Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking gunner PGs who could make a successful full-time switch to the (small) 2-spot.

So we've got Jason Terry. ermmmm yeah, maybe, I guess.
Eddie House? erg.

Since he's the 'overrated' topic as of late, I'm gonna throw Franchise name in there just to piss y'all off. I think he could do it..

I think the Grizz would still be here if it was Bibby + Francis in the backcourt... ah .. :love: ticket sales

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Juan Dixon could very well be an Iverson Jr. All out hustle, a nose for steals (#2 in the league per 48 minutes), streaky shooting, fearless in driving to the hoop, very pesky defender, able to put up loads of points quickly when hot, and below 40% shooting ;) Actually, compare the two's numbers per 48:

Dixon: 23.8 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.7 APG, 3.0 SPG, 76.1 FT%, 39.1 FG%, 28.2 3P%, 3.1 TO
Iverson: 30.4 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 6.7 APG, 2.8 SPG, 74.8 FT%, 39.2 FG%, 30.0 3P%, 5.1 TO

Okay, not exactly the same, but look how close those shooting percentages are! I know this isn't exactly the point of the thread, since Dixon pretty much already plays entirely at SG, but he definitely fits the small gunner role.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Allen Iverson types:

Steve Francis
Jason Terry
Damon Stoudamire

They're all undersized gunners who aren't great distributors for point guards (compared to other players, they're very good, obviously).

None of them is as talented as AI, but I think all of them would be better off as shooting guards, if they can handle it from a size point of view.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
There's no player in the NBA, that reminds me more of AI than Dwyane Wade. Only difference is Wade seems to have a better shot selection. And it's simply fun watching the guy play the game, he's going to be real special, especially if he can stay healthy.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
No one. The reason Iverson works as well as it does has to do with his heart and ability to compete no matter what his size. I don't see anyone with his heart. Sure there will always be undersized 2's...that's nothing new to the NBA. But I don't see anyone currently who can be the next Iverson.

As far as guys who could make their own name, Wagner certainly comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Just about 90 percent of the basketball playing population. Guys everywhere are as talented as anybody in the leage but only stand at about 5-11. If these guys were 6-6 6-7 then the league would be a much better place but they are not and they don't get drafted because of it. The only thing that sperates the Iversons from the YMCA legends is that Iverson can take a beating equivalent to that of the six and a half foot monsters and don't get worn down when playing in such a rigorous league.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Wagner. I remember thinking when he came into the league that hes the next Iverson. Before he got hurt he was stringing together 20+ games with ease. Not sure if he will ever be able to pull it together, but I sure thought he was going to be the next AI.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PhillyPhanatic</b>!
There's no player in the NBA, that reminds me more of AI than Dwyane Wade. Only difference is Wade seems to have a better shot selection. And it's simply fun watching the guy play the game, he's going to be real special, especially if he can stay healthy.
:yes: very true. Wade i think is a better comparison than Wanger. Francis also is a good comparison

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah, I remember them comparing Wagner and Iverson when the Cavs selected D-Wag in 2002.

Wade reminds me of AI too, the way he stays active on every possession. If Wade improves his shot(which comes with time), then I could see him being a bigger/more physical AI type guy.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
No one. The reason Iverson works as well as it does has to do with his heart and ability to compete no matter what his size. I don't see anyone with his heart. Sure there will always be undersized 2's...that's nothing new to the NBA. But I don't see anyone currently who can be the next Iverson.

As far as guys who could make their own name, Wagner certainly comes to mind.
Dont discount Dixon's heart. I would go as far out as saying he may very well have the most heart in the league. Not only in the game but in real life as well( growing up in the streets, parents dying while he was very early from AIDS transmitted from heroin needles).

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Juan Dixon could very well be an Iverson Jr. All out hustle, a nose for steals (#2 in the league per 48 minutes), streaky shooting, fearless in driving to the hoop, very pesky defender, able to put up loads of points quickly when hot, and below 40% shooting ;) Actually, compare the two's numbers per 48:

Dixon: 23.8 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.7 APG, 3.0 SPG, 76.1 FT%, 39.1 FG%, 28.2 3P%, 3.1 TO
Iverson: 30.4 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 6.7 APG, 2.8 SPG, 74.8 FT%, 39.2 FG%, 30.0 3P%, 5.1 TO

Okay, not exactly the same, but look how close those shooting percentages are! I know this isn't exactly the point of the thread, since Dixon pretty much already plays entirely at SG, but he definitely fits the small gunner role.
Exact player that comes to mind. He is almost exactly the same as AI. My favorite player.;)

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
Michael Jordan was Iverson before Iverson.
What in the world are you talking about? They are 2 entirely different players. Do you watch basketball?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

What in the world are you talking about? They are 2 entirely different players. Do you watch basketball?
According this post of yours, I should be asking you the question.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts