Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we know that he is likely gone will get high bids and for us it would be wiser not to match b/c of our cap situation.

we do need a good back up PF/C

do we just hand Bonner Yell's minutes and spot and start playing Pop as a C has the size 6"10 250?

or with how hoffa's development has gone (slow) do we get a quality big man like Chandler/swift?

toughs?

I dont think missing yell's 3's will be that hard to make up as Bonner is almost as good as yell from beyond the arc for a rookie, we should only hope that improves. We will have Alvin back plus a solid rookie PG Felton/williams/Jack all good from 3 plus all the others who can hit 3'

A Pop |Sow as the back up C
B Woods as the back up C
C FA

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Junkyard Dog13 said:
do we just hand Bonner Yell's minutes and spot and start playing Pop as a C has the size 6"10 250?

Yep.

Ideally we'd get a vet big with legit centre size who could tutor Hoffa a bit, too.

That would be my ideal summer as far as our front court is concerned.

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Banned
597 Posts
Perhaps this next year player scenario should be expanded to include the following::

Marshall is gone for more money and a longer contract.

Bonner is gone back to play in the States.

Palacio is dropped for PG draft picks.

Woods is gone.

A-Will's knees are still doubtful.

Some veteran benchers are possibly traded.

What could next year's Raptor roster look like if these things happen ??

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
MonsterBosh said:
Perhaps this next year player scenario should be expanded to include the following::

Woods is gone.

What if ________________ happens?

Dunno. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
MonsterBosh said:

Woods is gone.

The only thing that would hurt would be losing Bonner. But anyway, the roster might look like this:

C: Araujo, Sheldon Williams
PF: Bosh, Sow
SF: Rose, Murray
SG: MoPete, A-Will
PG: Alston, Jarret Jack

Plus whoever we got back in the trades of Eric Williams and Aaron Williams. What's wrong with that roster? A little thin in spots, but that's to be expected of a rebuilding club.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Is anyone else looking forward to watching PAPE SOW in the summer league this summer :clap:

I am personally ready for him to show his stuff. Anyway i think bonner is the answer to replace marshall, and i like the shelden williams suggestion

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Banned
597 Posts
Ballyhoo asks : "What's wrong with that roster? A little thin in spots, but that's to be expected of a rebuilding club."

C: Araujo, Sheldon Williams - Total rookies learning on the job?

PF: Bosh, Sow - I suppose if Bosh is expected to play 40+ minutes.

SF: Rose, Murray - Do you think that Murray is better than E-Will?

SG: MoPete, A-Will - An inconsistent softee and a near cripple for scoring?

PG: Alston, Jarret Jack - That's like going from "wild" to "wet"!!

I can't image subing Jack for Alston because the offense would flip-flop too much. I think it must be one or the other based on their playing styles. Otherwise things would get too schizoid for the team.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If we could get Tyson chandler at a good deal, I would jump at it. This guy is all out on defense and awesome on the offense glass getting rebounds. I know we won't get him, but it would be a dream come true for the raps if we did.

Woods needs to go
milt needs to go
alvin needs to go but won't cuz of his horrible contract
A3 needs to go - we need a good vet C for leadership and helping the young guys like bosh, hoffa, sow

There are going to have to be alot of changes if we bring in 3 new players from draft picks and hopefully a FA or 2. So room is going to have to be made.

This team needs a total rebuild. You can work on defense as much as you want. But if you don't have the talent in the players on the defensive end, you'll never amount to anything.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
monstor Bosh
Sheldon Williams is 6"9 250 he is not even on nbadraft.nets mocks not on 05's or 06's

why not develop Pop Sow into the back up C instead and Bonner is the back up PF.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
i'm not sure marshall's going to leave this summer. i think i'd rather see him go, but i'd be lying if i said that the raptors aren't in the best position to re-sign him.

i mean, who else is going to make him a substantial offer? for one thing, there aren't many teams who'll be sitting under the cap at all- he might be an MLE player for that reason alone. sure, atlanta, cleveland, the clips, charlotte and new orleans are almost guaranteed to be cap-friendly, but they might be the only group and there are surely "better" free agents who would contend for their cap room than one donyell marshall.

i rarely speculate, but i'd be surprised if marshall commanded more than the MLE from anyone- in fact, i'd be legitimately shocked. i think the raptors are still in the running if that's the going rate for his services, and it'll probably be an MLSE decision based on length of contract, not amount.

of course, if there turns out to be some al davis-like spender on the market this year, the raptors will probably let him walk. i mean, personally, i don't know if marshall's even worth the minimum for our team. veteran leadership is valuable, no doubt, but it isn't irreplaceable.

but still, i don't know if it really matters. i don't think marshall's going to get a monstrous contract this summer- the new cba being another reason- and if he doesn't, i wouldn't be surprised to see the raptors give him 3 yr/~17M. his bird rights are powerful this year...

i guess it's too bad we're talking about donyell marshall and not someone more valuable.

peace

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
The Nets are probably going to be interested as well should SAR not get better than MLE-level offers.

I was adamant about trading Marshall before. Now I am starting to think that we are going to try to re-sign him.

If part of the rebuilding process is paying 32-year olds end-heavy contracts to take minutes away from the young players we hope will be our core than I guess Babcock and I are on a different page.

I maintain that Marshall's value was at it's peak weeks ago and Babcock is either lazy or complacent for not trying hard to move him this season. I know people are going to feed me the line that "there was nothing out there!" but sixteen teams will be headed into the playoffs and you can't tell me one of them wouldn't have been willing to throw us a bone. I'm not talking about TradeChecker bull**** fan-trades, I'm talking about buying low and selling high, basic principals of business.

Babcock had rebuilding on his mind from day one and therefore has had an unlimited amount of time to conceive a trade for Marshall which, in my opinion, was an obvious and easy move.

While I've been critical of many of his moves since becoming a GM I'm still willing to give him time to let his plan develop, though, so don't think I am just raining on him out of nervousness or because I'm jaded.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Junkyard Dog13 said:
monstor Bosh
Sheldon Williams is 6"9 250 he is not even on nbadraft.nets mocks not on 05's or 06's
Yes he is, they have him going 8th in 2006. Draftcity has him going 12th in 2005 (likely about where we will have a pick).

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
nevermind. sorry

my posts suck when I re-read them. (I was whining about not trading Yell in the offseason)

There should be a delete button somewhere

·
Banned
597 Posts
Junkyard Dog13 said:
monstor Bosh
That was Ballyhoo's selection, not mine. I was only commenting on his selections.

As for: "who should we replace yell with?"

Does Alex English have any hops left .... cause he was great when I watched him play only a few years ago ... ???!!!!!

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is sheldon williams a polished player that could contribute fast, playabout 25 minutes a game as a C?
Is he smart cause I dont want us to take another C that will take time to develop.

Hoffa looks like he will be fully polished by the end of nxt year still clueless at times.

·
Banned
597 Posts
AReallyCoolGuy said:
Geez suit Sam up for that matter, he wasn't that bad of a player midway through his career.
Yeah sure ... Alex English and Sam Mitchell .... shock the basketball world by suiting them up for the decrepit Toronto Raptors .... Who needs rookie players when you can get decent veteran players on the cheap!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, perhaps the Raptors should get rid of all the pure 3-point shooters and concentrate on developing a driving team with young strong rookies. It they got rid of Marshall and Bonner, they would have to build on an inside game. Any team that depends on 3 point shooting to get out of the hole in an attempt to win games will never succeed in the NBA. I think that's pretty much evident.

Drop Marshall, Bonner and Murray and only keep Peterson and Rose for perimeter shooting. The Raptors have too many set shot artists and need better driving guards and forwards like Bosh.

·
Registered
569 Posts
MonsterBosh said:
Yeah sure ... Alex English and Sam Mitchell .... shock the basketball world by suiting them up for the decrepit Toronto Raptors .... Who needs rookie players when you can get decent veteran players on the cheap!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, perhaps the Raptors should get rid of all the pure 3-point shooters and concentrate on developing a driving team with young strong rookies. It they got rid of Marshall and Bonner, they would have to build on an inside game. Any team that depends on 3 point shooting to get out of the hole in an attempt to win games will never succeed in the NBA. I think that's pretty much evident.

Drop Marshall, Bonner and Murray and only keep Peterson and Rose for perimeter shooting. The Raptors have too many set shot artists and need better driving guards.
We need better driving guards so you want to cut any forward that can shoot? You don't make alot of sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts