Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Whose the BEST NBA player Duke has produced so far?

• Johnny Dawkins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Danny Ferry

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Christian Laettner

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Elton Brand

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Shane Battier

• Grant Hill

Votes: 69 61.1%
  • Trajan Langdon

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Carlos Boozer

• Mike Dunleavy

• Jay Williams

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read an interesting article in ESPN where they evaluated the best basketball players coming out of Duke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/flash/featureContent?feature=ncb_bedeviled

I didn't know that Duke has produced so many outstanding players over past decade and its interesting to see who you think is the BEST NBA player that Duke has ever produced.

Btw, I thought about including Jay Williams in the poll since even though he's out of the NBA, he did post some decent numbers when he played for the Bulls and he could turn out to be a decent, if not above average player, when he makes a comeback in the future.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Grant Hill

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Now Hill, later maybe Dunleavy or Boozer.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Hill, but i would say that is a pretty weak history of producing NBA players for such a dominant College program. if i wan't to go to the NBA...Duke aint the place to be. If i wan't an NCAA title maybe.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Golden Bull 23</b>!
Brand is an automatic double-double
so was Grant, oftentimes with a triple-double

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Hill at #1, with Brand closing in at a close 2nd.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ben</b>!
Hill at #1, with Brand closing in at a close 2nd.
I agree, for now. If Hill never returns, and Brand continues to improve he could take over the #1 spot, and Boozer and Dunleavy also look like they could become very good players in the near future. Boozer will be an All-Star next year...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
i said hill. take him out (btw why is langdon on the list??) and i would've voted for brand. speaking of which, i thought mags came from duke as well?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FanOfAll8472</b>!
i said hill. take him out (btw why is langdon on the list??) and i would've voted for brand. speaking of which, i thought mags came from duke as well?
Yes, and I think he's a bit more deserving of being listed than Trajan Langdon :laugh:

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Hill by far. He's the best pure talent that Duke has ever produced. He was well on his way to becoming a top 50 player of all time until the ankle injuries. I think his legacy, albeit a fairly brief one, is still more enduring than anything Brand or Battier has done. Brand is the second best player that Duke has ever produced. Although he'll never be as good as Hill was, he'll probably have a longer and more productive career. He might just vault to #1 in five years. I think Boozer is primed for a third place finish. He looks like a complete 180 reversal from what he was in college. He's quicker, more athletic, and more aggressive. I think he's an All Star in a year or two.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Why didn't you include Corey Maggette? Hill and Brand are probably ahead of him, but Maggette is definetly better than anybody else on that list.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fear the fro</b>!
Why didn't you include Corey Maggette? Hill and Brand are probably ahead of him, but Maggette is definetly better than anybody else on that list.
Damn, I forget Corey. It's easy to forget him since he was only at Duke for a year. I think he's right there with Boozer. He's probably slightly better right now but Boozer is playing so well. I think they'll be neck and neck for years.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think among the crop of players already turned out by Duke, Hill will always be by far the best, in terms of talent. Brand and Boozer aren't very close at all.

However, in terms of career value, Brand will surpass Hill and Boozer may, simply due to how short Hill's career was.

Luol Deng, however, could well be the next superstar turned out by Duke. Then Duke will have turned out two NBA superstars, if Deng pans out. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
Hill, but i would say that is a pretty weak history of producing NBA players for such a dominant College program. if i wan't to go to the NBA...Duke aint the place to be. If i wan't an NCAA title maybe.
yep it's the curse of duke.

ghill is the best duke nba player EVER case closed

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I agree with Minstrel. Hill was very, very good back then. In fact, I'm watching him talk right now. :D I hope he comes back..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts