Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A snippet of the article as a whole:

Matt,
Between Chicago (Jerry Krause 4+ years) and Washington (Michael Jordan 2+ years), which team has taken the proper steps in rebuilding for the future and to win championships?

Thanks from Juris Q. Qualls
Chicago, Ill.

Juris,
Looking at it from the present perspective, the Bulls are better positioned for the future, but it is unrealistic to believe that either of these teams are of championship caliber any time soon.
After Jordan left, Chicago stripped their team down, went with young players, and that was the sensible thing to do because by being so bad they were able to get very high draft picks.
---
Taking all things into consideration, the Bulls might be a playoff-caliber team in two or three years in the weak East.

As for the Wizards,
---
As far as a championship mix, they caught a bad break by getting the number one pick in the draft in a year when there was not a Shaquille O’Neal/Tim Duncan player available. As a consequence, they gambled on a high school player, Kwame Brown, and it looks like he will take a long time to develop and might turn out to be a bust in the end anyway. They also gave up on a couple of their more promising younger players such as Rip Hamilton and Courtney Alexander. The Wizards might reach the postseason sooner than the Bulls, but they have not built a team that has an eye on the bigger prize down the road.
http://msnbc.com/news/819426.asp

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
From the same article...

The trade that brought Chicago Jalen Rose last season was as good as they could hope for. They acquired an established, high-salary player, but Rose is not someone who has the capability of making others around him better.
Whoa. Grain of salt fellas, grain of salt. Though a former NBA coach wrote his article, I don't usually look to MSNBC for my sports 411.

Couple quick observations:
Per the Wizards - It is way too early to call Kwame a 'bust'. The kid is one year out of HS. Geez. Also if they can re-sign Stackhouse long term, this will make them a much better team in the future. If Brown improves, with Etan Thomas and Haywoode (whom I am really impressed with), the Wiz could have one of the better frontlines in the NBA. Throw in Jeffries (not sure how he'll turn out) and the shooting of Dixon and.. who knows. It is way too early to forecast what will happen 3 years from now.

Per the Bulls - Curry and Chandler obviously showed more in their rookie years than Brown. The future rests with these two and young Jay Williams. I disagree w/ Guokas' assessment of Rose, he is an unselfish player and has already made those around him better. Sooner or later this will turn into wins for the BUlls. Rose is a solid cog in our rebuilding project, and a great pickup last season.

Nothing too big or new here in the article. But the Wiz and Bulls will continue to be compared against each other b/c of a certain number 23. Heh. I want both to succeed of course, but my personal opinion is that the BUlls future is brighter.

VD

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I agree with those comments VD. It seems this guy isn't that much in touch. Anyone who knows anything about scouting knows that it is way too early to call Kwame a bust and that he will likely be a very good player.

As far as Haywood is concerned, I have liked this guy all the way back to NC, he was one guy I really felt the Bulls should try to getr their hands on. I just wonder if Haywood will be as good as Curry when they both hit their peak. Curry has more offense, but Haywood has more defense and is a better rebounder.

Whats your take on comparisons between Curry & Haywood?

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
The way I read the article, it didn't call Kwame a bust. It said he "might turn out to be a bust in the end", and even that was stated within the context of explaining that the Wizards chose to gamble on a HS player in a year when there was no Shaq-like player available to take with the #1 pick.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I agree with most of what VD wrote.

As for my opinion on Curry & Haywood - I go with Haywood over Curry for a couple of reasons. I like the way he hustles on defense and the way he goes for the rebounds. Defense is something some players don't apply the needed effort for one or more reasons. Some big men think size alone will help them in that area....it never helped Bradley, to name just one with size and no work ethic. Hopefully, under the tutelage of Cartwright, Curry will learn to like hard work.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!

As for my opinion on Curry & Haywood - I go with Haywood over Curry for a couple of reasons. I like the way he hustles on defense and the way he goes for the rebounds. Defense is something some players don't apply the needed effort for one or more reasons. Some big men think size alone will help them in that area....it never helped Bradley, to name just one with size and no work ethic. Hopefully, under the tutelage of Cartwright, Curry will learn to like hard work.
Every 7-footer with the stature of a Curry or Haywood is called lazy if they do not dominate. Haywood has been tagged with the label far more than Curry hence his drop to the latter third of last year's draft.

