Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say Sam is fired and the Raptors need a new coach, who would you like to see them get? Only available candidates please, no Jerry Sloan, or Phil Jackson, they have jobs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Paul Silas out of the available coaches at this moment, or even Hubie Brown, if hes up to another coaching job which im unsure of

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Eric Musselman get's my vote NO MORE FIRST TIMERS!

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/eric_musselman/?nav=page in 2002 he lead a pathetic injury riddled GS team to a 38-44 record in one of the toughest pacific conferences of all time. (BTW raps have won 33 the last 2 seasons).

- he was fired by Chris "the brain" Mullin around the same time as Chris signed Adonal Foyle to that 6 yr 50 Mill deal.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
hinther said:
Paul Silas out of the available coaches at this moment, or even Hubie Brown, if hes up to another coaching job which im unsure of
Of course but Hubie has one leg in the grave he can't coach any more and Silas puts in slightly less work than <b>Lenny "whens the coffee break" wilkens</b>.

Not a first time coach but also not a guy who has been fired 3 times in 2 yrs.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
i forgot about eric muscle... i thought he did a really good job with the young GSW back then... perfect fit... ;)

PS - isnt eric an assistant on some team...?

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Would P.J. Carlesimo leave San Antonio? I think Lucky or butters mentioned him a week ago or so and I'm getting to like the idea.

I'm not down on Mitchell, but I'm not in his corner right now, either. I think he will have a tough time lasting the season if things keep going the way they are going.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
right now it doesn't really matter who coaches this team. A better coach might coax a few more wins out of this bunch at the end of the year, but we're talking about 24-58 instead of say, 16-66 the way it currently looks

Sam Mitchell has done little this year to put any confidence in him as the future coach of the Raps, but he's young, just like our team and will make many mistakes along the way, and should be given time to at least be evaluated.

having said that, I think we need an experienced coach cause I am getting sick of this learning on the job crap. Charlz threw out the name Mussleman, which would be a good candidate, P.J would be nice, how about Chuck Daily, that would be fun!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
If we get Rudy Gay in next year's draft might as well ask Calhoun :D

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
TRON said:
right now it doesn't really matter who coaches this team. A better coach might coax a few more wins out of this bunch at the end of the year, but we're talking about 24-58 instead of say, 16-66 the way it currently looks
you are right and though I posted that they should FIRE SAM NOW - I think it would more accurate to say start finding a new coach now.

When the rest of the league and the players are aware beyond the shaddow of a doubt that Sam is not commited enough to defense to be an effective coach in this league then you fire him so there is no looking back and no second guessing - people view it as something that had to be done.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The_Notic said:
P.J... Because im a firm beleiver that we REALLY need an X and O's guy and Sam is really a Motivational kind of guy.....
Who else here can picture Jalen strangling PJ.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Who do YOU like as our next coach?

Now let me start off by saying I don't think Mitchell should be fired this year. He is going through growing pains with the team. He has a lot of room for improvement, but you get what you expected out of a first time head coach with not much prior experience.

If our team starts 1-15, or 1-16.. It is very likely Mitchell will get the boot. Thats the NBA. The coach takes all the heat when the team loses. Hopefully MLSE proves me wrong, and keeps Mitchell on board during these rocky times.

So IF our team in not happy with Mitchell and fires him this year, who would you like to see takeover? It is likely that Jim Todd will be our interim head coach for the rest of the year. So who would you want for next year then?

A couple names to throw out there that I like:
Eric Mussleman
Terry Porter
PJ Carlesimo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts