Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about how we should trade Hinrich for a big burly shooting guard, now I don't think that's really necessary, but let's go with that for a second.

Name some of these guys who could be had for Hinrich in a trade. Keep in mind, they would have to defend the shooting guard position better than Hinrich does (considerably better even), since the whole purpose of the trade is to make our defense on shooting guards better (even though we have defended that position better than any other position this year).

Name some guys.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
I keep hearing about how we should trade Hinrich for a big burly shooting guard, now I don't think that's really necessary, but let's go with that for a second.

Name some of these guys who could be had for Hinrich in a trade. Keep in mind, they would have to defend the shooting guard position better than Hinrich does (considerably better even), since the whole purpose of the trade is to make our defense on shooting guards better (even though we have defended that position better than any other position this year).

Name some guys.
In addition to being a better defender than Hinrich, this big guard had better be a legitimate scoring threat or Gordon will continue to be doubled on the perimeter.

Of our current crop of perimeter players, who has the ability to draw defenses away from Gordon...Pargo? Duhon? Piatkowski? Say what you will about Hinrich, but he's the only guard we have who's capable of keeping perimeter defenses honest so Gordon can get a few clear looks at the rim.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Pietrus baby.
He's like a quicker french version of Ron Artest. And maybe not as insane.

Tony Allen.

Maggette.
J-Rich.
Diaw.

Mainly Pietrus though. And how.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kismet said:
In addition to being a better defender than Hinrich, this big guard had better be a legitimate scoring threat or Gordon will continue to be doubled on the perimeter.
Yep, and should also be able to handle the ball a lot, since Duhon is the only guy on our roster currently who I feel comfortable playing 30 minutes per game. I don't feel comfortable making Jannero Pargo a rotation player.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
futuristxen said:
Pietrus baby.

Tony Allen.

Maggette.
J-Rich.
Diaw.

Could be... and maybe Allen too. How are we going to get Maggette, Jrich? Jrich, no D. Diaw has no offense, no?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I've read the name Larry Hughes thrown around, allegedly he is a better defender than Kirk or at least as good.

http://82games.com/0405WAS5.HTM

http://82games.com/0405CHI5.HTM

Washington (Hughes) allows SG to shoot an eFG% of 49.3%.
Chicago (Hinrich) allows SG to shoot an eFG% of 42.9%.

It's not even close, but I guess since Hughes is 6'5" he's better for the job than Hinrich.

:rotf:

It's not even close.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mickael Pietrus can't shoot, can't handle the ball, and plays under 20 minutes per game. We have to replace a guy who plays 35+ minutes per game.

Tony Allen is only 6'4, that's Hinrich's height, we're looking to get a taller guard apparently.

Maggette and Richardson are average defenders.

Boris Diaw plays less than 20 minutes for the Atlanta Hawks, and he can't shoot or handle the ball either.

We need a guy who is 6'6 and above, since that would eliminate us from being a small backcourt. A guy who can handle the ball a lot, a guy who can shoot and keep defenses true, and a guy who can play atleast 25-30 minutes per contest.

Keep the names coming.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Gordon/Duhon
Pietrus/Pargo
Deng/Nocioni
Davis/Chandler/Oberto
Curry

Gordon scores. Deng, Pietrus and Noce beat fools down.

You do a three team deal.

Hinrich to Toronto. Pietrus to Chicago. Aaron Williams expiring contract to Golden State.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
futuristxen said:
Gordon/Duhon
Pietrus/Pargo
Deng/Nocioni
Davis/Chandler/Oberto
Curry

Gordon scores. Deng, Pietrus and Noce beat fools down.

You do a three team deal.

Hinrich to Toronto. Pietrus to Chicago. Aaron Williams expiring contract to Golden State.
And our PG is ?????????

Please don't say Ben, he has certainly shown this season that he is nowhere close to being a PG in the NBA.

I know, details, scheschmails.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Mickael Pietrus can't shoot, can't handle the ball, and plays under 20 minutes per game. We have to replace a guy who plays 35+ minutes per game.
Pietrus shoots better than Hinrich lol. The only reason he plays less than 20 minutes per game is because J-Rich has been a monster this year. When Pietrus has played he has looked damned impressive. Ball-handling...who cares. He's our SG. Duhon handles the ball fine.

Some more names:
Marquis Daniels
Josh Howard

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Yep, and should also be able to handle the ball a lot, since Duhon is the only guy on our roster currently who I feel comfortable playing 30 minutes per game. I don't feel comfortable making Jannero Pargo a rotation player.
Bingo. Who's comfortable having Duhon play the point for 32+ mpg for 82 games with Pargo backing him up? Any Kirk trade needs to bring us back a big, scoring, defensive combo guard that can effectively run the point in return.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
bullsville said:
And our PG is ?????????

Please don't say Ben, he has certainly shown this season that he is nowhere close to being a PG in the NBA.

I know, details, scheschmails.

If Ben can't play PG then he can't start in the NBA. Pargo and Duhon can handle point guard duties fine. But if it really bothers you, sign Dan Dickau to the MLE this summer.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
futuristxen said:
Pietrus baby.

Tony Allen.

Maggette.
J-Rich.
Diaw.

Wow! With the exception of Tony Allen, the rest of your list is comprised of losers. No doubt they're all talented...but Pietrus, Maggette, Richardson and Diaw have spent their entire pro careers playing for big time losing teams. No way I give up Hinrich for any of them until they can prove they can perform under pressure. Allen's proving it, but the rest of them are just show horses so far.

Funny how playing a key role for a winning basketball team sheds a whole new light on the player evaluation process.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
bullsville said:
I've read the name Larry Hughes thrown around, allegedly he is a better defender than Kirk or at least as good.

http://82games.com/0405WAS5.HTM

http://82games.com/0405CHI5.HTM

Washington (Hughes) allows SG to shoot an eFG% of 49.3%.
Chicago (Hinrich) allows SG to shoot an eFG% of 42.9%.

It's not even close, but I guess since Hughes is 6'5" he's better for the job than Hinrich.

:rotf:

It's not even close.
Team defense plays a huge role in those numbers, as does Washington's pace on offense. Totally different situation.

The stats also show that Hughes outproduces his counterpart by 4.1 PER. Hinrich only does by 2.2. Hughes also has a positive +/-. 7.2 versus -1.1. Hughes has a PER of about 21. Hinrich of 15.

It's not even close.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
I don't know about trading Kirk. Ben's lack of overall skill outside of scoring is not very pleasing. It kind of cripples the idea of trading Kirk. Dwyane Wade is my obvious choice, I wanted him on draft day at all costs, and the cost was D-Marshall and Paxson wouldn't take it for whatever reason. Andre Iguodala is a guy that fits the mold. Maybe trade Ben for him. Kirk-Iggy-Deng-Chandler that is 1-4 of our future that are great defensive players, and that at the 5 Curry is improving on defense. Ben might be the one that we end up trading, but Pax knew what he was getting into when he drafted Ben since the reason he drafted him was his great offense.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
futuristxen said:
If Ben can't play PG then he can't start in the NBA. Pargo and Duhon can handle point guard duties fine. But if it really bothers you, sign Dan Dickau to the MLE this summer.
You are the one who has him listed as a starter, not me. Pargo?

Kirk has proven to be an elite SG defender in the NBA, so we are going to trade him so Pargo can play? I don't think so.

And if you can't see that Ben is nowhere near being a PG yet.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts