Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 31.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, I probably should have defined "reasonable". I was basically meaning to exclude Sow (5.4 MPG) and Aaron Williams (5.9 MPG), everybody else has gotten 12+ MPG and is fair game.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Jalen's defense has been heavily criticised this season, but when he actually has some motivation I'd say he can be pretty solid in that department .

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I voted Jalen, although he has done a much better job this season.

I don't see why Hoffa is voted as the worst. I mean he does foul a lot (he has done a better job controlling his fouls as of late), but his man to man defense is solid. Not to mention he is one of if not the best help defender on our team.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If its for every raptor regardless if they play or not, i would say LAMMOND MURRAY

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Honestly this question is like asking which was the worst seat on the Titanic.

ALL the Raps are horrible defenders except for MoP and Milt, who are just adequate defenders but can't shut anyone down or keep them out of the key.

People are just basing their opinions on what player they like or don't like. For Hoffa to be on that poll and not Donny is a joke. Donny's feet are in cement when it comes to help rotations. He often moves out of the way of penetrating guards or just watches them from across the lane. Donny does come up with an inspired defensive game about 4 times per year against a KG or Yao or somebody really good, but gets eaten alive by every average to below average C in the league.

At least Hoffa tries. He rotates extremely well for such a big man. He actually tries to do too much and picks up most of his fouls on PGs.

Bosh is a very bad defender on the perimeter. Guys drive past him way too easily. Bosh is a good help defender with his shotblocking, but his rotations are not great, and he is a poor 1 on 1 defender.

Rafer is a horrible defender for someone with his quickness and who isn't asked to play 40mpg. He can't keep anyone out of the lane.

Jalen is brutal because he paces himself during the game. He conserves his energy on D and always gets the easiest assignment to try and hide him. He's an older player and can't get down low in a defensive stance anymore. Not very quick. Stronger players and quicker players eat him up.

Lamond is a bad defender, but not brutal. Many times he has shut down a Steve Francis or other quick SG during key points of games. He is a pure SF that is asked to guard SG's and switch onto PGs at times, which he just can't do very often at this stage of his career.

Bonner is a fairly bad defender, especially inside where he doesn't really have the length or the strength to battle with certain players. On the perimeter he does fairly well. He knows how to give ground and cut off quicker players. Very bad rotations.

Overall its a vicious circle: the Raps poor perimeter D gets the big men into trouble and then the guards don't rotate to help out the bigs, AND when the guards force a player baseline or get beat down the middle the bigs often miss rotations which result in easy dunks. So the guards make our bigs look evern worse on D, and our bigs make our guards look even worse on D.

The Raps are poor individual defenders, but far worse than that they are equally poor on help rotations.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
"it's like picking who has the worst seat on the Titanic"..lol

It's Jalen btw. He's sitting near the front and he's like "YO! whats that big white thing we're sailing toward! it's getting too close!"

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
jalen

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Rose

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hoffa's a rookie so ya gotta give him a break

Jalen used to be a good defender (see 1998 Eastern conference final, Jalen guarding MJ :biggrin: ) but his agility and foot speed have slowed down considerably in the past couple years, limiting his defensive effectiveness.

I was the lone person voting for Rafer. He does try, but his lack of size and weight at the point has hindered his ability to stop the bigger point guards in the league. he has trouble stopping quicker guards even though he has the quickness to keep up, and seems to lack the latteral quickness that good defenders have.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
TRON said:
Hoffa's a rookie so ya gotta give him a break
I was the lone person voting for Rafer. He does try, but his lack of size and weight at the point has hindered his ability to stop the bigger point guards in the league. he has trouble stopping quicker guards even though he has the quickness to keep up, and seems to lack the latteral quickness that good defenders have.
He Use To Be A Great Defender Last Year With The Heat.. I Dunno What Happened To Him This Year, I Think Thats Somethin He Needs To Work On In The Summer. Even Tyronn Lue Can Shoot On Him Now Days. He Doesnt Use His Quick-Ness When Playin D. The Other Thing I See In Him, Is When Someone Talks Trash To Him In Games, He Starts Playin Good Defence On Them, Which Isn't Good Cuz This Is The NBA N U Always Need To Play Good Defence. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For Hoffa to be on that poll and not Donny is a joke.
Just to clarify, I decided that to be unbiased, I would list them in terms of whose presence caused the opposing team's FG% to go up the most, excluding the two guys that get less than 6 minutes a game. Alston is a +1.7%, Rose is a +2.0%, Araujo is a +2.5% (c.f. www.82games.com). Marshall, BTW, actually decreases opponent FT% (-1.5%). Now numbers obviously don't tell the whole story, or even half of it, but hopefully that explains why I put who I did in the poll.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Matt Bonner!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts