1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie stats:
Magic: won the title, field goal at 53%,

Jordan: 28 points at field goal 51.5%

Larry Bird: average double-double in 36 minutes, but his field goal is only 47.4%

how about Shaq or Duncan?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
i will go with MJ, Magic won it cause of the talents surrounding him, but he did do good though in his rookie year

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
WITNESSING-wise, Vince Carter

If he wasn't drafted by the Raptors, I'd guarantee that we would of always went to the lottery every year, and we would of never made the playoffs. He ultimately created the Raptors. thank god he's a Raptor.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
If he wasn't drafted by the Raptors, I'd guarantee that we would of always went to the lottery every year, and we would of never made the playoffs. He ultimately created the Raptors. thank god he's a Raptor.

You must have not witnessed that much basketball then...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!
R

Larry Bird: average double-double in 36 minutes, but his field goal is only 47.4%
Only 47.4%!!!!!!
This is a great shooting percentage for a player that shot a ton of 3 pointers. Notice that he shot 41%.

He did win rookie of the year over Magic.
Bird's rookie stats
YR fg% ft % 3pt % Tot Ast Stl Blk TO Pts
79-80 .474 . 836 .406 10.4 4.5 1.74 .65 3.2 21.3

I would say Bird or Magic had the best ever.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chester Copperpot</b>!

<b>"The Big O" Oscar Robertson</b>

30.5 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 9.7 APG
I agree, Robertson.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont understand why so many people consider Magic Johnson to be the best rookie ever...

SURE...the guy had an AMAZING rookie season...
but so did these guys

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Shaquille Oneal

If you ask me...the best rookie seasons has to be between two players...

Oscar Robertson
30.5ppg 10.1rpg 9.7apg
ROY and lead the league in assists

Wilt Chamberlain
37.6ppg 27rpg 2.3apg.....and although there are no definative stats to prove it...he lead the league in blocked shots as well.
Wilt...along with being the ROY was named MVP in his first NBA season.

Of these two...I would pick Wilt's season due to the fact that he lead the league in three statisical categories and dominated the league like no one else ever has immediately.

Wilt's my choice!

·
Registered
435 Posts
compare magic's accomplishment as a rookie to who is the best rookie ever can be very irrelevant, how many of you here dont think a rookie mj or this year's lebron can win a ring also with that 79-80 lakers team ??

not to degrade magic' accomplishment or anything, but you cant deny he had a very deep team and a prime-time post presence in kareem, not to say a rookie mj or this year's lebron could hit that magic hook shot in a buzzer beater playing as a center, but put them in magic's position i am sure they can win a ring also.

yes oscar robertson must have the best rookie number so far, even though its in a difference era and those stats can be very deceiving since the competition isnt anywhere close to what it is today, but numbers are numbers, he has the best number so far so hes the best rookie up to date.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KIMCHI</b>!
compare magic's accomplishment as a rookie to who is the best rookie ever can be very irrelevant, how many of you here dont think a rookie mj or this year's lebron can win a ring also with that 79-80 lakers team ??

not to degrade magic' accomplishment or anything, but you cant deny he had a very deep team and a prime-time post presence in kareem, not to say a rookie mj or this year's lebron could hit that magic hook shot in a buzzer beater playing as a center, but put them in magic's position i am sure they can win a ring also.
Yes, that Laker team was very talented...
Yet, Magic´s arrival (while Dantley left) was the main reason the Lakers had a +13wins season.
Other facts: Magic was one of the few to have back to back titles in the NCAA and the NBA and the sole rookie ever to win Finals MVP (remember game 6)?.
I guess that´s why people put Magic in this discussion.

As far as me, i´d go with Wilt (Oscar a close second).

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I would say Big O and Wilt the Stilt, hands down.

Trailing behind them are Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Shaquille O'Neal, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Lebron James...arguably in roughly that order.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts