Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which NBA players do you think can defend Dirk the best? Feel free to say whoever you want, and you can list many more than one (if you can find them)

Dirks 5 lowest outings, and his defender
11 points, against Drew Gooden
11 points, against Kenyon Martin (was injured, only played 18 minutes)
13 points, against Clifford Robinson? (or Troy Murphy)
15 points, against Shareef Abdur Rahim?
15 points, against Antoine Walker? (or Al Harrington)

Personally, I think the best Dirk defenders are
- Shawn Marion
- Rasheed Wallace
- Kenyon Martin
- Robert Horry (tiny stints)

Your thougts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theo! said:
I believe it was Mr. Sore Ankle -- not sure though :)
Oops, this defender sure did a great job of defending Dirk Nowitzki in game 5: 31 points (48% FG), 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. Gosh, I wish we had this defender marking other power forwards here :biggrin:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Theo! said:
Which NBA players do you think can defend Dirk the best? Feel free to say whoever you want, and you can list many more than one (if you can find them)

- Shawn Marion
- Rasheed Wallace
- Kenyon Martin

Your thougts
Your list is Perfect,
When Dirk comes up against one of these defenders all he needs to do is drive at them or use his pump fake get them in the air and draw the foul. Because he hits ~85% of his free throws and it gets his defender in foul trouble this is a great tactic to use.
Of course most coaches wont allow it to happen by switching defenders (Dirk Wins) or pulling them from the game (Dirk Wins). All they can do is ease off, alowing Dirk to do what he wants.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As the list points out, Dirk struggles against long and athletic PF and/or SF. That's because they can stay with him on his drives to the hoop, and they are long enough to bother his shot. This is where if Dirk had a good/great passing game and a more aggressive post game, he could help take the pressure off him self. That's something I hope he develops.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Shawn marion gives Dirk some trouble but that block wasnt a stuff Dirk was fouled.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Theo! said:

- Shawn Marion
- Rasheed Wallace
- Kenyon Martin

Your thougts
Would have been Harrington, who is a lock down defender. AWalk is a matador.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only player that I think is capable of stopping Dirk on consistant basis is Shawn Marion. His defense is exceptional and his quickness makes it to where he can bother Dirk. But as far as the playoffs go I think nobody can shut down Dirk. He takes his game to another level and always gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Nobody stops Dirk but Shawn Marion does the best job. He is so quick that Dirk can't really get by him and Marion jumps so high and so quickly that he can make shooting jump shots more difficult.

Rasheed Wallace is not bad. And also believe it or not Tyson Chandler does a pretty good job against Dirk. In the first game against Chicago Dirk went 4-18 and the second game Dirk went 8-24. I think Chandler is an excellent defender.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Dirk Nowitzki can not be stopped one on one, but I think the player that does it best is Rasheed Wallace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts