Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ostertag-fan</b>!
whoops. meant rafer "skip to my lou" alston (check any AND1 tape and see if you agree).
I know who Alston is. I own pretty much all of the tapes. And the ones that I don't, I have on Kazaa. ;)

BTW - Monroe was always a good ballhandler.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I'm saying pistol pete maravich. Others are Magic, Oscar robinson, MJ, and AI.
no way should MJ be considered at the top. his dribble was great but not at an elite PG level. i think Jwill is up there, maybe marbury too.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Magic was the best that I had ever seen...but I am only 15 and never even came close to seeing Pistol Pete play...he's good in NBA Street 2 tho! But Jordan as a crown a dribbling so....

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Pistol Pete Maravich hands down, he was the first to handle the ball like that and led the way for guys like Magic and Jason Williams. Pistol created that kind of creativity and flare, so he really is the best ball handler ever.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Magic Johnson's handle doesn't even come close to approaching the best, Johnson was just bigger than everyone and used his body to shield the ball. Magic handled the ball similar to Jason Kidd, by a matter of fact, they have almost the exact same game, if Kidd were 5 inches taller he would put up similar numbers to that of Magic. He couldn't do near the things people like, Pistol Pete, Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas, Jason Williams and Stephon Marbury could and can do with the basketball. As for Rafer Alston, he doesn't even have the best handle out of the And 1 players, he was just the innovator of the And 1 thing, the innovator often gets overrated. Tim Hardaway would also have to be up there.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
could someone (knowledgable) lay down the whole pistol pete argument for me? cause if its based on him being the innovator then its a flawed argument. i've seen some highlights of him doing some fancy moves but that proves very little to me, especially because he was making moves as a shooting guard. is he actually a better ballhandler than all the best PGs through the years?

in my mind, ballhandling isn't just the hand on the ball, its the way the whole body moves with the ball. for example, the best killer crossover needs to be accompanied by amazing lateral quickness- therefore quickness and agility are quite important when determining who the best ballhandler is.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!

in my mind, ballhandling isn't just the hand on the ball, its the way the whole body moves with the ball. for example, the best killer crossover needs to be accompanied by amazing lateral quickness- therefore quickness and agility are quite important when determining who the best ballhandler is.
I believe the same thing. I think people often confuse dribbling ability and ballhandling ability. Dribbling is part of ballhandling. With that said Magic is the greatest ballhandler I have ever seen. To see a guy 6'9 and do the stuff he did was incredible. MJ was never a great but good ballhandler. But MJ had great dribbles especially early early into his career. The greatest dribbler I have ever seen is Isiah and Tim Hardaway. But you can't refute the stories told of Pistol Pete's dribbling...they are simply quite amazing and he revolutionized the art of it. However, the Globetrotters and And1 have some of the most amazing dribblers I have EVER seen...much better than NBA pros but their basketball skill obviously is not or they would be in the NBA.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm saying pistol pete maravich. Others are Magic, Oscar robinson, MJ, and AI.
Interesting to ponder. I always go with how many times they handle the ball and how many turnovers they incurred. I think Stockton has the lowest turnovers of all the great ballhandlers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Re: Re: Who is the best ball handler to ever?

Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!

Interesting to ponder. I always go with how many times they handle the ball and how many turnovers they incurred. I think Stockton has the lowest turnovers of all the great ballhandlers.
This is a great comment and notion. Stockton definitely has to be one of the most efficient ballhandlers ever but the things Magic did with the ball were simply amazing but he piled up the TOs.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Who is the best ball handler to ever?

Originally posted by <b>Bball_Doctor</b>!

This is a great comment and notion. Stockton definitely has to be one of the most efficient ballhandlers ever but the things Magic did with the ball were simply amazing but he piled up the TOs.
I think Stockton did just as many "amazing" passes as Magic, just not as flashy as Magic. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is the best ball handler to ever?

Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!

I think Stockton did just as many "amazing" passes as Magic, just not as flashy as Magic. :)
That flash was made Magic...Magic:yes: :grinning: ...but there is no denying Stockton's incredible numbers. 15000 assists says alot.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts