Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Stephon Marbury

Votes: 9 23.7%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the NBA.com poll of who was the best point guard from New York City. I was not suprised to see Stephon Marbuary dominate the votes but I do not feelt he majority voters that vote on the polls at both ESPN and NBA.com are hardcore fans like the ones that post here. So here is the question who is/was better Bob Cousy or Stephon Marbuary?

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My vote is Bob Cousy. He is one of the top fifty NBA players of all-time and was a great floor general and lead the Celtics to many championships. Marbuary has not proven to be a leader or a winner and looks like he is not a Franchise player that you can even build a team around. He failed as a leader in New Jeresy and Phoenix and so far it is not looking good for him in New York. His time in Minnesota was too short and he was the second best player next to KG so it is unfair to count his time in Minny as a failure.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I've never been a big fan of Marbury. He is a very good player, but I dont think he is a great player. I think Marbury would be better off, and the same with Francis, playing next to a big point and playing shooting guard. His greatest strength is obviously his scoring. Just my opinion though.

I think it is funny that after the trade people were saying Knicks were gonna be an instant force in the East, and now they've lost 4 in a row ... tonight was an embarassment for them.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Cousy was great for his time, but he was an innovator in a relatively new sport. That gives him some cache, but I think he wouldn't survive a sport, today, where every good high school point guard can do what used to be Cousy's province alone and good NBA point guards can do things Cousy never dreamed of doing.

Marbury is a brilliant scorer and play-maker and an underrated defender. He's made out to be non-existant on defense, but he's actually fairly solid.

I definitely think Marbury is the best of the New York point guards. He's Isaiah Thomas with lesser defense.

A fascinating "Did You Know?" from SportsCenter: Oscar Robertson and Stephon Marbury are the only two players in NBA history to average 20 points and 8 assists per game their whole career.

Of course, Steph's career isn't over, so he may not end up still in the Big O's company...but it's still stunning to know how rare what Marbury has done so far is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
I've never been a big fan of Marbury. He is a very good player, but I dont think he is a great player. I think Marbury would be better off, and the same with Francis, playing next to a big point and playing shooting guard. His greatest strength is obviously his scoring. Just my opinion though.

I think it is funny that after the trade people were saying Knicks were gonna be an instant force in the East, and now they've lost 4 in a row ... tonight was an embarassment for them.
please tell me starbury is saving his knee for not playing tight defense plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
franchise toy with him almost at will in this game and its kinda embarassing to watch !!!!!!!

oh back to the topic, if i have to choose between starbury and cousy on whos the best pg to come out of ny ?? definately starbury, more athletic, faster, stronger, just as good ball handler if not better, cousy might have the edge on passing but starbury have exceeded cousy a lot more than cousy have the edge on starbury on every catalog.
to me, cousy is an innovator, if hes a 1966 volkswagon beetle then starbury gotta be the newly improved 2004 mini.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
A fascinating "Did You Know?" from SportsCenter: Oscar Robertson and Stephon Marbury are the only two players in NBA history to average 20 points and 8 assists per game their whole career.

Of course, Steph's career isn't over, so he may not end up still in the Big O's company...but it's still stunning to know how rare what Marbury has done so far is.
Well the Big O is undoubtedly one of the all time greats...but I think Steph is just a star in this era, not an all time great.

Sure these two players have averaged 20 and 8 for their career...
but Magic Johnson averaged 19.5 ppg to go with 11.2 apg. Sure he didnt average the 20...but those stats may as well see him in that group.

All the same...I know this topic's on NY point guards...and in my opinion...I think that Stephon is the best out of New York so far. Sure Cousy has won championships...but Marbury would have won them as well had he been playing with the Celtics right!

I think Sebastian Telfair may have a case for this award though in about 10 years time. Will be very interesting to see how he turns out in college and the pro's after his outstanding high school career so far.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Critic</b>!

Sure these two players have averaged 20 and 8 for their career...
but Magic Johnson averaged 19.5 ppg to go with 11.2 apg. Sure he didnt average the 20...but those stats may as well see him in that group.
True, but even if you throw Magic Johnson into it, and for all intents and purposes, one should, it's still a very rare feat.

And as far as Starbury being an all-time great, he isn't right now. But it's worth noting that he still has his entire prime to go. At 27, he's only entering his prime.

I think Marbury is one of the few point guards of the current era that could finish with a Hall of Fame career (Jason Kidd and Gary Payton are the others; LeBron James I'm counting as the "next" era and John Stockton the previous).

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

True, but even if you throw Magic Johnson into it, and for all intents and purposes, one should, it's still a very rare feat.

And as far as Starbury being an all-time great, he isn't right now. But it's worth noting that he still has his entire prime to go. At 27, he's only entering his prime.

I think Marbury is one of the few point guards of the current era that could finish with a Hall of Fame career (Jason Kidd and Gary Payton are the others; LeBron James I'm counting as the "next" era and John Stockton the previous).
I do not thiin Stephon is headed toward a HOF career. He is the Domiek Wilkens of PGs. A guy that is very flashy and puts up great stats but does not make his team better and is not a leader.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rynobot</b>!

I do not thiin Stephon is headed toward a HOF career. He is the Domiek Wilkens of PGs. A guy that is very flashy and puts up great stats but does not make his team better and is not a leader.
I don't understand why people say this. I guess you have to be old enough to watch Wilkins in his prime. Wilkens actually led the Hawks to arguably their most successful stretch of years. The combo of Wilkins, Doc Rivers and the ultra rebounder Kevin Willis resulted in the Hawks winning at least 50 games for 4 consecutive years in the mid to late 80s. In 86-87 he led the Hawks to a 57-25 record and during that 50 win span the Hawks advanced to the Eastern Semi-finals only to lose to the Celtics and Pistons. Wilkins and Bird had incredible battles during those series and in 87-88 came within one game of knocking out the powerful Celtics. Wilkins led his team to wins and he was the leader on those teams, Doc would tell you that. But unfortunately he was never able to lead his team to a title or even a finals berth and hence created this false assumption of him as you stated. But you must remember he played during a time in which some of the most powerful Eastern teams played. Marbury is NOT the PG version of Wilkins at all in a winning sense. Wilkens has proved he CAN win but that he cannot win the big one. Wilkens SHOULD be in the HOF, no question. If Alex English is in the HOF then Wilkins should be a shoe in. The NBA snubbed him of one of the top 50 players spots because of that ridiculous assumption that he cannot win. KG should then also be snubbed if a revised list is ever made.

As for Marbury, he just cannot win. He is a "loser" so to speak same as Reef. I have said this last year and now. I remember having numerous arguments with Suns fans last year about this topic especially when the Kidd vs. Marbury debates spawned. Amare was clearly the key to the Suns success last year and this year we see what Amare's absence has resulted. Don't get me wrong, Marbury is an outstanding and entertaining player but he is not a winner. But Marbury still has time to prove people wrong and now he will be heavily scrutinized by playing in NY probably more so than ever in his career. Now is the time he will be DEMANDED to answer the question of whether he is a winner or not.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bball_Doctor</b>!

Don't get me wrong, Marbury is an outstanding and entertaining player but he is not a winner.
Instead of just saying he's a "loser," why don't you point out precisely what Marbury does to lose while posting incredible stats for his team.

Because this strikes me as incredibly one-sided: When his team loses, it's defacto proof he's a "loser." When his team does surprisingly well...well, that was someone else who won, he's still a loser.

No doubt if he won a championship, he was just a lucky loser who went along for the ride with some winners?

What made Wilkins a leader or winner? Why wasn't that just Doc Rivers (as last years Suns were "Amare"), with Wilkins a loser along for the ride, as supposedly Marbury was last year?

This is precisely what I mean when I said "leadership" (or this alternate form "winning" quality) can be used as a totally random, inconsistant tool. Like the player? He clearly led his team, in good times and didn't have enough talent around him in bad times. Dislike the player for any reason? He's a loser, even when he wins.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
It depends on the context.

If they are going one on one, Marbury would destroy Cousy.

However, relevant to their own times, Cousy was a winner, Marbury has yet to reach the 2nd round.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Marbury is so passionately competitive... in the playoffs last season he was the heart and soul of his team, he gave them unlimited energy and confidence. They lost, but somebody has to lose. I gained a lot of respect for him as a leader and a competitor in that series.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Marbury !! Why do people keep saying he cant win, how many playoff series has KG won? The suns were picked as one of the worst teams in the NBA last year and they made the playoffs.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
Marbury !! Why do people keep saying he cant win, how many playoff series has KG won? The suns were picked as one of the worst teams in the NBA last year and they made the playoffs.
He is a great player, no doubt, but playoff success is what keeps him from joining the elite. Everyone knows how talented he, and KG, are but winning is what its all about.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
So why is KG the best player in the league? If the knicks got some players that can hit shots and play D they will go to the finals.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Marbury would easily defeat Cousy on-one-one, but 5 on 5 Cousy was a better player. He had eyes in the back of his head and always delivered the right pass at the right time. Cousy was also one of the best dribblers ever to play the game.

lol, but I guess people forget that Cousy was also from New York City (Queens).

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I don't think KG is the best player in the league, I think he may do the most, but if I could only have one person, I definitely take Shaq and TD before him.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts