Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some high-profile coaches being added to the league recently, how would you rate the quality of the coaches from top to bottom in the A10?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dan Hurley probably can't be listed too high yet, but hopefully that changes a year from now with a season of A10 hoop under his belt.

Just glad there will be no Baron on the list now!

I'd say Smart, Stevens, Mooney, Martelli, Mack and (hopefully) Hurley are near the top.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
based on success

1. Stevens
2. Smart
3. Mack
4. Dumphy
5. Majerus
6. Martelli

Coaches on the rise
Hurley, Miller, Kellogg

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I don't know how Mooney isn't on that list, he took his squad to back-to-back top 25 finishes in 2010 and 2011 and a Sweet Sixteen in 2011.

If you're going to mention Hurley, Miller, and Kellogg, he comes in before all them right now IMO.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
my on the rise was bottom half guys that could easily move up not necessarily 7,8 and 9. Mooney has done well but I don't have him in my top 6 right now.

Stevens - back to back national runner up
Smart - Final 4 plus other teams in the tourney
Mack - X deep in tourney numerous times
Dumphy - many championships and tourney teams
Majerus - struggled some at SLU but always a good coach
Martelli - lots of long term success in the A10

Mooney would probably be 7 on my list but at the same time I don't get to see every game played or know nearly enough about all the coaches (probably couldn't name them all off the top of my head really)

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Fair enough. He has been hot and cold and a lot of his success was on the backs of Kevin Anderson and Justin Harper. I think he's a great coach and probably overshadowed by some of the other 'names' in the A-10 since he hasn't strung together the consistency some of the others have.

I'm interested to see how Hurley does at URI. He's a great recruiter but I don't know much about his X's and O's ability. He'll have plenty of horses in the stable though, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hurley could be interesting but he had success at Wagner, was successful in HS and his father is a legendary HS coach. You could also look at he was a good player at Seton Hall and Bobby is one of the best college players of all time and should know some of Coach K's philosophy.

However, only time will tell how he will be

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Yeah I'm not so sure that being a great player or having a good coach as a dad automatically makes you a good coach. Isiah Thomas is a pretty good example of that.

That doesn't mean he won't be, but the jury is definitely out on Hurley as far as in-game coaching.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
All those mentioned so far in this thread may indeed rate ahead of him, but sooner or later I'd like to see Mark Schmidt get a little love. If I recall, every previous edition of this thread over the past few years has had him rated, generally, in the bottom 3 or 4 coaches in the league. Yes, he did have a great player the last 4 years in The Professor. But, he seems to get little credit for recruiting or developing that player. He has brought the Bonnies back from the abyss, and has increased their conference win total every year since his first in Olean. And, after losing 2 of his top 7 rotation players to injury last year early in the season (one of them in the 3rd minute), he still managed to get Bona to the pre-season predicted 4 seed, and made the run to the NCAA tourney.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
yeah, I hope he is successful, the URI fan base is very excited. Most people are being realistic and expecting a down year but also hope to see a sign of improvement

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
All those mentioned so far in this thread may indeed rate ahead of him, but sooner or later I'd like to see Mark Schmidt get a little love. If I recall, every previous edition of this thread over the past few years has had him rated, generally, in the bottom 3 or 4 coaches in the league. Yes, he did have a great player the last 4 years in The Professor. But, he seems to get no credit for recruiting or developing that player. He has brought the Bonnies back from the abyss, and has increased their conference win total every year since his first in Olean. And, after losing 2 of his top 7 rotation players to injury last year early in the season (one of them in the 3rd minute), he still managed to get Bona to the pre-season predicted 4 seed, and made the run to the NCAA tourney.
I would put Schmidt in the guys on the rise catagory, he's definitely not in the bottom but probably around the middle

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
If you actually buy into the mantra that's is just soooooo hard to recruit and succeed in Olean, then Schmidt should be in the damn top five. He certainly isn't a top five coach in the A-10 right now, but I always wonder what it will take for that talk from the media to end. There are all sorts of successful programs in rural areas that don't have this label attached constantly. SBU has its challenges just like most schools. With that said, I'd say my top five are as follows:

Stevens
Dunphy
Smart
Majerus
Mooney

Martell is right there, too. Mack has had great success, but he's almost punished by X's machine-like sustainability. Now that he's working with most of his own guys, we'll see where he stands in comparison to these top coaches.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Fair enough. He has been hot and cold and a lot of his success was on the backs of Kevin Anderson and Justin Harper. I think he's a great coach and probably overshadowed by some of the other 'names' in the A-10 since he hasn't strung together the consistency some of the others have.
I'll point out two things regarding KA and Harper:

1. While KA was clearly a special player as a freshman, Mooney really had to modify the "Princeton Offense" into the "Richmond Offense" to take full advantage of what KA could do off the dribble. The development of the "Richmond Offense" has been quite a success story.

2. Harper's college career arc is a demonstration of Mooney's ability (and his assistants' abilities) to develop players. Other examples that come to mind are: Ryan Butler, David Gonzalvez, and Kevin Smith.

So yes a lot of his success was provided by KA and Harper, but Mooney had a big role in making that happen.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
No doubt. I wasn't using it as a negative against Mooney. He's a great coach. I was just making the observation that outside of that class of players, Mooney hasn't had significant national success which is why he's probably being forgotten by some here. I personally think he's right up there with the other guys.

It's so easy to forget that schools like Boston College wanted hire him away when Richmond was rolling in 2010 and 2011. Those were some very good Richmond teams.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I like Shaka. Anybody who is magna cum laude and is named after a warrior has got to be cool.

It's interesting that he and Mack started at the same time as head coaches.
Shaka has a CBI, second round and final four in 3 years.
Mack has 2 sweet 16's and a first round.

Now they have mostly their own guys and are in the same league.
Should be a fun year.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Any mention of Hurley here is extremely premature. His team did not even win he NEC. Former Fordham coach Derek Whittenburg did and he did not exactly light the world on fire. Speaking to the present, another new A10 coach also won the NEC this past season and finished ahead of Hurley's Wagner, Jim Ferry. Wagner also lost in the first round of the NEC tournament to the #7 seed. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be good, but it's way too early for him to even get a mention in this thread.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts