Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject is pretty self-explanitory, so I'll go straight into my decision. I think Kevin Garnett is the league's current best clucth player. The guy makes so many points in the 4th quarter that it is unreal, and he rarely ever misses his late game post-up turn-arounds.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Silent But Deadly</b>!
The subject is pretty self-explanitory, so I'll go straight into my decision. I think Kevin Garnett is the league's current best clucth player. The guy makes so many points in the 4th quarter that it is unreal, and he rarely ever misses his late game post-up turn-arounds.
For Minnesota, I would actually consider Cassell more clutch than Garnett.

The most clutch player this season might actually be Michael Redd. Last year i'd say either Kobe or Pierce, but neither has shown much this year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Cassell and Billups were the first ones that came to mind for me..

Reggie Miller (still) and Michael Redd as well..

I don't like the crunch time stat, because they give so many points for a win.. I mean they give 4 points for a win, and usually the crunch time leader for the night has around 10..

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Pierce is Mr. Fourth Quarter

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Cassell and Billups were the first ones that came to mind for me..

Reggie Miller (still) and Michael Redd as well..

I don't like the crunch time stat, because they give so many points for a win.. I mean they give 4 points for a win, and usually the crunch time leader for the night has around 10..
The wins tend to balance over the course of a season.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
Never thought of Ben Wallace as being "clutch" ...
He's considered clutch because of the game-winning shots he turns away. He's been unreal in this regard over the past couple of weeks.

I'm a little biased in this situation, since I get to watch him so often but once Chauncey Billups did what he did against the Spurs (combined with other big 4th quarters), I consider him the most clutch player in the league. It was amazing the show he put on.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Tmacs impressed me most this season. Especially earlier in the season when he'd score close to 10 minutes in a matter of a minute or two just to keep his team in it.

Pierce, Kobe, Cassell, KG, Bibby, Bobby Jackson all come to mind.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Never thought of Ben Wallace as being "clutch" ...
In the last week and a half alone he has had huge blocks Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Vince Carter, Lamar Odom, and Lebron James in the last 2 minutes of games. The blocks on Duncan, Carter, and Odom essentially won the games, the block on Garnett set up Chauncey's now notorious play, and the block on Lebron would have sent the game into overtime but Boozer got a lucky rebound.

It's ridiculous how many blocks and rebounds Ben gets in the last two minutes of games, which is where those crunch time stats are coming from for him.

Over the last 2 years nobody has hit more game winning shots than Chauncey Billups, in fact nobody has even come close. And like jvanbusk said, after that game against SA a week ago where he scored like 13 points in the last 3 minutes of the game there is little doubt in my mind whose hands I want the ball in late in a game.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: Re: Who do you think the league's current best clutch player is?

For Minnesota, I would actually consider Cassell more clutch than Garnett.

The most clutch player this season might actually be Michael Redd. Last year i'd say either Kobe or Pierce, but neither has shown much this year.
Cassell is close, but not as good as KG. The reason he makes more shots sometimes at the end of games is because he's the PG, and he just brings the ball up the court, might get a pick or something, then makes a shot. KG's just as good, but he hasn't had to take all the shots this year because Cassell can actually score at the end of games too, KG hasn't had another guy to do that before. I'd definately say KG though, he can hit it from anywhere on the court, from down low in the post where he usually is, to even out to the 3-point line(he hit 2 in the Sacramento game in the last 30 seconds when we were down by 6 to send it into OT). And he can shut just about anybody down when he really wants to, and at the end of games he really wants to, and does shut guys down. He's the best player in the league when he's playing with everything he has on that play, or in the last few minutes or whatever. Alot of people excel at this time, but none as much as KG.

·
Premium Member
100,070 Posts
When it comes down to it, I'd still want Reggie with the ball in his hands if my team needs a big shot. Ray Allen definitely comes to mind, he's been unreal in the Crunch this season. Absolutely unbelievable some of the things he's done in the 4th quarter and Overtime of games.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
there's noone i'd rather have on the court in the 4th than kobe, although he's obviously not the same player this year. and it's because beyond his scoring, he's able to contribute in any area, and has the physical ability beyond most of the other clutch performers. garnett & duncan are also great guys to have on your squad, although with duncan it's more the all-around game than just the big shots down the stretch. garnett seems to be better equipped to score down the stretch than ever before, although that is in part due to who he's surrounded by now.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Maybe Im jsut a battered knicks fan who still has nightmires about what reggie did to us, but there is something about the ball being in Reggies hand with the clock running down that scares me, even to this day. I gotta give the man his prop, he is clutch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Nick Van Exel has to be the most clutch player I've seen recently. He has hit so many clutch shots that I don't know how anybody couldn't even mention his name.
Hes an awesome clutch player if he was given a chance. Just give him the ball 10 secs left in the clock of the 4th quarter and he'll hit it.

Come back to Texas Nick!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.