Take your pick of the lesser of Haywood\Brown & Curry\Chandler and leaving aside Kandi\Brand, you STILL have the 2nd best young tandem of Post talent in the NBA, right?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
<b>"Take your pick of the lesser of Haywood\Brown & Curry\Chandler and leaving aside Kandi\Brand, you STILL have the 2nd best young tandem of Post talent in the NBA, right?"</b>

When it comes to "talent", one could say "yes" to either the Wiz or the Bulls post "talent" being the best of the young tandems in the post. Whether that "talent" translates into victories is yet another subject.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I really like the combination of talent the Wizards have for the future at the 3/4/5 in Jeffries, who Aldridge has said has been the most impressive rookie so far to him, Kwame, and Haywood. I guess the Bulls counter with Jay/Chandler/Curry at 1/4/5. I personally like Etan over Fizer, because I liken Fizer to a warmed over Chris Gatling. I also like Hughes over Crawford. Hassel adds something to the young Bulls, but Dixon looks like he is ready to go. If the Wizards keep Varda, I guess he could be their Daibar if someone wants to bring him up. I like the versatility of the young Wizards more than the Bulls, but that doesn't mean I am discounting what the young Bulls might one day develop in to.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
I agree with those comments VD. It seems this guy isn't that much in touch. Anyone who knows anything about scouting knows that it is way too early to call Kwame a bust and that he will likely be a very good player.

As far as Haywood is concerned, I have liked this guy all the way back to NC, he was one guy I really felt the Bulls should try to getr their hands on. I just wonder if Haywood will be as good as Curry when they both hit their peak. Curry has more offense, but Haywood has more defense and is a better rebounder.

Whats your take on comparisons between Curry & Haywood?
I am a big fan of NC basketball, and have followed Haywood's career throughout. I've always felt that he never quite 'put everything together' in the college ranks. I felt at times that his footwork especially left much to be desired, and that he was one or two go-to post moves away from dominating the college game. This being said, his draft stock suffered b/c of a subpar senior season (considering all that was expected of both him and the team).

He shot something like 64% in college (wow) b/c most of his offense was put back and dunks. This is an amazing percentage, and I believe the best in NC history. Right now his strengths are defense and rebounding, which is exactly what I would want out of an NBA center. He's a bona fide 7 footer, w/ long arms and a great build. His future is bright.

Haywood is 4 years Curry's senior, so its really hard to compare the two. Haywood will be turning 24 soon, and Curry 20. Rather than compare and judge, here's my two cents on Curry.

Curry will have no problems scoring in this league. Night in and night out, he will often be the better offensive center. In a league that is increasingly running short of effective centers, Curry could be putting up 15/10 as early as this season. He's got good feet, nice post moves, and has shown some consistency at hitting an open jumpshot. Once he learns to use his huge body, look out. He will be hard to contain.

Like so many others, I am not going to 'knock' Curry's defense and rebounding.. b/c its never struck me as that bad. Sure there were some long nights last season, but Curry can still become a very good defender and monster rebounder in this league. Though he may not be as tall, long, or quick off his feet as say a Tyson Chandler, the kid is pretty huge and can become a force on D sooner rather than later.

Most of the blocks last season I saw from Curry were from help D. Curry, as so many young post players, needs to learn better footwork and body control in teh paint (especially for rebounding's sake). Couple this progression w/ improved officiating (gawd- Curry got called for each and every move he made on D last year) and he can round out his game very well. After a summer of getting in better shape and working on his game, I expect big things from him this year... on both ends of the court.

VD

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I haven't been impressed with Curry's passing, and I don't think he has started getting real double teams yet. I will be interested to see how he handles it when it starts to happen, and whether he can make the pass or not. Many a post player has been foiled by his inability to pass out of the double.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
I haven't been impressed with Curry's passing, and I don't think he has started getting real double teams yet. I will be interested to see how he handles it when it starts to happen, and whether he can make the pass or not. Many a post player has been foiled by his inability to pass out of the double.
Curry has those wonderful hands plus will learn to use his body to keep defenders away. He seems to have good vision too although this is more speculation. I have no worries for him on O including passing.

Interesting that the Wiz and Bulls each have one big man that is better on O and one that is better on D. Makes sense.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
He's just off a rookie season, and never had any college seasoning. :confused:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!

As for my opinion on Curry & Haywood - I go with Haywood over Curry for a couple of reasons. I like the way he hustles on defense and the way he goes for the rebounds.
He's had four years of college seasoning and 2 pro trades under his belt to get him going.

I'd say he has a headstart on how it's done...but when Curry gets there, whose talent will take them furthur?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gettinbranded</b>!

He's just off a rookie season, and never had any college seasoning. :confused:
Not sure how college would help with passing out of a pro style double team especially when in college they would zone that or not bother to double.

However, Like I said, they haven't started yet so I don't expect him to have Shaq like assists, but eventually it is going to have to happen for him to be successful. Are you telling me you have seen him making good passes out of the post?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts