Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget about salary...

Who is the most untradeable player, on his value, in the entire league?

I say, Garnett is more untradeable than Duncan, Shaq, Lebron. He's a one-man team. He can guard every position and he can score from all over the place. He's a defensive monster, the league's leading rebounder, and there's basically nothing he can't do.

And he's 27 years old, and he's GETTING BETTER.

Lebron might be more untradeable when you think long-term, but Lebron will become what Garnett is today, except in a PG/SG/SF body.

Shaq, Duncan.. these guys win championships. That's the main thing with them. But as players, I could see them being traded if their teams stop performing at a high level.

But that's the whole point, right? They haven't stopped performing, or carrying their teams.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Most untradeable players:
1: Shaq
2: Garnett
3: Duncan
4: Lebron
5: Yao Ming

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Duncan.

I think Shaq is more tradeable than Duncan at this age. Shaq is going through lots of injuries. I would rather have Duncan at this point.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Duncan is the most untradeable. Hes got the MVPs, the titles, the awards and then some. We've seen him come up big in huge games in the playoffs.

KG would be 2nd, equally as talented as Duncan...he hasnt had the experience past round 1. Maybe thats not his fault, but its still something that would be new to him to play in a playoff series beyond round 1. Who knows how he'd respond.

Lebron and Yao would be next. In no order. They are young, very talented and generate lots of ticket sales and other stuff that makes money for the franchise. Carmelo would follow these guys by a slim margin, but he doesnt have the hype around him like the other two, but is just as talented.

Shaq would be after them, mainly because of his age. Hes still a top 3 player but I think that the Lakers would accept an offer for Duncan or KG if it was on the table, where as the Spurs would never accept Shaq for Duncan if the Lakers offered that.

Guys like Pierce, Kobe, Tmac and Iverson follow them.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duncan rightfully gets the nod in most people's heads, because of his championship experience and his proven ability to flat-out win. The team has stayed good ever since he's gotten on it.

But as far as player skills, Garnett can do EVERYTHING. Duncan is the guy you build around; Garnett is a one-man team. You put even just decent guys around him, and you're going to the playoffs. If you can find two decent guy and one #2 type guy, Garnett becomes completely unleashed.

They are actually the same age, although Garnett's been in the league for longer. But I mean, Garnett can just do more! You can't just sic Duncan on some point guard to scare him.

I really think KG can guard all five positions almost 98% of the time. I can't think of a player in recent memory that could do that... the closest one would be Scottie Pippen, back in the heyday.

But Duncan is easy, and effective. Just put guys that can shoot around him, and guys that can get him the ball, and find a decent big to clog the center so Duncan has more space to move, and you've got rings. It's a pretty close vote, but I'd put Garnett above Duncan.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!
Duncan rightfully gets the nod in most people's heads, because of his championship experience and his proven ability to flat-out win. The team has stayed good ever since he's gotten on it.

But as far as player skills, Garnett can do EVERYTHING. Duncan is the guy you build around; Garnett is a one-man team. You put even just decent guys around him, and you're going to the playoffs. If you can find two decent guy and one #2 type guy, Garnett becomes completely unleashed.

They are actually the same age, although Garnett's been in the league for longer. But I mean, Garnett can just do more! You can't just sic Duncan on some point guard to scare him.

I really think KG can guard all five positions almost 98% of the time. I can't think of a player in recent memory that could do that... the closest one would be Scottie Pippen, back in the heyday.

But Duncan is easy, and effective. Just put guys that can shoot around him, and guys that can get him the ball, and find a decent big to clog the center so Duncan has more space to move, and you've got rings. It's a pretty close vote, but I'd put Garnett above Duncan.
So you're argument is that you rather take someone who is a better overall player than someone who would get you championships. That makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!

You say KG is a one man team, and Duncan is the guy you build around. Perhaps KG being a 1 man team is the reason hes never been out of the 1st round?

Realistically, both guys are players to build around. Neither are a one man team. Nobody in the history of basketball has been successful with a one man team. Not Jordan, not Shaq, not anyone.

KG is more versatile than Duncan, but KG cant do any one thing that is as effective as sticking Duncan downlow on both ends. It evens out. Where Duncan has the advantage is that hes been beyond round 1, and has titles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ESPN did an article last year on this very topic.

IIRC, the top three most untradeable players are: Duncan, Yao, Shaq. I am sure they would add James to the list this year.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can't beleive no one has put his name down yet.

Eddie "Baby Shaq" Curry!

Chicago wouldn't even bite on a Yao+Lebron for Eddie Curry Deal...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>osman</b>!
Vin Baker. No one would ever accept him and his contract in a trade. Completely untradeable.
give this man a prize! Without a doubt, Vin is the most untradeable player in the NBA. We couldn't get even a bag of peanuts for him now.:cry:

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PatBateman</b>!

give this man a prize! Without a doubt, Vin is the most untradeable player in the NBA. We couldn't get even a bag of peanuts for him now.:cry:
Quite the opposite. Given that his contract is apparently now eligible for almost immediate termination, he'll come off the books of whatever team that took him from you.

In other words, he's a boatload of cap room, and hence quite a good deal for someone.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Duncan and KG. There's not a chance either of them would be traded. Ming hasn't done much this year, and while he won't be traded, Duncan and KG are much more secure in their spots. Shaq is getting old, injured, and not producing as much, so he'd get traded way before Duncan or KG. And LeBron is a rookie, so it's gotta be KG and Duncan. I'd put KG ahead, but somehow the fact that he's never had any good teammates would be brought up by Spur-loving people, so I'll put them as equally untradable.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would have to say its LeBron, because of his age and his marketing ability. How aobut doing it by position.

C- Yao
PF- Duncan
SF- Garnett
SG- LeBron
PG- Hinrich

·
Registered
942 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CAnthony15</b>!
I would have to say its LeBron, because of his age and his marketing ability. How aobut doing it by position.

C- Yao
PF- Duncan
SF- Garnett
SG- LeBron
PG- Hinrich
Hinrich?????????

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Duncan. I wouldn't trade him straight up for anyone in the league. He's everybit as good as Shaq is right now, if not better. Plus, he's healthier, younger, and has a much better contract. KG has yet to win a championship so I'm not ready to put him in the same boat as Duncan. I wouldn't trade Duncan for any of the young wings in the game either.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Duncan, Garnett and O'Neal are the 3 most dominant players in the league but they are not untradeable. Kareem was traded. Chamberlain was traded (twice).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts