Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Assuming no further trades are made this season... and that's not a given...

Where do you think the Cavaliers' will be in the draft? What picks do they have? Will they have a chance to get Emeka Okafor? If they do, what will happen to Carlos Boozer? If they don't get Okafor, who should they look at? Which point guard would be the best fit? Felton, Gordon? Telfair, Livingston? ;) Chris Duhon?

If they want a big man, should they look at Robert Swift?

One guy who's not in the draft this year, but is a very interesting prospect, is Greg Oden.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
NOT DENG PLEASE

No doubt, they should get one of the best defensive players projected to go high

Ideas other than Okafor?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I'm a big fan of Raymond Felton. I know they just traded for a point guard. But Felton is exactly what they are looking for in a tough point guard who can push the ball up the floor 90 miles an hour for the duration of the game.

They could draft Charlie Villinueve. He seemed to know where to be for Lebron's passing in the mcdonald's all-star game.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They could draft Charlie Villinueve. He seemed to know where to be for Lebron's passing in the mcdonald's all-star game.
Haha, that's true... I remember that. LeBron is the reason that Villaneuva looked so good in that game. He was finding him everywhere.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Wat about Andre Igoudala he is a very good defensive player who could team up with lebron on the wings. I think the Cavs pick will be too high for him though.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
maybe pavel, it's hard to say until he comes over and works out but he could be a championship maker if developed properly. he's a gamble.

okafor would be great, i think he can play center effectively in the NBA, i think he can play effectively alongside boozer. if Bosh can do it, i think okafor can too.

Ben Gordon would be another great pick, perhaps giving the cavs the best backcourt in the league a few years down the road.

Splitter might be nice, backing up the Boozer and maybe playing some SF.

with the raptor's pick i'd love to to see Josh Childress or Raymond Felton.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!

Haha, that's true... I remember that. LeBron is the reason that Villaneuva looked so good in that game. He was finding him everywhere.
You know, I would've agreed with this a few months ago, but now im not so sure. I see how he is doing in the NCAA and im confident he is the real deal. However, I think he should stay at least one more year to show what he can do without great teammates. In his career he has had Luol Deng, LeBron James, Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. Pretty good supporting cast, i would say.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Okafur-NBA Bust. He will not be a good NBA 5 and he is not capable of being a 4.

Telefair, lol....whatever GM would draft this guy should be shot.

First round I have no clue, but second round we should go after Marcus Moore. 6'6'' PG out of Wazzou. Nice handles, great passer and a good shooter. Would fit this offense perfectly.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CavsTalk</b>!
Okafur-NBA Bust. He will not be a good NBA 5 and he is not capable of being a 4.

First round I have no clue, but second round we should go after Marcus Moore. 6'6'' PG out of Wazzou. Nice handles, great passer and a good shooter. Would fit this offense perfectly.
First off, its Okafor. And no, he wont be a bust.

Second, Telefair is a quality PG. Dont talk about players when its obvious that you dont understand the game of basketball.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I don't think that Okafor will be a bust. But he just doesn't have the size to play the 5. I think his ability to block shots will make him a good player but I'm not sure how his offense will translate to the pro game as a 4.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing that concerns me about Okafor is his size... if he's legitimately 6'10", then he's cool, he'll be great. But I wouldn't want him if he's undersized. I'd like to see him next to some NBA players to see how big he really is.

He's got a good touch, and a good short-range shot... he's good around the basket. I don't know if he'll be a franchise player or close to it, probably not, but he's obviously a fundamentally strong, athletic bigman, and he works hard, plays hard, and by all accounts his basketball IQ is high, especially defensively. I'd say he's a can't-miss prospect to be at least a very good player.

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CavsTalk</b>!

nah, telfair gonna be a good point guard, BUT whoever makes a stupid a-- comment like THAT, should be!!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
They should draft Emeka if they can, I wouldn't worry about size that much. Lots of guys are drafted because of size and don't pan out.

Emeka is a solid pick that is best weak side defender in the draft, with some decent low post moves, also hustles.

Him and Boozer would make for a solid front court. In the back court you got Lebron and some other solid guys. Then get a solid SF and you got a pretty team

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Very important about Emeka: He has terrific hands. A lot of players seem to drop LeBron's passes because they're either not prepared or have brick for hands. Emeka catches everything in traffic and that would bode very well for Bron's assist numbers. The guy is a great finisher who can jam with the best of them.

I think the Cavs already have someone very similar to Pavel: DeSagana Diop. I'm I'd rather worry about developing Diop and leaving a project like Pavel alone. Diop has shown development on his jumpshot and has the potential to be a great defensive center in this league.

When Diop is ready, he'd be a great piece in a three-man Booze-Okafor-Diop rotation. Diop would play center, Booze would play PF, and Okafor would play both. There would be 32 minutes(give or take a few) for each of them.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I believe Okafor is closer to 6'9". I don't think that you can have him and Boozer on the same front line. Both are undersized.

Shaun Alexander is a possibility. Especially since the Cavs appear to be moving down in the draft. I love the idea of a 6'7" point guard to pair with LeBron and Wagner. The only negative is that he is a high schooler. I'm not sure that the Cavs want to go through those growing pains again.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Do the Cavs have any picks besides their own? There's still no telling where their pick may end up at. They might not even be in the lottery if this current momentum can keep up.

I really like the idea of drafting Chris Duhon. I think he's the closest you can get to the perfect point guard for the Cavaliers' situation. They don't need a point guard to score 20 points a game and make the All-Star team. They need an intelligent floor-leader and playmaker who can shoot the 3 and play defense. And on top of all that, there's the Duke connection. The Cavaliers are obviously very happy with their last Duke draft pick, and obviously Duhon would have great chemistry with Boozer; Boozer already has great chemistry with LeBron, so it's a good assumption that the three of them would play great together.

He'd provide everything they could want for years from the starting PG spot.

Or should they take Jameer Nelson?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anyone who believe Okafur will be a star in the NBA is kidding themselves.

He isn't a 4 and is not big enough to play the 5. He is a tweener. He might have a solid career, somewhere around the numbers Martin puts up, just a little bit lower. He won't be a difference maker, just a solid player. Sort of like Glenn Robinson, but a different person.

And to anyone who actually thinks that Telefair being drafted out of HS is a good idea...:laugh: :laugh: that just shows how much you know about basketball.

He is a very good PG, yes. But he wouldn't last in the NBA. He needs ATLEAST 2-3 years in college before he can even be considered a NBA caliber PG. Get serious to the jokesters that think he would do anything next year.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
The Cavs still owe a draft pick so if they actually were to make the playoffs they wouldn't have a pick at all this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Draft Pick

Jameer Nelson is the closest thing to Tim Hardaway "I got Skillz" that has come along in a while.

The contract situation with Jeff Mc is uncertain and there is no doubt that Jameer is the best PG in the enite draft.

...the Cleveland Cavaliers select Jameer Nelson out of St. Jospeh's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts