Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering all the threads in the Main forum regarding the greatest all-time players (The Draft competition, the Defensive Player, the GOAT), i thought it would be interesting to see who you guys have as the greatest Laker players (by position) till now.

I you find this idea interesting, please post who you got (and please try to name at least 4 players by position).

Example (and a mere example):

Point guard:

1- Magic Johnson;
2- Jerry west;
3- Gail Goodrich;
4- Norm Nixon;
5- Nick Van Excel.

Shooting Guard:

1- Kobe Bryant;
2- Michael Cooper;
3- Byron Scott;
4- Eddie Jones;
5- ---.

Small Forward:

1- James Worthy;
2- Jamaal Wilkes;
3- Vern Mikkelsen;
4- Rick Fox;
5- ------.

Power Forward:

1- Elgin Baylor;
2- Pau Gasol;
3- AC Green;
4- Rudy Larusso;
5- Jim Pollard.

Center:

1- Kareem;
2- Shaq;
3- Wilt;
4- Mikan;
5- Divac.

what say thee?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Good thread. It's hard to label early guys like West, Baylor, Pollard and Mikelsen by position. For instance, Goodrich and West started together but you have both as point guards?

Point guard:

1- Magic Johnson
2- Gail Goodrich
3- Nick Van Exel
4- Norm Nixon

(only players at the position to make all-star games at this position as Lakers I believe)

Shooting Guard:

1- Kobe Bryant
2- Jerry West
3- Byron Scott
4- Michael Cooper
5- Eddie Jones

EJ made the ASG twice and Coop and Byron never did, but they were clearly overshadowed. Also gave them bonuses for length of tenure.

Small Forward:

1- James Worthy
2- Jamaal Wilkes
3- Vern Mikkelsen
4- Cedric Ceballos

Hard to put a guy that barely played two seasons here on the list but he was an all-star. Weakest position.

Power Forward:

1- Elgin Baylor
2- Pau Gasol
3- Jim Pollard
4- AC Green
5- Happy Hairston

Surprisingly deep position considering the Lakers leading scorer for the decade of the 90s (Elden) and Big Shot Bob were both left off.

Center:

1- Kareem
2- Shaq
3- Mikan
4- Wilt
5- Bynum

Mikan lead the Lakers to 5 rings... you can't put Wilt and his one ring as the second banana over him. I put Drew over Vlade. Both played here 7 years. Drew edges Vlade in rings and ASGs. However Vlade was arguably the best Laker in 1993 and was in 1994.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thread. It's hard to label early guys like West, Baylor, Pollard and Mikelsen by position. For instance, Goodrich and West started together but you have both as point guards?
That was just an example, and out of the top of my head.
Although it appears goodrich was more of a SG than PG.

Considering the Laker players who have had their number retired (Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich,
Earvin "Magic" Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal (soon), James Worthy, Jerry West, Jamaal Wilkes, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelsen, Slater Martin, Clyde Lovellette, George Mikan) and some more thought into this, i'll probably go:

Point guard:

1- Magic Johnson;
2- Jerry West;
3- Derek Fisher;
4- Slater Martin (4 championships);
5- Nick Van Exel

Shooting Guard:

1- Kobe Bryant
2- Byron Scott
3- Michael Cooper
4- Norm Nixon;
5- Gail Goodrich.

Small Forward:

1- James Worthy;
2- Jamaal Wilkes;
3- Happy Hairstom;
4- Rick Fox (3 rings and the greatest trash-talk line)
4- ???

Power Forward:

1- Elgin Baylor;
2- Pau Gasol;
3- Jim Pollard;
4- AC Green;
5- Vern Mikkelsen

Center:

1- Kareem;
2- Shaq;
3- Mikan;
4- Wilt;