Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I think the only players that we can't afford to to trade is Shane and Posey. Besides them anyone is fair game to improve the team. What are your postitions on this?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
As long as Jerry West is here, I'd say that none of our players are "untradeable." I really don't see Posey going anywhere, however. He's probably been our most valuable player this season. And he's exactly the type of player that Hubie and Jerry love. I know that I would hate to see him go.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
I'd like to hang on to Posey, Gasol, and JWill in that order. Anyone else can be traded if we get better in the long run.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!
I'd like to hang on to Posey, Gasol, and JWill in that order. Anyone else can be traded if we get better in the long run.
Agreed, except for me it's JWill, Posey, and Gasol in that order. IMO, there is just no other PG in the NBA that plays exactly like JWill, thus making JWill an invaluable part of the Grizzlies offensive and defensive system.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think that in this team every body is tradeable, because most of them have too many value for a trade and with two of them is possible to obtain a great star.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think that every player on the squad is tradable but getting Dampier loses some of its purpose if we were to give up Gasol. I think that we are all afraid of losing the team chemistry that has been developed and that causes us to prefer to keep certain players.

Losing Posey and Battier would effect the the team's never say die attitude. Losing Wirght and Swift would forfeit some to the squad's attitude toward accepting whatever role given. All four of these are players that are team minded and just want to win. JWill's personality goes a long way toward the personality of the team. He is a big part of the reason that the Grizzlies are exciting to watch.

Bo and Jake's contracts are within the trade parameters of Dampier's contract. Most of us don't like what we know about Humphrey and we don't have any idea how Smith, Jones and Bell really fit into the overall picture.

Miller seems to be a long term part of the team. Bonzi is believed to have great potential to be a star for the team. Watson is low cost quality cover at the point. He is probably expendible but where are you going to find that level of cover at that price.

Shane and Earl are the team's two hardest workers. The others have been quoted saying that the work rates are above the bar which makes these two hard to trade because they set a good standard for the others.

IMO Swift, Jake, Bo, and Humphreys are the most expendible. Swift is exciting and a team player that has improved greatly but is his still very inconsistent after four years. It's hard to pay someone like this $5M plus a season. I think that makes him the bait with his expiring contract.

If Van Exel's definitely part of the any possible trade, it will be tough for Jerry to get it done without giving up more than the fan's want to see go. I wonder if Michael Dickerson's contract could play into this equation. His contract which is paid by insurance and doesn't count against the luzuary tax and will come off the books would make the trade possible from the Grizzlies's perceptive. The Warriors want to clear cap space. Swift, Jake, and Dickerson plus Bo's declining salary would create almost $12M for next year and take them down to $30M committed for next year.

Is that enough to put them in the Kobe sweepstakes? And can the Grizzlies frontline afford to go from five capable players to three? And what do we do with JWill, Nick, and Earl?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gasol is as close to untradeable as anyone, but JWest would trade him too if the right deal could be made, but that would have to be some kind of deal.

Steve Francis & Houston are no longer in love. Houston needs a good PG that will work the ball inside. J-Will & Stro to Houston for Francis? I haven't checked the salary, but I assume we'd have to add some filler to make the salaries work.

I love J-Will but his outside shooting is atrocious. He's great when he's hot, but he's only hot about 1 game in 10. We need more shooting consistency from our PG's. Francis is an outstanding PG & a great shooter. Problem solved.

No, I don't think this trade will happen, but I think it's an interesting idea.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Viper</b>!
Gasol is as close to untradeable as anyone, but JWest would trade him too if the right deal could be made, but that would have to be some kind of deal.

Steve Francis & Houston are no longer in love. Houston needs a good PG that will work the ball inside. J-Will & Stro to Houston for Francis? I haven't checked the salary, but I assume we'd have to add some filler to make the salaries work.

I love J-Will but his outside shooting is atrocious. He's great when he's hot, but he's only hot about 1 game in 10. We need more shooting consistency from our PG's. Francis is an outstanding PG & a great shooter. Problem solved.

No, I don't think this trade will happen, but I think it's an interesting idea.
Francis is a great player, but his ego is a concern. He's refused to play for the Grizzlies before, what's to stop him now?

Also, I just don't like Francis as a PG. The guy doesn't pass. JWill averages a lot more assists than Francis for a good reason.
Francis will average 6 assists per game at best, and that is just pathetic. This team has too much talent, and we need somebody who's unselfish to distribute the ball so we can make the most out of our talent.

JWill may not be a great shooter, but he's a great passer, and that's all a PG needs to do. I don't think Hubie worked on JWill's game only to have him traded for a selfish PG.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>grizzhoops</b>!
Francis isn't the type of player that other players like to play with night in and night out. Once he left Maryland, they won the national championship. ???? What does that say?
They didn't win it right after he left. They had players called Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Chris Wilcox and Lonny Baxter who were excellent college players.

That being said, Francis would be a better SG than a PG and I don't like how he's not giving the ball to Yao and he would probably neglect Gasol as well.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AL9045</b>!

They didn't win it right after he left. They had players called Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Chris Wilcox and Lonny Baxter who were excellent college players.

That being said, Francis would be a better SG than a PG and I don't like how he's not giving the ball to Yao and he would probably neglect Gasol as well.
Yao gets the ball plenty. I hope the Rockets do trade him and people can then start to criticize Yao for Houston's problems.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!

Yao gets the ball plenty. I hope the Rockets do trade him and people can then start to criticize Yao for Houston's problems.
Oh please, Yao is not Houston's problem. Houston's problem is that Francis is not willing to give up the ball even though he's never been to the playoffs. He's still clashing with Van Gundy and it's likely he'll be traded.

Yao should be shooting at least 20 times per game and Francis takes lower percentage shots and misses them.

I mean for God's sake, Francis leaves the team just to go to the Super Bowl and then he lies about it.

Yeah, that's great leadership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts