... ;)

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Well I will answer Danny Manning and Laettner in word word. Injuries.

Laettner's achilles has never been the same and neither has he. Manning had that knee injury which basically finished him and turned him from a star to an also ran.

Honestly, I never saw them as being great in the pros (they sorta peaked early), but that doesn't mean they couldn't have been multiple time all-stars.

I have never really researched Austin Carr, but I'll have to do that one of these days.

Edit: When I say researched I mean his NBA career.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jaimedun34</b>!
HallOfFamer, Laettner is considered a great college player because he had a great college career at Duke. He played in 4 straight Final Fours, and had 2 straight Nat'l Championships. It helped that he had great teammates like Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill, but Laettner was just a spectacular player. I think he is the NCAA Tournament's All-Time Leading Scorer.
Though Ive never seen the full game, I think that Laettner turn around jumpshot over Jamal Mashburn???:confused: :confused: and Kentucky is one of the greatest sports moments Ive seen.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

What was that game ("The Game" before 78-79) where UCLA was defeated in the Final 4? Was it ElvinHaye's team?

Austin Carr? I'll look him up... :greatjob:
Austin Carr, played for Notre Dame.

As for "the Game" it was played in the Astrodome, but it was a regular season game between Houston and UCLA. The Big E, went for like over 50 in that game. I've seen the tape on ESPN classic, it was a phenomenal game.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts

Though Ive never seen the full game, I think that Laettner turn around jumpshot over Jamal Mashburn???:confused: :confused: and Kentucky is one of the greatest sports moments Ive seen.
It wasn't over Mashburn. Mashburn had already fouled out. It was over Gimel Martinez and John Pelphrey.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Spriggan</b>!

Oh, so that's why it says 20 next to Nevus' age.

Because he's 20 years old.

Gosh, how did you get to be so perceptive?
I'm overcome with emotion... my parents never told me when I was born, so I never knew my age. But now, thanks to this poster, I have learned the truth about myself. It's time for me to start a new life, now with the new knowledge of my place in the world.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts