Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
Joined
·
17,071 Posts
deion sanders should be on that list
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Roy Jones Jr. should be on the list. Bye Duncan and A-Rod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Where's Sweetness? Walter Payton, IMO, was hands down the most complete running back ever to play the game and one of the most complete players ever to play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!
Bo Jackson should be on this list
You read my mind. We're talking about an All-Star outfielder and dominant NFL running back. He could not be stopped in Tecmo Bowl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Decent start to the list, but it's pretty difficult to list just 25. This will obviously turn into a popularity contest, with some deserving athletes (Martina) ranked lower than they should be.

Some more oversights...Greg Lemond, Edwin Moses, George Brett and I'd also include Tony Hawk and Kelly Slater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the list is athletes who had their career begin and carry through the current year...


SO who are the top 25 athletes of the past 25 years?

1. MJ

I'm sure theres a consensus there. WHo is number 2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
MJ
Dominique
Jackson
Sanders
Carl Lewis
Ronaldo
Diego Maradona
Wayne Greztky


Are we talking athletes or production? Cause guys like Magic and Bird werent great athletes but they were great players. I could say isiah Rider for instance. Thats the question
 

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
Joined
·
36,839 Posts
Dale Earnhart doesn't belong on that list. No way.

Tell me all you want about the skill it takes to drive fast and how hot it gets in the car and the taxing effort of the driver. Auto racers are still only as good as the machine they drive and the mechanics who keep them running. If you rely on an engine to get you from here to there, you are not an athlete. I

t takes skill to operate a backhoe and those cabs get hot and the operators experience physical exertion as well. But the guy from Local 134 isn't an athlete either.

:twocents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Scuall</b>!
Decent start to the list, but it's pretty difficult to list just 25. This will obviously turn into a popularity contest, with some deserving athletes (Martina) ranked lower than they should be.

Some more oversights...Greg Lemond, Edwin Moses, George Brett and I'd also include Tony Hawk and Kelly Slater.
Greg Lemond? George Brett? Edwin Moses? WTF???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
When I met Bo Jackson as a young boy a number of years ago at a Royals game, I kept thinking he looked like He-Man. Seriously, if it weren't for his injuries, who knows what he would have accomplished...he was truly one of the most dominant athletes this planet has ever seen, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I think #2 is Bonds, #3 Sampras, #4 Tiger, #5 Shaq, #6 Lance.

If they have Lance on this list then it would only be right to include Miguel Indurain, who won the Tour as many times as Lance with a weaker team and in (possibly) more dominating fashion. I watched each year he won and guys were afraid of him - he was like a bicycling machine.

Bonds because he's one of the top three baseball players of all time. Ditto Sampras in tennis. Tiger isn't quite there yet in golf just because he still has a lot of career in front of him. Shaq isn't one of the top three of all time either, probably, even though he's so dominant.

The most important thing for me is which athletes are simply on a different plane from their competitors. All of these guys qualify. Especially Bonds and Sampras - both just kept doing the impossible over and over again (Bonds hitting a homer on the only hittable pitch he's thrown all night, Sampras hitting a 125 mph ace on his second serve down break point).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70,380 Posts
Is this about who are the 25 most successful athletes? Or just who are the best athletes.... cuz I didnt see Vick on there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>JarvisHayes24</b>!
Is this about who are the 25 most successful athletes? Or just who are the best athletes.... cuz I didnt see Vick on there
Tell him to check in when he has some accomplishments. :p

Speaking of which: Does Farve belong on this list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Parabull</b>!
I think #2 is Bonds, #3 Sampras, #4 Tiger, #5 Shaq, #6 Lance.

If they have Lance on this list then it would only be right to include Miguel Indurain, who won the Tour as many times as Lance with a weaker team and in (possibly) more dominating fashion. I watched each year he won and guys were afraid of him - he was like a bicycling machine.
I was going to list Indurain and Steffi Graf until I noticed the list was for American athletes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Of course, I had MJ at #1, heres how the rest of my top five unfolded, let me know whatcha think:

2: Wayne Gretzky
3: Barry Bonds
4: Larry Bird (prolly gonna get bashed for that one but I love the Bird man)
5: Shaq


I was also happy to see no Sammy Sosa option.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top