Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who is Most Valuable Player of 2012 season?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What says you.

Or is there someone else you'd like to make an argument for.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Manning for MVP. Peterson can have the Comeback Player Award

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Didn't the Broncos make the playoffs and win a game without even bothering to start a QB last year? I love me some Peyton Manning, but my vote would go to AP.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I am extremely bias and I think what Peyton Manning has done is incredible, but I think you have to give it to AD. He's coming off a major injury and he's carrying a team on his back that only won THREE games last year AND that's without Percy Harvin, to the playoffs when everyone predicted them to be at the bottom of the NFC North.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I'm surprised that Matt Ryan had a couple bad games and then immediately fell off people's radars. Manning had some pretty putrid games himself this season.
Code:
Player           Comp% Yards YPA TD TOs QBR  Record
Matt Ryan        69.0  4481  7.9 31 16  77.6  13-2
Peyton Manning   68.1  4355  7.9 34 13  82.7  12-3
Still, though, I'll take ADP as my MVP provided the Vikings make the playoffs. He's been the best and most valuable player in football this season.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I'd go with Manning, but it's an intriguing topic. I think a lot of Titans fans might remind you that Chris Johnson had a very similar season to the one that Adrian Peterson has had, but did not get a single vote for MVP.

Then there are the TD's too. Hard for me to understand how Peterson has 11 rushing TDs with all of those yards. In the last two seasons Cam Newton has scored 22 rushing touchdowns. He's got 8 this year and everyone says that he's had a bad year.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Titans also finished 8-8 and in 3rd place in their division that year, missing the playoffs. Peterson has willed the Vikings into playoff contention.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
The Vikings are 3-2 in their last 5, 2-3 the five before that, and 4-1 the first five. And AP wasn't even playing all that spectacularly during that 4-1 start. During his unbelievable stretch (which I had enjoyed watching immensely), the Vikings went 4-4. Manning's Broncos have won 10 in a row, though his stats have fluctuated.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Peterson. **** a Manning, that's a shitty ass division and the Broncos won it last year with Tebow when it was a lot better.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
The Vikings are 3-2 in their last 5, 2-3 the five before that, and 4-1 the first five. And AP wasn't even playing all that spectacularly during that 4-1 start. During his unbelievable stretch (which I had enjoyed watching immensely), the Vikings went 4-4. Manning's Broncos have won 10 in a row, though his stats have fluctuated.
The 4 Viking losses in that stretch are @Chicago, @Green Bay, and @Seattle = 3 of the most impossible places to win games in the the NFL... and against Tampa Bay right when they were gelling in the middle of the season. They also beat Chicago and won @Houston in that stretch.

Manning's most impressive victory over those 10 was at the sputtering Ravens.

You are not comparing apples to apples, sir.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
As much as I hate him, if people are going to bring up Matt Ryan then Aaron Rodgers has to be in the conversation.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
The 4 Viking losses in that stretch are @Chicago, @Green Bay, and @Seattle = 3 of the most impossible places to win games in the the NFL... and against Tampa Bay right when they were gelling in the middle of the season. They also beat Chicago and won @Houston in that stretch.

I am sad to report that it is far from "impossible" to win in Soldier Field these days.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
As much as I hate him, if people are going to bring up Matt Ryan then Aaron Rodgers has to be in the conversation.
I don't think people realize quite how banged up the Packers have been. By all rights, this should have been a 9-7 or 10-6 season (or worse), but Rodgers has kept them on track. The season feels a lot like 2010 with the injuries, but the team isn't struggling nearly that much and you could certainly argue that major injuries to Woodson, Jennings, Nelson, Bishop, Perry, Bulaga, Sherrod, Benson, and Matthews should have tanked the year.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts

Very true, the Broncos faced some weak defenses, though Cincinnati has been good against the pass and even San Diego has been middle of the pack.

But when you're dealing with a toss-up like this, you've got to be creative :D

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Code:
Player           Comp% Yards YPA TD TOs QBR  Record
Matt Ryan        69.0  4481  7.9 31 16  77.6  13-2
Peyton Manning   68.1  4355  7.9 34 13  82.7  12-3
Aaron Rodgers    67.0  3930  7.7 35 12  72.6  11-4
He's not quite on their level statistically this season, but he has been coming up big as of late and his squad has been banged up.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Just counting "Turnovers" is kind of lame... fumbles attributed to the quarterback may or may not be the fault of the quarterback (though I guess the same is true of INTs, to a lesser extent).

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Receivers can tip balls into the defenders hands all they want. The picks still belong to the QB's. Of course they get the Playboy models and the endorsement money too, so **** those guys.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Just counting "Turnovers" is kind of lame... fumbles attributed to the quarterback may or may not be the fault of the quarterback (though I guess the same is true of INTs, to a lesser extent).
I would argue that fumbles are more likely to be the QBs fault than are interceptions.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts